so, i posted a topic a little while ago about "speaker clipping", i think i had the terms and what they meant wrong. I thought that when the little red light on my amp flickers on and off then it meant the speakers were clipping, i guess not.

anyways, my amp is 320w, 410 combo, and i play in a death metal band. at practice (i've played one live show with this amp, playing another on saturday) i turn my volume up so that i can be heard, and very often the little red light near the gain flickers on and off.

typically, i keep my gain somewhat below half and my volume somewhat above... what is this red light telling me, and am i causing damage to my amp?

also: i have simply tried turning my gain down, but then my overall volume is depleted and i drown out of the sound. if it makes any difference, i pluck pretty hard, but i also try to pluck across the strings rather than down onto the strings
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
Would that be the compressor?
If so, then that red light would be telling you that the amp is compreessing the signal slightly to stop you damaging the speaker (as far as I know)
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by gilly_90
If so, then that red light would be telling you that the amp is compreessing the signal slightly to stop you damaging the speaker (as far as I know)

Sounds about right, mine compresses constantly so regardless of volume the light flickers anyway I only use a smallish amount of compression though.
I am me. Live with it.
If your amp has a clipping light it may possibly have a compressor built in to keep the clipping from damaging your speakers. not gauranteed though. depends on the amp
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Little red lights do different things in different amps and you really should read the manual. Then you will know more than us.

Most amps have two controls for volume. One is usually near the input jack and is labelled gain and the other is usually at the other end of the controls and is labelled volume or master etc.

Inside your amp is divided into two electrically, the power amp makes the power to drive the speakers and needs a 'line input' of about 1volt to drive it. Inside the amp it gets this from the output of the master volume control but it may also have a line in socket.

The other part of your amp is the pre amp which sits between the input jack and the master volume. Its job is to take the few thousandths of a volt from your guitar and amplify it to the 1 volt that your power amp needs and it also deals with tone controls and effects if you have them.

Not all guitars have the same output and the gain control is part of the pre amp and it is designed for you to tweak until you send just 1volt to the master volume. You can then use the master volume to control the output of the amp from nothing to full output without unwanted distortion. My Ashdown has a meter to show the output from the pre amp and my guess is that is what your little red light is doing. To get the best sound turn the gain up until you just get the red light on the very loudest bits only, possibly turn it back a tiny bit, then adjust the sound level with the master control from then on. Better still read the manual.
Idk about your amp, but for mine, the red LED above the output volume is an indication of of power amp clipping...
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
just to clarify to everybody: i bought this amp used, no manual came with it. i did, however, just email the guy i bought it from asking about a manual.

Quote by gilly_90

there is a compressor button, i haven't ever pressed it as i dont know what it does. but yes, this whole time i've had my amp the compressors been off.

Quote by Phil Starr
Little red lights do different things in different amps and you really should read the manual. Then you will know more than us.

Most amps have two controls for volume. One is usually near the input jack and is labelled gain and the other is usually at the other end of the controls and is labelled volume or master etc.

Inside your amp is divided into two electrically, the power amp makes the power to drive the speakers and needs a 'line input' of about 1volt to drive it. Inside the amp it gets this from the output of the master volume control but it may also have a line in socket.

The other part of your amp is the pre amp which sits between the input jack and the master volume. Its job is to take the few thousandths of a volt from your guitar and amplify it to the 1 volt that your power amp needs and it also deals with tone controls and effects if you have them.

Not all guitars have the same output and the gain control is part of the pre amp and it is designed for you to tweak until you send just 1volt to the master volume. You can then use the master volume to control the output of the amp from nothing to full output without unwanted distortion. My Ashdown has a meter to show the output from the pre amp and my guess is that is what your little red light is doing. To get the best sound turn the gain up until you just get the red light on the very loudest bits only, possibly turn it back a tiny bit, then adjust the sound level with the master control from then on. Better still read the manual.

i'll try that, thanks.
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
I am assuming that the Eden Nemesis NC410 320 watt is just a combo box made up of their NA320 Bass Amp with the 410 Cabinet.

If so they call the little red light a "Set Level" light and it is used in conjunction with a procedure outlined in the NA320 manual which involves bypassing the built in compressor to make initial settings. Here is a link to the manual, page 10 is where you want to look.

http://www.eden-electronics.com/info/manuals/pdf/NA320_08-19-2005.pdf

Hope this helps you out.
Last edited by Quintex at Nov 20, 2009,
The description of the head in the manual sounds exactly the same as the controls on my amp, thanks for the find!!
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
For a second i thought this was about the drinking game.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul