As the title says, i'm trying to get the Andrew Stockdale's (Wolfmother) tone using my current rig, with no pedals however I have about $250 (Australian) to spend in effects.
My guitar is an epi g400 and my amp is a Vox Pathfinder 15r. All suggestions are welcome.
Thanks!
::::::Cherry Epiphone Les Paul Standard Custom Shop With Bigsby:::::
::::::Vox AC15VR::::::
I'm pretty sure he uses a Big Muff, but don't quote me on that
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
if you really want to get the guys tone save up for an orange/marshall amp

but since there isn't many of those going for $250, i suggest you try a boss metal zone (he uses one) or a roland beebop fuzz 2 (or a big muff would do fine)
but they'll only go so far without a good british voiced valve amp

hope it helps
+1,a good british voiced tube amp would do wonders,but on that budget,I'd recomend a fuzz pedal (my big muff ran me about $120) and if your really good with your money,a new bridge pick-up perhaps.

EDIT: Boost your mids and don't let the treble get out of control.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
You could probably do OK with a Big Muff. Get the one with tone wicker just so you have more versatility. Of course, you could probably get a lot better sound with a nice tube amp.
Quote by Rockford_rocks
HENDRIX WAS NOT MEANT TO GO WOOBLYWOOBLYWOOBLYWOOBLY!

He uses a Plexi, so really any good Brit voiced tube amp would get you close. You could use a Big Muff, but I'd just go with a better amp and maybe an overdrive. I doubt the Pathfinder would take a Muff very well.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
maybe save some cash and check you local used amps for something british voiced like a laney or peavey classic?
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

Quote by marvelboy_04
maybe save some cash and check you local used amps for something british voiced like a laney or peavey classic?

Yeah, my Laney can do Wolfmother and the Peavey Classics are supposed to sound a lot like them so you can't really go wrong.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by rhcp_freak
He uses a Plexi, so really any good Brit voiced tube amp would get you close. You could use a Big Muff, but I'd just go with a better amp and maybe an overdrive. I doubt the Pathfinder would take a Muff very well.

Did he switch?

I know with the first incarnation of Wolfmother he used Oranges; I think OR120s... maybe Rockers. By the looks of the Live Earth vids I think it was OR120s.

STREDIT: Just looked it up. Seems he used Thunderverbs and AD30s.

But anything Brit voiced will do.

I'll fourth the Muff, but get a Russian BM. So much better. Or a StompUnderFoot clone.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Nov 21, 2009,
His old amps(original wolfmother) were an Ac30 or a Roockerverb 50 with the occasional Plexi. He now(new Wolfmother) uses only Ac30 and Plexis. He uses pure vintage SGs with an occasional 335 and the only pedals he uses are a Fulltone Wah and an EHX Microsynth and sometimes a flanger.
Pedals will do exactly nothing to get your tone closer to his, it's all about the amp at this stage.

You need a cheap valve amp with a similar sort of voicing (used Classic 30, Laney VC30 etc).
Quote by stratman_13
Did he switch?

I know with the first incarnation of Wolfmother he used Oranges; I think OR120s... maybe Rockers. By the looks of the Live Earth vids I think it was OR120s.

STREDIT: Just looked it up. Seems he used Thunderverbs and AD30s.

But anything Brit voiced will do.

I'll fourth the Muff, but get a Russian BM. So much better. Or a StompUnderFoot clone.

I think I read a few interviews and saw a couple pics of him with a Plexi. But yeah, anything British really. StompUnderFoot Muff clones are amazing, nightraven has a Civil War Muff clone from them.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Thanks for all your help guys. At the moment I can't afford to invest in another amp, and I am really just trying to get a bit close to his sound just so I can play a lot of rock from the 60s/70s.
I am looking at getting the Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi (Russian), should this do me for my distortion/fuzz effects? Also, does anyone have recommendations for a cheap wah pedal?
Thanks
Hey there again, I have come up with the idea to buy from US where the AUD goes alot further. I plan on buying from worldmusicsupply.com. So, it looks like I will be able to get the US Big Muff Pi, Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah, MXR Super Comp, and the behringer Eq70 Equalizer to help boost my mids and add extra eq where the pathfinder lacks.
If you can spend all that money on pedals, then you can definitely afford to get a Peavey Classic 30 combo used.

Seriously a new amp will get you closer to the sound than pedals will. Also avoid Behringer.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
The thing is, a Peavey Classic used will cost way more here in Australia than getting all those pedals sent over here to Australia