Sorry this ended up a bit long. I just want to make sure I get the right thing because the store here has an iffy returns policy and with my old amp dead I'm really keen to get a new one ASAP.
IN SHORT can the ValveKing handle slightly less heavy rock tones or is it exclusively a metal amp and does it suffer from hissing at the very high volumes as a minority of reviews say?

A store here just got in a second hand Peavey ValveKing head. I've been looking for a new amp and this one seems pretty good but reviews of it are really mixed. The store doesn't like you to blast their windows out so I've not been able to try the amp at anything more than bedroom levels, I've read in a couple of reviews at higher volumes it squeals and hisses a lot though most of the reviews don't mention this at all. It's a 100w head so I thought that meant it should have a lot of head room and be able to handle higher volume better?

I play mostly hard rock, emo, pop-punk, a little bit of grunge. I occasionally play a little bit of blues and classic rock but not very often. I use an Epiphone Firebird with Gibson 57 Classic pickups and a Fender Thinline Telecaster with stock pickups and a Gibson SG Special with a Seymour Duncan Custom 5 and a Phat Cat in the neck. I'm wondering if I could get kind of Foo Fighters to Green Day to AC/DC type tones out of this head. I've only been able to try it out in the store with a normal Epiphone LP Studio and it seemed to handle what I want okay when I tried it with that but lots of reviews say Peavey amps can only really do metal. Also the cab in the store is a huge Peavey full stack, I don't know if it's a good one or a bad one. They didn't seem to know exactly what model of cab it was in there. The cab I have at the moment was a Marshall MG cab but I totally redid the inside and it has two 12" Celestion seventy-80 speakers in there now. It's not a great cab but it works and I can't justify buying a new cab too.

I don't have a lot of money so I can't afford anything like a Marshall JCM800 head and my Orange Tiny Terror died on me and wasn't quite powerful enough anyway. I think the ValveKing seems like it could be a good replacement and since this one is second hand it's pretty cheap but the mixed reviews are putting me off a bit.

Or I'm open to any other suggestions but I've only really got about £300, £350 max to spend. This ValveKing is £210.
Last edited by grohl1987 at Nov 19, 2009,
The ValveKing isn't a bad amp, and it should be able to do what you want.

I see you mentioned the JCM800 in your post. The Peavy Windsor is very similar to a JCM800 circuit wise, and they go on E-bay frequently for under $300. Just a thought.
Quote by Matt420740
The ValveKing isn't a bad amp, and it should be able to do what you want.

I see you mentioned the JCM800 in your post. The Peavy Windsor is very similar to a JCM800 circuit wise, and they go on E-bay frequently for under $300. Just a thought.

Windsor has less gain than the 800. with my ts9 tube screamer infront of it, it can get the same gain. for what he wants it might not be enough for him if he isn't trying to use pedals.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
I do have a crappy Boss overdrive pedal and an EQ pedal that has a level control so I can up my output quite easily. Gain's not so much of a problem, like I said I don't play metal or anything. It's more just hard to find something in the middle. It seems like every amp, cab, pedal and guitar in the world is either made for modern shred metal or made for 70's blues-rock.

I'll look into the Windsor then. I like that it's got a master volume control, more amps need that.
Quote by grohl1987
I do have a crappy Boss overdrive pedal and an EQ pedal that has a level control so I can up my output quite easily. Gain's not so much of a problem, like I said I don't play metal or anything. It's more just hard to find something in the middle. It seems like every amp, cab, pedal and guitar in the world is either made for modern shred metal or made for 70's blues-rock.

I'll look into the Windsor then. I like that it's got a master volume control, more amps need that.

I think you'll really like the Windsor. Google "Windsor JCM 800" and you'll see plenty of threads about how similar they are in design. Theres also a lot of mods that are well documented for the Windsor as well, and for the price they sell for you can't go wrong.
The thing only gets really squeely and hissy if you're trying to coax real heavy metal tones out of it, something you probably won't have too much of an issue with. If it ever does become a problem you can just put it to rest with a noise suppressor pedal.
It definitely is a modders amp, but I mean I think it sounds great for it's price, greater when you've got some good speakers to run it through.

My only other suggestion would be the Windsor (with an OD pedal infront) or a Bugera 333xl (they sound fantastic for the price, but mostly accell at real heavy metal stuff so it might not be what you're looking for.)
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
what about the bugera 1990? isnt that based on the circuit of a jcm900?
i think that would be a good alternative
Gear
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400 White
Line 6 Flextone III+
Line 6 Spider III 120 (for sale £90)
Well I spent most of today phoning around shops. Nobody stocks Bugera amps so they're out. I'm not a fan of buying online blindly. One place has a Windsor in but they say it's £375, ouch. Guess I could try it there then buy it somewhere online for less if it's any good. Two places have that Laney so I'll try those sometime soon too.

Bumping for any other suggestions/opinions?