I have a line 6 toneport which i plug into directly as of now and use amplitube amp simulator. But i was thinking today, i have a line 6 spider 2 amp which sounds great for what i play(metal). Could I plug my guitar into my spider 2 amp>then use a 1/4" male to male to go from my headphones jack on my amp to my line 6 toneport then into the computer?

I would be using this to get more control over my tone pre-production. I would use a clean tone on gearbox afterwords to just perfect the tone with post delay or whatever. Also would it work for vocals running thru my spider 2 then to toneport then computer? for more control?
Quote by 7DaySkeptic
That's the most honest thread title I've ever seen.
To do what you're wanting here, instead of going from the headphone out, use a direct box instead. Run your guitar into your direct box, then from the direct box into the toneport, then use the link out on your direct box to go to your Spider 2 and then go from the Spider 2 to your toneport. Clean signal and Spider 2 signal. DI boxes aren't very expensive.
Quote by Matthias King
To do what you're wanting here, instead of going from the headphone out, use a direct box instead. Run your guitar into your direct box, then from the direct box into the toneport, then use the link out on your direct box to go to your Spider 2 and then go from the Spider 2 to your toneport. Clean signal and Spider 2 signal. DI boxes aren't very expensive.

damn... I'd need a schematic for that
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Ok, on my spider 2 it has a headphones/direct out plug. would that be the same thing? Also i have set this up now and tried it out, in gearbox on a clean channel sounds great, just like i was playing thru my amp except that sound comeout my desktop speakers now. In Amplitube metal however when i add the spider 2 into the mix i get a hissing sound in the background even when on a clean channel on the spider 2. Any advice?

Sorry if this is getting confusing, if somebody wants i can draw out a schematic of it all. I f u understand it tho can someone point me in the right direction?
Quote by 7DaySkeptic
That's the most honest thread title I've ever seen.
I'm really not sure what would be causing the hissing sound. Honestly the DI box route is what I would most recommend. The main reason being that DI boxes are designed to do the kind of thing you're wanting to do, and do it without coloring the sound or adding any noise or anything.

I don't know if you're getting some noise or interference from the direct out on your Spider 2, or a bad cable, or what. There are many things that could be the problem.

If you asked some of the other experienced guys on here, I'm pretty confident they would likely also recommend the DI box route. You can usually pick up a good, usable DI box for well under $50.