I just re stringed my Schecter with a Floyd Rose, and the G string sounded really weird, so i tried a new string to see if maybe it was a bad string but no, the problem still persists

the best way that i can describe the problem is that it sounds like its got fret buzz, but none of the other strings has it and i raised the bridge, no luck

the notes dont ring clearly, and die out a lot faster than they should, they only last about 3 seconds top and then they fade away

even the harmonics are messed up!

I put up an mp3 file in my profile to compare the sound of the good strings vs the messed up G string, it actually sounds a lot worse in real life, the recording made it sound decent

all the notes that sound a bit fuzzy and weird, and almost as if there was another note playing are the ones playing in the G string

what could possibly be the problem? please help! I got a show coming soon D:
Schecter Synyster Gates Custom
Peavey Vypyr 75w
that happens when you string your girlfriend's panties on your guitar instead of real strings

Not actually, but actually, you should look at the saddle and the bridge for any faults, and especially recheck if the way you stringed it was correct
inb4gstringjoke
/ assfaceness

Sounds like intonation? Google it, it might solve your problems
X JAPAN
yoshiki.toshi.pata.hide.heath/taiji

---------------

"desert rose, why do you live alone..." - yoshiki
of course i worded it like that on purpose ^^ but anyway

intonation is fine on all strings, haromonics and regular notes on both the 12th and 24th fret ring out the same note... its just that in both cases, along with everything else, sounds like its fading off

the way i stringed it was the same way i always do and ive never had this problem before... i do remember the little thing of the saddle coming off on the G string, (the little thing you gotta twist with a key in order to get the string in and out) but that has happened before because sometimes i screw it out too much (oh geez...) but i just put it back in, and it has always worked fine

another big difference is that this time, im using a .12-.56 set, I added an extra spring in the back in order to balance out the tension on the Floyd, but the intonation is fine on all strings, and everything else is fine except for the G string

How exactly should I check the saddle and bridge for damage?
Peavey Vypyr 75w
Quote by Lespauljames
im sorry but how the heck can you tell if theres a buzz if your playing with DISTORTION!!!

Easy, its there when im playing unplugged too
Peavey Vypyr 75w
you clip sounded like you just noodling around.

did you happen to change string gauge?

EDIT: i see that you did. how much did you raise the bridge? maybe you just need a truss rod adjustment.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Last edited by Gundamnitpete at Nov 19, 2009,
Quote by Gundamnitpete
you clip sounded like you just noodling around.

did you happen to change string gauge?

EDIT: i see that you did. how much did you raise the bridge? maybe you just need a truss rod adjustment.

Basically was, it was the beggining of the solo of Iron Maiden's Flash of The Blade, played on the 3 highest strings to see the sound difference (besides pitch, of course)
and then going up and down the neck on the G string

I raised the bridge enough to see that it wasnt the problem, should i adjust the truss rod counterclockwise or clockwise?
Peavey Vypyr 75w
I've been fighting that same issue on two of my guitars although on the high e string, the culprit in both cases has been wear on the saddles and bridge. Both of them were floating bridges (a Floyd Rose and the non-locking Ibanez floater on the S-series).

What's worked for me has been going to a heavier gauge string, it keeps it our of the worn areas and the extra mass is a little more resistant to buzzing out.

Failing that working, you can try taking off a saddle from another string and swapping it with the one for the g string and seeing if that solves your problem.
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
Quote by xJuan91x
Basically was, it was the beggining of the solo of Iron Maiden's Flash of The Blade, played on the 3 highest strings to see the sound difference (besides pitch, of course)
and then going up and down the neck on the G string

I raised the bridge enough to see that it wasnt the problem, should i adjust the truss rod counterclockwise or clockwise?

i've never had to adjust one of my truss rods so i dunno, someone will chime in soon tho i assume.
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
I accidently broke the string that I was trying, a .24 so i replaced it after i messed around with the saddle some more... needless to say, the problem is gone now that i used a .18. I hope that i fixed the saddle, and not that it simply doesnt work with the heavier gaugue

the B string is .16 so it feels really weird...

is there any way to make the saddle work with the .24?

they are both Ernie Balls, Power Slinky and Not Even Slinky for the heavier one
Peavey Vypyr 75w
switch to DR?

Lolwut?
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
check the saddle screws, and adjust them. If it doesn't help you should look more into the neck. See if there is a problem with one of the frets, or adjust the truss rod - the neck might be a little twisted, which might be because of dry wood, weather changes, etc.
Member of Bugera Users Militia
- Ibanez JPM P3 (John Petrucci Signature)
- Bugera 333XL 212
- MXR Phase 90 EVH
- Electro Harmonix Memory Boy
dont just adjust the rod. the wrong way can break the neck.

what you should do instead is measure the necks angle.

fret the low E first fret, at the same time,
fret the low E last fret, where the neck and body meet.

with both places held, look at the middle part of the neck.

does the string lay on the fret wire there?

measure and repost.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
ok but before you waste more time recording fret buzz, just measure the neck and post.

and if there's not enough middle gap, i'll talk you through an adjustment.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Nevermind, the problem is still there >.>

ok jj, i did what you told me to, theres about a little less than 1mm between the 7th fret wire and the string when i hold down the 1st and 24th

Although the string never touches the wire anywhere on the middle of the neck

the main problem is that everyone on the neck (even open) the notes dont ring out clearly, and the sustain is greatly reduced, specially on the 12+ frets
Peavey Vypyr 75w
Last edited by xJuan91x at Nov 19, 2009,
but it still sounds bad even with the gaugue ive always used

and with no guitar shops anywhere near i have to fix it on my own

buy new saddles perhaps?
Peavey Vypyr 75w
is the 24th where the neck and body meet?

also, your thread is confusing. are you using the correct gauges that make up one pack of strings?

1. saddle adjustments wont help. as you've found out they only help more the strings up at the higher frets. your strings are probably touching at the first few frets and open, like you've said.

2. yes thicker gauge strings sometimes cut into the nut more and cause problems even when you return to lighter gauges. the cuts are already there.

3. you might be able to get some help by adding a little more relief to the neck.
you would do this by turning 1/4 turn Counter Clockwise.

don't force the truss rod, and leave the guitar in tune while it settles.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Nov 19, 2009,
Quote by jj1565

also, your thread is confusing. are you using the correct gauges that make up one pack of strings?

1. saddle adjustments wont help. as you've found out they only help more the strings up at the higher frets. your strings are probably touching at the first few frets and open, like you've said.

2. yes thicker gauge strings sometimes cut into the nut more and cause problems even when you return to lighter gauges. the cuts are already there.

3. you might be able to get some help by adding a little more relief to the neck.

even the harmonics are messed up, its not fret buzz, i said it kinda sounded like it, besides even the harmonics are messed up, and the problem is still there when i play the 24th fret so i think that rules out fret buzz, right? and leaves the problem somewhere between the bridge and saddle

would a cut nut also affect fretted notes?

Ok, i did what u said with the truss rod, gave it around 20 minutes to settle, problem continues
Peavey Vypyr 75w
Quote by me before

you're saying that the open strings buzz and that the highest frets are dead,
that you've tried bridge adjustments already.

Quote by you
even the harmonics are messed up,that's got to do with fret placement

its not fret buzz, i said it kinda sounded like it, and the problem is still there when i play the 24th fret so i think that rules out fret buzz, right? that and dead frets, are fret buzz

and leaves the problem somewhere between the bridge and saddle
if you have a problem with a buzzing saddle then that's a loose part and completely different from fret buzz. that's a buzz that stops when you strum and touch the bridges parts, and does not stop notes from ringing out.
would a cut nut also affect fretted notes? yes if the cuts are low

Ok, i did what u said with the truss rod, gave it around 20 minutes to settle, problem continues
if you measured correctly before, i dont know because you didnt answer the question of where you fret, then the relief you added isnt going to hurt, and you can measure again, hopefully correctly and see how much middle gap you now have.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Nov 19, 2009,
Alright...

No im not using a single pack of strings, although the problem was there anyway when i was, i put on a new string to see if it was just a damaged string, its slightly smaller than the other one but it does the job fine, they're the same brand too

if you're talking about where the neck and body FIRST meet, while there's still more frets ahead, that'd be the 19th fret and if i fret it and the 1st, the string touches frets 15-19 but then the gap gets bigger lower down the neck and doesnt touch the fret wire up until the first fret

theres a tiny space between the fret wire and the 12th fret (while im holding 1st and 19th down) of less than a milimeter

high frets arent completely dead, they ring out for like 2 seconds and then they die, dunno if that makes a difference, lower frets sound messed up too but they have more sustain than the higher ones

open AND fretted notes buzz (or at least sound like they do), but only on the G string and on the low E string (ive always had that issue though >.>

All other strings are fine.
Peavey Vypyr 75w
Quote by Pac_man0123
Well for starters your guitar sounds generally out of tune. Maybe that's just me.

Nope, just 1 step down
Peavey Vypyr 75w
Quote by xJuan91x
Alright...

No im not using a single pack of strings, although the problem was there anyway when i was, i put on a new string to see if it was just a damaged string, its slightly smaller than the other one but it does the job fine, they're the same brand too

if you're talking about where the neck and body FIRST meet, while there's still more frets ahead, that'd be the 19th fret and if i fret it and the 1st, the string touches frets 15-19 but then the gap gets bigger lower down the neck and doesnt touch the fret wire up until the first fret

theres a tiny space between the fret wire and the 12th fret (while im holding 1st and 19th down) of less than a milimeter

high frets arent completely dead, they ring out for like 2 seconds and then they die, dunno if that makes a difference, lower frets sound messed up too but they have more sustain than the higher ones

open AND fretted notes buzz (or at least sound like they do), but only on the G string and on the low E string (ive always had that issue though >.>

All other strings are fine.

ok yes, now we're getting somewhere.
and yes this is a horrible process, but if we get a good back and forth of info going, we might be able to make this guitar more playable.

so when you hold the 1st and the 19th, you have a tiny gap, still less than a millimeter.

in other words, there;s no way you could hold the 1st and 19th and fit a credit card at the middle gap? (around the 7-9th)

because if there's only the smallest of middle relief, then you should still be able to
adjust another 1/4 turn, not forcing the turn and leaving it in tune to settle.

it might just be that you dont have enough middle relief yet, so the strings are touching frets and "fretting out"

also, here's another thing you can try, just to check the height at the nut cuts.
basically you want to fret at the 3rd, tap the first couple of frets and see if the string is laying flat on them.
here's a picture tutorial...
http://www.frets.com/FRETSpages/Musician/GenSetup/NutAction/nutaction.html

i'm just curious, because only a couple of things can be happening here...

the nut cuts are too low,
the neck in in the pocket at a bad angle and needs a shim,
the bridge is dipped into the body of the guitar, not level,
and/or
the neck is back bowed.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62