I've been thinking about getting a harmonica for some bluesy stuff and some people have told me it's pretty easy to learn, others have told me it's extremly hard...
I know it's all reletive but compared to, I don't know, learning the basics of guitar how easy is it to learn?
well people can play harmonica and guitar at the same time so i cant see it being excesively hard if both can be played at the same time
Quote by hb15577
well people can play harmonica and guitar at the same time so i cant see it being excesively hard if both can be played at the same time

Very talented/skillful people play both at the same time. Blues harp is pretty much like learning any other instrument. Playing both at the same time is (for me) harder than singing while playing. But who knows? You might pick it up faster than I did.
It's pretty easy, you just need to spend most of the time "drawing" (ie sucking instead of blowing) and a harmonica that's in the key a 5th above the one you're playing in, so an A harmonica for playing in E blues, a D harmonica for playing in A etc, etc.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
depends on how "good" you want to be...check little walter...sonny boy williamson...jimmy reed...paul butterfield...

a wide field of styles there...

play well

wolf
Quote by wolflen
depends on how "good" you want to be...check little walter...sonny boy williamson...jimmy reed...paul butterfield...

a wide field of styles there...

play well

wolf

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been listening to Little Walter for hours now

From everyones responses I've gathered that it's sort of easy but not 'pick-up-and-play' easy.
I've decided on this harmonica incase anyone cares
http://www.onlinemusicstore.com.au/index.php?page=showProduct&id=HHBHC
To be honest I would just buy the cheapest harmonica to start, I think you can get some for 10$ or less, just to see if you stick with it. If you do, then you can go for the $55 one. Plus, paying out $10 a harp means you can get 5 different keys for the price you're willing to spend on that one, you can cover almost every common blues key with five harmonicas!
Quote by st.stephen
To be honest I would just buy the cheapest harmonica to start, I think you can get some for 10$ or less, just to see if you stick with it. If you do, then you can go for the $55 one. Plus, paying out $10 a harp means you can get 5 different keys for the price you're willing to spend on that one, you can cover almost every common blues key with five harmonicas!

Well, what real differences are there between a $10 harmonica and a $50 harmonica?
Quote by Kyle1029384756
Well, what real differences are there between a $10 harmonica and a $50 harmonica?

To someone just beginning the harmonica, very little. I bought a $10 Hohner harp, made of plastic instead of wood. For the amount of time I play it (very little), it serves me just fine. What I'm getting at is that you should buy an inexpensive one to start out on and learn the basics, because you probably won't notice a difference in sound quality until you get better at it and if you don't stick with it, you'll have only spent ten dollars.
Quote by Kyle1029384756
I've been thinking about getting a harmonica for some bluesy stuff and some people have told me it's pretty easy to learn, others have told me it's extremly hard...
I know it's all reletive but compared to, I don't know, learning the basics of guitar how easy is it to learn?

it depends. its not too hard to get some basic licks down. but if you want to be known as a harmonica player, it can be hard. just learn the blues scale and how to bend holes 3 and 4 to start and you can start playing harp right away. or, if you want to play more folk type stuff, all you need to know is your keys and relative minors.

for bob dylan type stuff, you just need to play straight harp. not a lot of bending and mostly played in the key of the harp unlike blues which is usually in cross harp. just play it and you will figure it out. just know that all the blow notes create the tonic chord all the way up. so in a minor key with straight harp, you should resolve on a draw note, not a blow note.
I hated it...i couldn't do it, i mean yeah i could play but it just didn't do it for me. To each his own i suppose. i say go for it 10 bucks isn't a huge gamble.

listen to ron shellist on youtube he's great and does some pretty good lessons
Quote by SKAtastic7770
I'd assume the hardest part is bringing yourself to buy a harmonica.

well one shouldnt cost much, but to play in all keys would. you can find some sets however. i got a blues set by hohner for like 35 bucks. 7 harps in the most used keys. obviously, they arent the best harps around. but its enough to start you off. you can add to the set to when you have the money. start by adding the missing keys and then slowly replace the others too with a better harp like a marine band.
Ended up getting the $55 harp.

It's in C and I'm just trying to learn a few thigs. 12 bar blues seems like a good starting place. Came up with a shuffle sort of thing. Bending is a pain in the arse...
Anyone know a good starting place to learn? A song or a book or a video or something?