Hey guys, I'm looking for a Telecaster, preferably Fender that can handle distortion or overdrive and get some heavy tones but will be mainly for blues. I don't know much about Fenders so any advice will be appreciated
Around R3000 to R6000, thats like around $430 to $850. Just a little Aria AG-10 10w practice amp.... will be upgrading that before hand though. The Tele must have some really nice cleans too.
American Deluxe Telecaster series? It has noiseless pickups
i have the jim root, it can handle distortion and play great cleans. it cost a lil more though
I wouldn't bother getting an American Standard. The MIMs are really good, and doesn't necessarily warrant paying out a bit more. As for the American Deluxe that will probably be too expensive for you.

I'd say get a Mexican Standard and then when you feel like it change the pickups. The rest of the hardware on them is good, the neck is nice and they play really well and have decent jumbo frets. It is the most rugged guitar I've ever played and sounds and feels great.

That, or get a custom. The 72 Custom plays nicely and has a humbucker which gives good variety. May fit what you want to do better but is more expensive.
Quote by Sean-R-Pruski
i have the jim root, it can handle distortion and play great cleans. it cost a lil more though

Been looking at the Jim Root Tele but I'm trying to avoid EMG actives.

Thanks for the advice, I'll take a better look at the Jim Root sig, Mexican and Custom Telecasters.
Had a Highway one model for a year. Really liked it, I think go for it. Good buy for that price range. Really liked the bridge pickup.
+1 on the 72 Custom Tele idea, with the humbuckers that apparently sound about halfway between a humbucker and a single coil, it'd probably be just right for what you said it needs to be able to do.

My other idea though when I read the first post was a MIM Tele and change the pickups for something like Texas Specials (or similar)? They're a bit higher output than standard but still in more of a blues-suited output range.
Yeah I think I'll go for the 72' custom or MIM... just got to find a left handed one which will be a bit of a bastard but oh well
Quote by Biffman
Hey guys, I'm looking for a Telecaster, preferably Fender that can handle distortion or overdrive and get some heavy tones but will be mainly for blues. I don't know much about Fenders so any advice will be appreciated

Don't forget to go used, also to cover the most broad range of tones, usually needs a pickup change.
Quote by pete-c
+
My other idea though when I read the first post was a MIM Tele and change the pickups for something like Texas Specials (or similar)? They're a bit higher output than standard but still in more of a blues-suited output range.

I am going to make this change at some point. Unfortunately it's hard to find somewhere where I can try one out with the new pickups...