A bandmate and I were having a conversation the other day about guitars and our next guitar purchases.

He was interested in getting a Jackson Flying V but couldn't find one in his price range that was neck-thru (among other things). Anyways he was going to settle on a cheaper model and I urged him to wait until he could buy one of the higher end models. The roof of his spending was around $600.

In any case I was reminded of what a friend of mine told me one time about buying a new guitar. He said it was a waste of time to buy a guitar under the 1k mark. (Naturally we weren't talking about first guitars or anything)
So I brought that argument up to my bandmate and it started a debate.

I was curious as to what some of you more experienced guitarists input was on this matter.

In a related note I have been considering saving up for a Caparison Orbit Pro. It is a $3,000 plus guitar and I am just trying to justify the purchase.
You dont have to justify anything if thats what you want, but you also dont have to spend that kind of money to get a great guitar.
^ that basically.

There are some perfectly good guitars for under 1000. Guitars that are above that tend to be big named brands/models or rare guitars. This being said, you can get some very, very good guitars and you would have to be fairly thick to end up buying a guitar that's of low quality at that price.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
I guess my question was is the Caparison going to be that much nicer to justify spending that kind of change??
When you start going into the price range of $1,000 or more, especially around $3,000, you're either paying for the brand name, or the guitar is using the best woods it possibly can. There are acoustics made by small luthiers that range into the $15,000+ range. It's just about what it's made out of and the sort.

Though, just get a used high quality guitar, save your money. You'd be suprised at how much price drops just from buying second hand.
Quote by Techofthegods
I guess my question was is the Caparison going to be that much nicer to justify spending that kind of change??

Strictly speaking you can get much more options at the $3K mark. My mate who owned a Frozen Sky TAT said that he felt the price rises for this year were within a reasonable rate and that they were being priced accordingly for the guitars, I personally felt that they priced themselves out of the market but I still love my Dellinger and would never trade it for anything else in the world.
My buddy has a Jackson Custom Shop King V that he brought from a used instrument dealer it cost him 3500 USD. He justified by saying that it was his for being in the USAF.

I bought a Jackson WR1 for $3500 just to get it since it was the only one in the whole area. but now i regret buying since there are 4 in the area that i live in.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Last edited by dark Mass at Nov 19, 2009,
regardless of quality, i wouldn't know if i could ever justify spending $3k on a guitar. unless i happened to poop money.

There are plenty of option in the $600 range that would perform more than ably for your and your friends purposes. I've been playing for 13 and a half years and my most expensive guitar doesn't even break the $500 mark. (not to say that i'd say "no thanks" if someone were to just drop a caparison Dellinger at my front door for free) But really, i felt that guitar consistently fulfills my needs and there wasn't any need to go higher, unless i wanted more gold plating or a different finish.

If your friend keeps looking on craigslist and the like, he's bound to find a wicked deal. I can under stand that he's got $600 and wants to get his guitar now, but i'd agree he should be patient and get the absolute best he can, otherwise he'll only be shorting himself in the end.

On an unrelated note, i'll mention that i wanted to hang myself for not having the money when a person on victorias craigslist had an ibanez universe go for about $600..

happy hunting!
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Tell him to buy a used Jackson RR5.

Doable within his price range and they sound awesome

I should've never traded mine away
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Expensive instruments in my book are worth it- just spend your money wisely. You get the highest quality materials, great build quality and good electronics that the other price classes cannot match.

After you've been playing for a while, a more discerning taste forms in a players head as to what they need and want their instrument to do.

Some people just do not like buying used, no matter how much they can save. There is something special about that "new guitar case smell" and unwrapping a new instrument that to some, is almost priceless. However, if your friend is looking to save substantially on a USA made instrument, your friend should look into the used markets, as another poster said, youd be surprised at how much the price just comes down. Just be sure to closely inspect the instrument and play it.
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
Quote by Mazzakazza
Never played a Caparison. The general consensus is that they're incredible, but I don't know if they're $3k incredible.

$3k is somewhat cheap for an instrument especially a top of the line, feel good that guitars are so cheap.
Sometimes you can get what you want for less than a grand, sometimes you can't. You can see that I've got some nice guitars, but I'm still very close to buying a Squier Duo Sonic, because it's what I want.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Vlasco
$3k is somewhat cheap for an instrument especially a top of the line, feel good that guitars are so cheap.

No, it's not. You can get a custom-built instrument for the same price or less.
Quote by Techofthegods
A bandmate and I were having a conversation the other day about guitars and our next guitar purchases.

He was interested in getting a Jackson Flying V but couldn't find one in his price range that was neck-thru (among other things). Anyways he was going to settle on a cheaper model and I urged him to wait until he could buy one of the higher end models. The roof of his spending was around $600.

In any case I was reminded of what a friend of mine told me one time about buying a new guitar. He said it was a waste of time to buy a guitar under the 1k mark. (Naturally we weren't talking about first guitars or anything)
So I brought that argument up to my bandmate and it started a debate.

I was curious as to what some of you more experienced guitarists input was on this matter.

In a related note I have been considering saving up for a Caparison Orbit Pro. It is a $3,000 plus guitar and I am just trying to justify the purchase.

Carvin would like to have a word with your friend.
Personally, I would say save up until you can afford exactly what you're after, because if you buy less, you're still going to want the other and then eventually you'll be out a few hundred dollars. The trick is to explore your options: You can save up for that $3,000 Caparison, or you can build a guitar that's perfect for you, with boutique pickups and a gorgeous top, with Warmoth for half of that.

Look at this. This is a Warmoth build belonging to a UG member here named steel337.

Swamp ash body with a quilted maple top, Goncolo Alves neck, ebony fretboard, stainless steel super jumbo frets, Graphtec nut, Sperzel locking tuners, stainless steel Guitar Fetish trem, Dimarzio Area '58 neck, '61 middle, Duncan Pearly Gates bridge. Grand total? Just under $1,300. Your friend should do that.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
Quote by Mazzakazza
No, it's not. You can get a custom-built instrument for the same price or less.

He means compared to other instruments. Try getting a nice violin, piano or cello for that much money, for instance...
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Kurapica
He means compared to other instruments. Try getting a nice violin, piano or cello for that much money, for instance...

Exactly... my violin is ok but by no means nice... and I paid 3,000€. It's considered intermediate... and in the lower price bracket for that.