Poll: Which Pickups should i get first?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which Pickups should i get first?
Seymour, Duncans Distortion and ...(post ideas)
6 24%
Dimarzio, Super Distortion/Chopper/PAF pro
6 24%
Iron Gear, hot slag and rolling mill
13 52%
Other (post choices please)
0 0%
Voters: 25.
I have recently been in want of some new pups and have decided on putting EMG81/85s in my V for a more modern BFMV sort of styles of music.

However I also have a LTD viper 50 and will soon be getting an ibanez prestige. I want my own tone in each of these but for different styles. In the Ibanez i want an 80s/maiden tone so was wondering about the Dimarzio SD/Paf Pro with a chopper or pro track in it.

In the Viper i wanted an old school/hard rock sort of tone and was thinking about a Duncans pairing like the distorsion sh6 but i couldnt find a neck pup i liked so had a look at irongear as they were cheaper and praised a lot. I liked the Hot Slag and Rolling Mill in Bridge and Neck posistions.

Which pups should i get. Duncans Or Iron gears?which Dimarzio Sets?

Thanks,
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
Quote by Bigsteve92
Iron gear - WIN

Yes but why? what is so good about the pickups?
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
Quote by riflesndaisies
Yes but why? what is so good about the pickups?

They're genuinely good pickups as opposed to 'good for the price' pickups.
From my experience with them the reviews on the website are right.
the Hot Slag for example, sounds great and has a range from nice cleans to heavy distortion and retains the clarity in every note.
Quote by Bigsteve92
the Hot Slag for example, sounds great and has a range from nice cleans to heavy distortion and retains the clarity in every note.

Thanks very much.

So thats my Vipers and Vs pups decided. What pups should i plan to get in the RG(most likely will be a 1570 or 2550) They must be dimarzios as i really want a dave murray - from iron maiden- tone but im confused with which middle pup i should get. I like the chopper, pro track and other ___ track dimarzios. Which one is best for 80s metal/british heavey metal?

EDIT: thanks Mintsauce. I think i shall get the Hot Slag and Rollin Mill unless anyone has any objections on models?
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
Last edited by riflesndaisies at Nov 19, 2009,
Quote by Bigsteve92

^ This.

They're great pickups in their own right, and also a fantastic price. At the end of the day, if I felt that SD or Dimarzio pickups were better, I'd spend the same money to get those second hand.
Quote by riflesndaisies
Thanks very much.

So thats my Vipers and Vs pups decided. What pups should i plan to get in the RG(most likely will be a 1570 or 2550) They must be dimarzios as i really want a dave murray - from iron maiden- tone but im confused with which middle pup i should get. I like the chopper, pro track and other ___ track dimarzios. Which one is best for 80s metal/british heavey metal?

EDIT: thanks Mintsauce. I think i shall get the Hot Slag and Rollin Mill unless anyone has any objections on models?

anyone got any ideas?
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
Quote by riflesndaisies
anyone got any ideas?

I thought the prestige series had dimarzio's ( or however you spell it) in them?
If not for the price difference you might wanna look at a JEM (not all of them have the monkey grip and lyon claw)

Also, on ebay you can get the steve vai signature dimarzio's off ebay for around £100 GBP- they might be what you're looking for?
Quote by Bigsteve92
I thought the prestige series had dimarzio's ( or however you spell it) in them?
If not for the price difference you might wanna look at a JEM (not all of them have the monkey grip and lyon claw)

Also, on ebay you can get the steve vai signature dimarzio's off ebay for around £100 GBP- they might be what you're looking for?

Nah prestige's only have Dimarzio/IBZ pups which are kinda like EMG/Duncan designed but a bit better. If i got a jem it would be for the lyon claw and monkey grip but i would rather have an RG just for the non-signature price.
I dont know what sort of pups im looking for i want a very maiden tone so something with lots of mids but can pull off harmonics easy enough.
Because of this i wanted the Super Dist/Paf DP103 but was unsure if this was any good. Also what pup should i have to blend the pups nicely in positions 2 and 4 on the pup selector
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
I voted IronGear as that is the combination I'm most likely to get in my Ellis Les Paul. I want it all. I want all the traditional PAF tones and I want more modern crunch on tap. Everyone I know who has used Irongear has said they are brilliant pickups at any price.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by riflesndaisies
Nah prestige's only have Dimarzio/IBZ pups which are kinda like EMG/Duncan designed but a bit better. If i got a jem it would be for the lyon claw and monkey grip but i would rather have an RG just for the non-signature price.
I dont know what sort of pups im looking for i want a very maiden tone so something with lots of mids but can pull off harmonics easy enough.
Because of this i wanted the Super Dist/Paf DP103 but was unsure if this was any good. Also what pup should i have to blend the pups nicely in positions 2 and 4 on the pup selector

JEM555 is cheaper than an RG prestige?
Quote by Bigsteve92
JEM555 is cheaper than an RG prestige?

depends which i go for. If i get a used 570 or a 1570 it will cost less to get them but if i got a 1550m or 2550... etc it would cost lest to get the JEM 555 but it has the Edge iii and i dont like the evos in it. I think breeds and most PAF pickups are petter but thats just me.

If i was desperate for a JEM i'd buy a body and get my own hardware like edge pro, dimarzios, super wizard neck. etc...
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
Quote by riflesndaisies
depends which i go for. If i get a used 570 or a 1570 it will cost less to get them but if i got a 1550m or 2550... etc it would cost lest to get the JEM 555 but it has the Edge iii and i dont like the evos in it. I think breeds and most PAF pickups are petter but thats just me.

If i was desperate for a JEM i'd buy a body and get my own hardware like edge pro, dimarzios, super wizard neck. etc...

Ah right it's an edgeIII and evo's on the 555, nevermind then :P