I'm happy with my medium gain crunchy sounds. I just need something to add gain for a solo. What is something good for the said price? I've been looking at the Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive or Bad Monkey. The true bypass on the Trans OD is appealing though...
The Cool Cat Trans. OD is a perfect choice. I love mine. Great pedal.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
true bypass is by far over-rated. unless you have a pedal-board of 20+ pedals you won't notice a difference.

out of those i would say bad monkey.
Quote by JayLacelle
true bypass is by far over-rated. unless you have a pedal-board of 20+ pedals you won't notice a difference.

out of those i would say bad monkey.

I definitely dig my buddies Bad Monkey. It even sounds great recorded as well as live.

Lank
My Gear:
Guitars: Vintage LP, Martin DX-1, Epi Viola Bass,
Amps: Marshall JMD501
Effects: Empty Set right now
For what you're talking about I'd say the Bad Monkey. The TO is good for adding a little crunch to a clean or adding some grind to a crunch tone, but the BM is just a boost, with a mids hump. That will be perfect for helping a solo stand out.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
It's also not necessarily for a solo boost. I'm just looking for a general gain boost. I'm happy when I play with less gain on my amp, but sometimes it needs more crunch for a chorus or a bridge. Obviously, I also need more gain for certain solos.
The Cool Cat is called Transparent for a reason. It won't alter you tone as much as the BM or some other OD pedals. If you want to retain your amps tone, but just add some input volume for more sustain and crunch then the Cool Cat is your best bet.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
I really love the Micro Amp by MXR. I bet you can find one for 50$ used. It adds 20db of clean boost fully turned up and it's used by a ton of guys out there. Particularly the two I love Frusciante and Jack White. You can put it right before the amp and get a solo boost or have it be the first pedal in the chain and get some boost / clarity with your chords. Awesome pedal.

Lank
My Gear:
Guitars: Vintage LP, Martin DX-1, Epi Viola Bass,
Amps: Marshall JMD501
Effects: Empty Set right now
Bad Mehnkey.

Look into the EHX LPB-1. I had one for a while, sounded awesome. It started adding it's own drive around 11 o' clock or so on the knob.

The Cool Cat Timmy clone is nice too, but I personally wouldn't get one because Paul C's awesome and stuff.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Or build yourself an EHX-LPB for about 5 bucks in parts. http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/DRAGONFLY-LAYOUTS_0/album14/album143/EH_LPB1_001.gif.html lol. Mine is breadboarded right now. I making a twin tube 12AU7 preamp boost and I'm throwing the EHX in front of it to drive the tubes a bit harder for a nice warm OD sound.
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
Quote by GeToChKn
Or build yourself an EHX-LPB for about 5 bucks in parts. http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/DRAGONFLY-LAYOUTS_0/album14/album143/EH_LPB1_001.gif.html lol. Mine is breadboarded right now. I making a twin tube 12AU7 preamp boost and I'm throwing the EHX in front of it to drive the tubes a bit harder for a nice warm OD sound.

Or that.

I got mine for like 15 quid anyway so yeah.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
id say probably bad monkey, or used sd-1 maybe?
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!