Im being honest in the price range Laney are really good :P i have the RB1 and a couple of times thought bout moving up to the 8 or if i had the cash the RB 9 with the 4x12

But from all the experience i have had with Laneys (Hardcore MxD which i personally had a lot of experience on as my cousin has one, i have an RB) both are built like tanks and do their job rather well and they are pretty loud :P and never seen any of the 2 break and ones coming up for roughly 4 years old and mines has been dropped down a few stairs and they still soldier on.

Altho Ashdown make good gear aswell i have used it and i do like them aswell just as much as laney's in a lot of senses even tho i have personally not moved one its just been there on stage i have helped take it on stage (Mag 4x12) and its heavy and well built.Altho there are some stories around here of unreliable Ashdown's but personally of the ones i have seen theres never been a problem cept from maybe a drunk friend forgetting it wasnt plugged in at the mains and shouting at it.

But in conclusion i will say this at the prices the Ashdown for sheer power is going to work out the better buy and will just be as good.As i love both its pretty hard for me to decide tbh.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
Biased recommendation here, as an RB3 owner - get the RB3.

Hah, not so biased I guess, since I obviously bought it for a reason.

Anyways, it sounds good, its plenty loud enough (especially for a 65W amp), it's extremely well built, and, as opposed to the ashdown, the controls are on the front, which is waaaay better in my opinion. As an aside, I also bought mine from the exact game place, GAK, and couldn't possibly have been happier with the service and delivery, even though it was just before christmas and they must have been rushed off their feet.

Got mine for christmas last year, as you may have guessed, and have thoroughly tested it since then (including gigging with the help of a PA), and its a fantastic amp for the money.
Quote by bodyheatseeker
That is simultaneously brilliant and obscene. I honestly don't know if I despise, or admire you.

Quote by Scutchington
If I had room, I would sig that entire post.

basschat.co.uk
Get the Ashdown. Its ghetto. Iv been playing through a five fifteen for a year now.. I think the fact that the controls are at the top helps, because both amps arent tall, so you can always see what settings you have up on the Ashdown whether you are sitting down or standing up when you play. I know that both the laney and the ashdown have cd inputs and headphone, and speaker connections for that matter, but personally I would be inclined to go for the Ashdown, as both are cheapish combo's, and the Ashdown gives you 35W extra in headroom, and, well, it looks so old school
Generalisations =/= Prejedice
Most of our forums Ashdown love starts at the MAG series. There practice amps are good, but there are better one out there.
You should have a visit to the reviews section of UG. the ashdown is reviewed but not that model of Laney. There are models by other manufacturerrs you could browse through though.

In the end choose on the sound you like best. Try them with your bass. They are both good manufacturers so choose on the sound
Quote by the666thmessiah
Get the Ashdown. Its ghetto. Iv been playing through a five fifteen for a year now.. I think the fact that the controls are at the top helps, because both amps arent tall, so you can always see what settings you have up on the Ashdown whether you are sitting down or standing up when you play. I know that both the laney and the ashdown have cd inputs and headphone, and speaker connections for that matter, but personally I would be inclined to go for the Ashdown, as both are cheapish combo's, and the Ashdown gives you 35W extra in headroom, and, well, it looks so old school

in a way the Laney can make up that 35w in pure ballsyness sometimes being honest the amount of times i havent heard a thing with their 15w cranked to bout 12 o'clock and i aint heard the door and my rooms literally above the front door LMAO.

But the Laney will offer what could be said as a slightly more aggressive tone.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.