So I've been pondering something...

The other day some guy on here said that when he rested his picking hand on his trem it was going sharp, and he wanted to know how to fix it. So I told him to add another spring, as this would make the bridge stiffer, meaning more pressure could be placed on the bridge and it would move less...

But this got me thinking...

Does it really do anything...?

If you add another spring then you will have to adjust the tension so the bridge goes back to parallel, which means your getting the tension of the springs to equal the tension of the strings. Which means the only thing that's changed is that you distributed the weight a little more... Does distributing the weight make it stiffer, even though it's still the same amount of tension.

Here's the meat of it... Say the tension of the strings is equal to twelve pounds. This means that to make the bridge parallel, you need the tension of the springs to be equal to twelve pounds. If there are three springs in the back, then that means that each spring is holding four pounds of pressure. So if you add another spring, and then adjsut it back to twelve pounds, then each spring will now be holding three pounds of pressure.

Would it feel stiffer?

Is pulling/pushing three, four pound weights easier then pulling/pushing four, three pound weights...?

This is a serious question by the way...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Well you've got more springs to pull, so it's gonna be a bit stiffer. I dunno though
Cam Sampbell's my hero
it will be stiffer pulling the bridge forward, but pushing it back in it should be easier because the extra spring is taking some of the string tension, meaning less pressure will have to be applied by the hand to move it back
Gear

Guitar:
Squier Strat

Amp:
Fender Roc Pro 1000 Half Stack

Pedals:
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Digitech Cool Cat Chorus
Quote by wicket_nirvana
it will be stiffer pulling the bridge forward.

But you're pulling the same amount of tension!!

What's going on!?!?!
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Your text is really hard to read dude, change the color.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Wear a guitar with a small 1" strap. Wear the same guitar with a 2" strap.
Same weight, but different weight distribution.
When you put in other springs, and then balance out the tension so the bridge is flat, there are more springs providing the same tension, as you said. The key part however, is that there are more springs. You're pulling the same amount of tension, but yo have to pull another spring back.
So lets say the springs have an extension length of one inch. With three springs (4lbs each), you're pulling 3 inches worth of spring, if that makes sense. Add in another spring, and now you suddenly have 4 inches worth of spring to pull. So even though the tension is the same, you're using more force in order to pull the springs to the same distance.

Hoped that makes sense, I kind of summarized. I could go into more detail if you want.
Good thread though, it got me thinking.
Quote by Baby Joel
*answer*

Aha.

Thanks dude, this makes sense...

Stupid question had been bugging me...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
won't fix that guy's problem and how many springs you have is irrelevant. What that guy needs is a thing that they had in the 80s, i forget what its called, buts its just a piece of metal that blocks you from pushing down on the floyd.
2009 Engl Powerball 100watt
1985 Marshall 1960a 4x12 with G12-65s
1989 Ibanez 540S LTD DY
2006 Epiphone G-400
Quote by acdc51502112
won't fix that guy's problem and how many springs you have is irrelevant. What that guy needs is a thing that they had in the 80s, i forget what its called, buts its just a piece of metal that blocks you from pushing down on the floyd.

But then you can't use the trem...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
You're right, it makes no difference on a floating bridge.

Adding springs only helps if you have a bridge that sits flat on the wood of the guitar.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by biga29
But then you can't use the trem...

you are still able to, that's the genius of it.
2009 Engl Powerball 100watt
1985 Marshall 1960a 4x12 with G12-65s
1989 Ibanez 540S LTD DY
2006 Epiphone G-400