Hello UG Community, this is one of my first posts in this forum so bear with me if I have the wrong thread.

So, I have a question regarding identifying the right pedal from a certain song, as I have grown very fond of the pedal. The song is "death of a martian" by the Red Hot Chili Peppers, the last song on Stadium Arcadium. He will do the verse riff one time through on clean, then the succeeding one with some type of pedal. He does this on the outro too, and it is just such a nice sounding pedal!

There is one tab on this site that claims that it is a "leslie simulator." So I tried finding this "leslie simulator" on musiciansfriend.com and zzounds.com and had no luck, so then I googled it and came up with no leads either.

So I turn to the community...
A leslie was an old organ amp that had a rotating speaker that made a chorus type of effect. Some of the higher end chorus pedals have leslie simulators built in, and there are some stand alone leslie simulators as well. Hold on I'll edit in a couple...
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
A leslie was an old organ amp that had a rotating speaker that made a chorus type of effect. Some of the higher end chorus pedals have leslie simulators built in, and there are some stand alone leslie simulators as well. Hold on I'll edit in a couple...

Thanks man!

Can you confirm this is indeed the effect he uses?
http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/red-hot-chili/Sep-06/23160

“Death of a Martian” We were rehearsing at the studio for about a week before we actually started recording, but they were just letting tape roll, and we wound up using a few of those takes, including this one, and they have a more relaxed feeling to them than the other songs. The main guitar part was played through a Leslie, and the “Martian” sounds were made with a filter that was modulated super-fast. There are three lead guitars on the outro, but they are mixed very quietly. On early Funkadelic albums, George Clinton would mess around with the volume of things, and not just have the parts fit into a perfectly balanced unity the way most producers do. On one track there would be really loud lead guitars, and on another super-loud bass, or quiet lead vocals, etc. The band and our producer were not into that as a general direction for the album, but this is one of the few spots where I'm doing that sort of thing.

Hope that helps. I use a Fulltone MDV-2 set to max and it emulates it pretty well.
Quote by hunterman
http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/red-hot-chili/Sep-06/23160

“Death of a Martian” We were rehearsing at the studio for about a week before we actually started recording, but they were just letting tape roll, and we wound up using a few of those takes, including this one, and they have a more relaxed feeling to them than the other songs. The main guitar part was played through a Leslie, and the “Martian” sounds were made with a filter that was modulated super-fast. There are three lead guitars on the outro, but they are mixed very quietly. On early Funkadelic albums, George Clinton would mess around with the volume of things, and not just have the parts fit into a perfectly balanced unity the way most producers do. On one track there would be really loud lead guitars, and on another super-loud bass, or quiet lead vocals, etc. The band and our producer were not into that as a general direction for the album, but this is one of the few spots where I'm doing that sort of thing.

Hope that helps. I use a Fulltone MDV-2 set to max and it emulates it pretty well.

I could not thank you enough.

So your MDV-2 seems to do the trick? I'll look into that option because I don't have enough money to blow on a leslie, especially since he's probably using the older and (in my opinion) better sounding ones.

EDIT: So what are your settings for it? You mentioned setting it to max, which I assume your talking about the intensity? So then are you using the chorus or vibrato? vintage or modern?
Last edited by Funk Monk at Nov 19, 2009,
Quote by Funk Monk
I could not thank you enough.

So your MDV-2 seems to do the trick? I'll look into that option because I don't have enough money to blow on a leslie, especially since he's probably using the older and (in my opinion) better sounding ones.

I think the point of vibe pedals is to simulate Leslie speakers. I personally like the MDV2 the best because of the treadle and the and the various and numerous settings. I played the Lovepedal vibe and it was good, but the MDV2 was better (imo). I've heard there's a few other good vibes out there, but I've never played them.

And if it's Froosh, you know it's old.

Quote by Funk Monk

EDIT: So what are your settings for it? You mentioned setting it to max, which I assume your talking about the intensity? So then are you using the chorus or vibrato? vintage or modern?

I set the internal trip pot to max to get a more WOOSHY sound, set the volume and intensity to max. I use vintage for most settings, but for Death of a Martian, I put it to modern. Tremolo and Chorus both work well; Tremolo is well, more trem-ish, and is more "ethereal" feeling when at max (so I use this one mainly), but chorus in it's own right sounds good, too.

I prefer the heavy modulation on that track, but you may think it's too much.

If I have time today, I'll rapidshare an MP3 a few different settings of the main riff and send you the link so you can get an idea.
Last edited by hunterman at Nov 19, 2009,
Quote by hunterman
I sent you a PM with the link and all that good stuff.

Thanks man, I really appreciate all the help.