Hmm I have a block I've wrote about 10 songs in the last 2 months and everything I play sounds the same an dull. I just don't really know what to do anymore so I sat down with a metronome and started working on my sweeps. And realized I can't play with a metronome which is incoNvinient bad. I've been writing songs on drum tracks that I recorded buy I sold my set so now all I have is a metronome. I could just get a drum machine buy I would rather just use a metronome. It puzzles me I can get Time with a Ali drum beat but not just a click. Any suggestions on this? I tried to think of it ad a high hat beat but I just suck and I'm a decent guitar player. Plus I need to break a wall and get better but I feel like I'm stuck an can't move anywhere new. I guess I should just find a pretty difficult song an work on it till I learn somethin new off the song. I'm more into metal but I play other things. Give me a good metal fairly difficult song and any suggestions guys. I'll love ya
I can't stress how important a metronome is when practicing. If you can't play with one then learn how. Don't just give up.

Edit: If you can keep time with drums, then you can keep time with a metronome. Your probably just not used to it. As I said before, don't give up.
Last edited by Matt420740 at Nov 19, 2009,
Wasn't giving up. I just don't really feel the rhythym with a metronome so it's hard. And learning Im trying to figure out how to learn cause it's all in my head. I was wanting suggestions I know it important
^ practice. That's how you get good it. No tricks, no shortcuts. Just good ol fashion practice.
shred is gaudy music
I found metronomes to be a strange and unruly beast for quite a while even after comfortably jamming bass with a rampant jazz drummer for a few years! What I found worked for me was starting off with the metronome only accenting the first beat of a bar and then beats one and three before getting around to all four beats of a common time tune! Best workouts now come from finding odd time signatures and playing to them regarless of how unnantural it might feel! Great feelig when you realise that you are incorporating these results into your picking, plucking and a riffing! Your heads tuff enough keep banging it against the wall and you'll get a break through!
Quote by GuitarMunky
^ practice. That's how you get good it. No tricks, no shortcuts. Just good ol fashion practice.

I was practicing 12 hours a day. I defiantly know about practice. I mean I take a week break break every mow and then. I'm fine with certain rhythyms when playing with metronome I may be doing fine. The songs I'm sucking with are riffs I wrote with a drum beat. I cam keep rhythym without a metronome because I cam keep a beat in my head. But I want perfection. I'll have a band soon and i want to be perfect with time cause i don't wanna slip up at all.
Quote by DeDInSinSation
I was practicing 12 hours a day. I defiantly know about practice. I mean I take a week break break every mow and then. I'm fine with certain rhythyms when playing with metronome I may be doing fine. The songs I'm sucking with are riffs I wrote with a drum beat. I cam keep rhythym without a metronome because I cam keep a beat in my head. But I want perfection. I'll have a band soon and i want to be perfect with time cause i don't wanna slip up at all.

I don't know what to tell you. If you have a hard time playing to metronome, you simply haven't done it often enough and/or you lack a fundamental understanding of rhythms.

suggestion...

get a method book. work your way through it. practice all exercises to a metronome. here you'll encounter most or all of what you need in terms of music & rhythm fundamentals. If you're willing to put in the effort, it would probably help you a great deal.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Nov 19, 2009,
I may just not have it loud enough ahaha I was keeping I fine a minute ago when I turned up pretty loud. Guess I solved my own problem it wasn't loud enough so I was listening to my music and not the beat. Ha anyways any song suggestions
The best advice I can give is that if your music sounds dull, try listening to different genres. From drum and bass to trip-hop to folk to anything you fancy. Don't expect it to give you the chills you get from your favorite bands, give it time to grow into you and you'll see it will show into your playing.
My gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Fender DG-11E Black (Acoustic)
-Marshall AVT50
-Cry Baby "Wylde Wah"
-Roland RE-20 Space Echo