As the title says what is the best costumizable guitar?

I'm thinking of doing this but I don't know what guitar I have to look for. I think I want a strat so any sugestions?
Get a squier one if you do. It's cheaper and not as bad to mess up. Try not to get an affinity one though, they are utterly shit.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

i cast my vote for squier.

affinities are made of actual solid wood and heve very nice necks for a 200 dollar guitar. all you gotta do is be patient in setting it up.

also theres a new line of bullets that are solid basswood and have neck reputed to feel just like the clapton sigs.
Quote by druggietoad2k5
Try not to get an affinity one though, they are utterly shit.

Total BS. Last two affinities I've taken apart were 3-5 piece solid alder bodies.
The newer bullets are terrific guitars to customize. I prefer the affinities because they have a slightly thicker body (a Bullet is just a little too thin to put a full-sized Fender 5-way in). Beware that there have been some problems with Bullets having stripped truss rod nuts.
Quote by Invader Jim
i cast my vote for squier.

affinities are made of actual solid wood and heve very nice necks for a 200 dollar guitar. all you gotta do is be patient in setting it up.

also theres a new line of bullets that are solid basswood and have neck reputed to feel just like the clapton sigs.

I think I go for affinities then because I like maple fretboards... Do you know If they are pool routed so I can throw a humbucker in the bridge position?
what would be nice mods to do? I thought of a new paintjob: green or something in that direction, seymour duncan invader in the bridge new tuners or something?
Quote by niels-uiterwaal
I think I go for affinities then because I like maple fretboards... Do you know If they are pool routed so I can throw a humbucker in the bridge position?

It is going to vary some. Not all affinities will have a maple fretboard. Normally they are either routed for HSS or SSS. Check around for some used ones. You will have a tougher time finding a maple board, but often you can get a great deal on used Squiers.
you'll prolly want new tuners and a new bridge. my tuners have trouble holding a tune with aggressive bending, which I am famous for.

i have a crazy wiring scheme for my affinity. i can post a diagram if you want
Quote by Invader Jim
you'll prolly want new tuners and a new bridge. my tuners have trouble holding a tune with aggressive bending, which I am famous for.

i have a crazy wiring scheme for my affinity. i can post a diagram if you want

If you would like to do that.

Is it hard to replace a bridge without ****ing up the body and what kind of bridge would you recomend?
Last edited by niels-uiterwaal at Nov 19, 2009,
Quote by Invader Jim
nah, just drop it in. the most trouble you could have is screw alignment.

what would be a good quality bridge for not too much money? I heard you have to stay away from GFS hardware is that true?
gfs pups are fine, but the hardware is sometimes good and sometimes not. idk of any bridges. I've used were a floyd and a wraparound and I hate them both. i also used a tom/stopbar and it was ok, but i prefer the standard strat style bridges.

tom/stopbar wouldn't go over well with a strat.
Quote by Invader Jim
with good tuners, yeah

Could you post the ''crazu wiring scheme'' you were talking about?

Thanks
Quote by cedricsmods
Total BS. Last two affinities I've taken apart were 3-5 piece solid alder bodies.
The newer bullets are terrific guitars to customize. I prefer the affinities because they have a slightly thicker body (a Bullet is just a little too thin to put a full-sized Fender 5-way in). Beware that there have been some problems with Bullets having stripped truss rod nuts.

I didn't mean affinity, I mean the bullets, but the older ones, my bad. My brother had one when he played guitar (he now plays bass, and a very nice one at that) and it was utter crap. I mean, really crap.

But yeah, new tuners, pups, bridge, nut, paint job, wiring, whatever you want.

It's a pretty cheap guitar, but not so cheap it will fall apart but not so expensive that you won't want to mod it.
Posted from Ubuntu.

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Quote by druggietoad2k5
I didn't mean affinity, I mean the bullets, but the older ones, my bad. My brother had one when he played guitar (he now plays bass, and a very nice one at that) and it was utter crap. I mean, really crap.

But yeah, new tuners, pups, bridge, nut, paint job, wiring, whatever you want.

It's a pretty cheap guitar, but not so cheap it will fall apart but not so expensive that you won't want to mod it.

I have to once again disagree

idk how old you mean by 'older', but I've got a bullet from (I think) '01.. Ill have to check when I get home.. and I actually really enjoy it

I will agree that the older bullets seem extremely inconsistant, from one guitar to another, though. I've played others at second hand stores and stuff, and I've only seen a few that are similar to mine in playability..
Quote by james4
I will agree that the older bullets seem extremely inconsistent, from one guitar to another, though. I've played others at second hand stores and stuff, and I've only seen a few that are similar to mine in playability..

You have nailed it. Squiers are very inconsistent in quality. Some are terrible, but I've played three or four that were better and any American Fender I've ever played.

The only hardware I have used from Guitarfetish was a hardtail strat bridge. I have been happy with it. But there is nowhere near as much to screw up on that as on a tremolo.
Quote by james4
I have to once again disagree

idk how old you mean by 'older', but I've got a bullet from (I think) '01.. Ill have to check when I get home.. and I actually really enjoy it

I will agree that the older bullets seem extremely inconsistant, from one guitar to another, though. I've played others at second hand stores and stuff, and I've only seen a few that are similar to mine in playability..

I don't know when my brothers one is from, but it's crap. I was playing it upside down (lefty here) and i could tell it was crap. It didn't even sound "ok", it was just bad even after a set up.

Saying that, I've got a Squier P-Bass Special, and it's a pretty good bass for the £200/$350 I paid for it. I'm saving up £1300 for a music man Sterling though
Posted from Ubuntu.

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Quote by niels-uiterwaal
how are the stock middle and neck p'ups on the squier affinity?

I am asking for making a cost list

if you're worried about spending too much on pickups, check out the overwound single coil set in the clearance section.
$15 for the set, and they're a really big upgrade from stock.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/ovstserewowh.html
Quote by niels-uiterwaal
how are the stock middle and neck p'ups on the squier affinity?

I am asking for making a cost list

They work. Lol. They are not that good usually, but if you are going to save money somewhere, save on the pickups for now. They are easy to upgrade later and you should first focus on getting everything else in good playing shape. Once you have a good straight neck with proper fret dress, a good nut, tuners and bridge that will hold tune, action and intonation set up . . . then tweak the electronics. Because if your guitar doesn't feel good and stay in tune, you won't play it, even if the pickups sound good.