I've been writing a lot of songs lately and i want to record them with decent quality. Catch is...

...I'm broke

I've used mixers and interfaces before and haven't really liked them. So I'm thinking of just buying a simple USB condenser mic (the Samson C01U) and doing all editing through software (i hear reaper is good). I will be recording mainly vocals/acoustic guitar, and the odd electric by micing my amp.

So am I forgetting something important or should this give me some good quality demos?
try audacity its a free program (since ur broke) and its easy to use. i can provide a link if ur interested
EDIT: it will take a miked amp pretty well (jus dont use a rockband mic like me)
double EDIT:software can be downloaded here
Gear
2009 Schecter Solo 6 DSG limited 1 of 50 in the USA
Ovation Celebrity
TC Electronic: Polytune
Digitech RP355 Multieffects Pedal
Quote by HeyItsChenny
thank you very much, Seaweed
Last edited by Seaweed2626 at Nov 19, 2009,
As a software choice, I'd like to suggest http://ubuntustudio.org/

It's a free, Ubuntu based DAW. It has all (most ) software you'll need stacked on top of a real time kernel (for low latency).

Ardour (http://ardour.org/), of course, comes with it.

Cheers!
Last edited by strangedata at Nov 19, 2009,
Quote by Seaweed2626
try audacity its a free program (since ur broke) and its easy to use. i can provide a link if ur interested
EDIT: it will take a miked amp pretty well (jus dont use a rockband mic like me)
double EDIT:software can be downloaded here

i've used audacity plenty of times before and i would say it's mediocre at best. I'm looking for something a bit better than that since i have some experience recording and would rather use something thats harder to learn but has more freedom. I don't like the way the EQ works in audacity mainly.
Quote by JayLacelle
i've used audacity plenty of times before and i would say it's mediocre at best. I'm looking for something a bit better than that since i have some experience recording and would rather use something thats harder to learn but has more freedom. I don't like the way the EQ works in audacity mainly.

Try Ardour (http://ardour.org). It's harder to learn, but is pretty good and very similar to other tools available commercially.

Cheers!
Whats with all the linux recommendations, I'm pretty sure this guy wants to actually be able to record something Linux audio support is terrible.

Not really a fan of USB microphones at all - built in preamps and A/D conversion is never amazing, but if you can tell us what you're wanting to record (genre, acoustic or electric, if electric - your amp type) and give us a list of gear that you've found difficult then we can perhaps help a bit more.

My sequencer of choice has always been Reaper, but Cubase, Protools, Nuendo, Sonar and Logic all work just as well.
Last edited by Beefmo at Nov 19, 2009,
Whats with all the linux recommendations, I'm pretty sure this guy wants to actually be able to record something Linux audio support is terrible.

Well, he did say he's broke, and all these software are free. So one point for Linux there.

Also, after you get all the ALSA, JACK and whatnot going, the support gets pretty good. There are even a few supported mixers in the not-so-expensive range.

:-)
Quote by Beefmo

Not really a fan of USB microphones at all - built in preamps and A/D conversion is never amazing, but if you can tell us what you're wanting to record (genre, acoustic or electric, if electric - your amp type) and give us a list of gear that you've found difficult then we can perhaps help a bit more.

My sequencer of choice has always been Reaper, but Cubase, Protools, Nuendo, Sonar and Logic all work just as well.

my first post listed what i want to record, and my sig lists my gear....

EDIT: and for genre its a mix of acoustic rock, pop and some blues
Last edited by JayLacelle at Nov 19, 2009,
My bad man, I posted that comment then realised afterwards that most of your gear was in the sig.

Interested in your bad experiences with interfaces actually, I'd always recommend them in conjunction with some nice microphones over usb mics because they have more dedicated converters and of course you can use multiple mics with them without paying premium for having a built in pre, a/d and usb connection.

For $99 you could do worse than the Samson I suppose, but don't expect it to set the heather on fire.
Quote by Beefmo
My bad man, I posted that comment then realised afterwards that most of your gear was in the sig.

Interested in your bad experiences with interfaces actually, I'd always recommend them in conjunction with some nice microphones over usb mics because they have more dedicated converters and of course you can use multiple mics with them without paying premium for having a built in pre, a/d and usb connection.

For $99 you could do worse than the Samson I suppose, but don't expect it to set the heather on fire.

i used to have an 'asus' (i think that was the brand) interface but it had a good half-second lag that really annoyed me. after i would record each track i would need to align it with the other to compensate.

and about the multiple mics...i will ONLY ever be recording 1 track and a time anyway so multiple inputs would be useless. 90% of the recording im planning to do is just myself, with the odd acoustic jam with my band (even then i could just record one guitar at a time).

right now the most important thing is money, so the USB mic seems to be the most budget friendly. if you know of a good interface and mic for less then 100 bucks then by all means share but seriously if im missing out on a better alternative just let me know
I have that Samson USB Mic, I love it. Theres some recordings on my profile - I used that mic for them, except Imagination.

I'm not too great at making recordings sound good, but I think mine are pretty good sounding!
Quote by Saamon
I have that Samson USB Mic, I love it. Theres some recordings on my profile - I used that mic for them, except Imagination.

I'm not too great at making recordings sound good, but I think mine are pretty good sounding!

sounds pretty good. thanks that helped a lot