I recently gained an interest in them after having a dream where I rode one....

Anyway, what do you think of them?
I told my dad about planning to learn to ride sometime (a couple of years or so) and he said that a small car would be way better, more fuel efficient, etc. that most riders love it until "the crunch" and that they aren't practical. My mum suggested motocross, which I can imagine could be better in some ways, but I'd need to find somewhere to do it properly and then get there, and we don't have a trailer or a van so I'd still need to insure it and everything and ride on roads, possibly for long distances (we live in the southwest of the UK where there are supposed to be quite a few good places but I haven't really noticed anywhere good that's close myself)

What do you think?
How safe are they these days?
Do you ride one?

P.S. My dad has actually had a couple himself, one quite recently which he actually rode to work everyday for about a year or two.
Hi! I'm Andrew, and when I have a bubble in my throat I sound like Alan Rickman!

I have the BEST Jizz Face on UG!

My YouTube Channel (slowmotion stuff!): www.youtube.com/wannabeguitarlegend
A bike will, from what i know, always be more fuel efficient than a car. So long as you don't drive it like a maniac.

However, they start to suck balls when you want to carry people/gear/shopping home. When its wet, and when you crash.

On the other hand, parking will always be easy
Yep I own one.

No way is a car more fuel efficient. But your dad is right about the practicality.

I would not buy one until you are past 25. Riding a bike is MUCH riskier, any single mistake can be weeks in hospital, not a scratch on the side of the car. You need to be able to read traffic and predict what other vehicles are going to do and you have to be able to concentrate and maintain focus. You also need to be able to control your emotions. Had a fight with the gf? Getting in the car and going for a boot is one thing. Venting while on a bike is just a death wish.

Anyone can ride one. Staying alive on one takes a lot of skill, maturity and control.

Dirt riding is a safer bet. Having said that I have never hurt myself on the street but did bugger my shoulder on the dirt - surgery coming up at some stage.
Cars aren't more fuel efficient unless they're reaaally small and the bike is huge. Generally motorbikes are more fuel efficient.

That being said I'm aiming to get one.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Really nice to have I reckon, I do really want a bike for myself one day (when I can afford it) but a car will always be useful for anything that isn't really possible with a bike
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
Real men ride penny farthings.

^ Epic

Yeah I thought motorbikes would be more fuel efficient, I heard the bike I was looking at could get about 70 mile per gallon while a good car could get about 50 these days.
Hi! I'm Andrew, and when I have a bubble in my throat I sound like Alan Rickman!

Quote by archerygenious
^ Epic

Yeah I thought motorbikes would be more fuel efficient, I heard the bike I was looking at could get about 70 mile per gallon while a good car could get about 50 these days.

Well when you think about it, bikes are lighter, have tiny engines compared to cars. Like average for a bike afaik is what like 125-250cc

whereas the smallest car i have come across is a 900cc, and average these days is around a 1.2ltr (1200cc).

So even if the car engine is more advanced, the bike will still have the upper hand. Especially if the car is carrying a lot of people or weight in general.
^didnt click the links, but i assume its people going fast on the motorway?

A couple of buddies of mine, therre bikes are so damn fast, that even if they were seen speeding, so long a the police didnt get a plate there is no way they are gonna be caught.

One of them, got the limiter taken off, and he took it out for a burn to test it. He hit 200kmh, and had to slow down becasue there was cars in the way, he reckons he could have hit 240 if he had enough space. Those kinds of speeds on something as flimsy as a bike scare the crap out of me.

As it happened he fell of his bike recently. He was fine, the bike wasn't though. Complete write off.
I was thinking if I got a road bike it would only be a 250cc (a kawasaki Ninja 250) which I hear is the best beginners bike, so it isn't like I'd be going straight to a 900cc bike like my dads. And Jimmy, speeds that fast just on a motorbike scare the crap outta me too, even in a car!

That will last you an entire year till you get fed up of it not accelerating fast enough.
Quote by jimmy_neutron

A couple of buddies of mine, therre bikes are so damn fast, that even if they were seen speeding, so long a the police didnt get a plate there is no way they are gonna be caught.

One of them, got the limiter taken off, and he took it out for a burn to test it. He hit 200kmh, and had to slow down becasue there was cars in the way, he reckons he could have hit 240 if he had enough space. Those kinds of speeds on something as flimsy as a bike scare the crap out of me.

As it happened he fell of his bike recently. He was fine, the bike wasn't though. Complete write off.

240km/h? Its not a fast bike then.
There probably are other faster bikes, but 200kmph or 240 kmph is still quite fast for a road vehicle. Especially when the fastest limit in the country is 120kmph
Ewww kawasaki ninjas...

Get a yamaha virago, atleast they look nice.
I'd rather ride a gocart then a kawasaki ninja >.>
i used to race motorcross on a suzuki rm250 and it was the most fun i have ever had! nothing beats flying thru the air or hammering it round the dirt track!

the adrenalin rush is amazing, i took a pretty bad fall and hurt my arm, the adrenalin was still pumping so i carried on round the track to get to the pit lane by the time i got back to my van the adrenalin was wearing off and i was starting to feel a really bad pain in my arm, turns out i had fractured my elbow and smashed up my shoulder!

as for road bikes, you have to be VERY careful, you can ride as safe as you can but all it takes is some idiot in a car to clip you.
RIP Turnip. RIP MCA.
RIP #58.
Quote by JackalUK
That will last you an entire year till you get fed up of it not accelerating fast enough.

Well in the UK you're not aloud to get a bigger bike until you've been riding for 2 years

Not technically true

You will first need a CBT that will grant you a license to get a 125cc

Then you need to take a Class A theory test then a Class A - 2 module practical test

If you go accelerated access you will be taken out on a 500cc on the practical test and if you pass you have unrestricted riding (buy a 1000cc bike for all you care)

If you go regular pass you can get a bike restricted to 33bhp (roughly 400cc) for 2 years (a lot of people take them off though) before the restriction is removed.
Last edited by JackalUK at Nov 19, 2009,
Quote by JackalUK
Not technically true

You will first need a CBT that will grant you a license to get a 125cc

Then you need to take a Class A theory test then a Class A - 2 module practical test

If you go accelerated access you will be taken out on a 500cc on the practical test and if you pass you have unrestricted riding (buy a 1000cc bike for all you care)

If you go regular pass you can get a bike restricted to 33bhp (roughly 400cc) for 2 years (a lot of people take them off though)

Forgot about accelerated access, but if I did learn to ride I'd probably do it in my gap year before uni, so I'm not sure whether I'd be old enough for that.

If you get a bike for the road, make sure it's loud.

Anyway, I'm still debating if I'm going to get a car or a bike when I move out. There are so many advantages to it.
Quote by Flying Couch
If you get a bike for the road, make sure it's loud.

Myth.

Sounds from the exhaust shoots out behind the bike, not in front. So the people that you have already passed now know that you are there, but the moron in front of your in the intersection cannot hear your exhaust.

After market cans are awesome, but dont think that it is a safety feature.
To a point yes, but if your generally louder that the rest of the traffic your more likely to be heard. You gotta make yourself as visible as possible because some twat is gonna not bother looking properly and pull out on you eventually.
Quote by Howard2k
Myth.

Sounds from the exhaust shoots out behind the bike, not in front. So the people that you have already passed now know that you are there, but the moron in front of your in the intersection cannot hear your exhaust.

After market cans are awesome, but dont think that it is a safety feature.

Oh, I wouldn't suggest them as a safety feature - I don't think the designers had anything in mind other than "loud exhaust lol." Butn are you certain of that? I can hear the loud bikes around here coming from two blocks away. :\
Quote by Flying Couch
Oh, I wouldn't suggest them as a safety feature - I don't think the designers had anything in mind other than "loud exhaust lol." Butn are you certain of that? I can hear the loud bikes around here coming from two blocks away. :\

Yep, it is basic physics. The sound will reverberate, bikes are not silent from the front. But the majority of the sound goes behind the bike.

But yeah, a loud bike is still a loud bike. There is a misconception that a loud exhaust is a safety feature. It is not. It just sounds cool, well some of them do.
It's not a safety feature, but I'd much rather have a loud pipe than a quiet one.
My dad rode a motorcycle when he was younger - probably around my age (22).

I'd like to drive one. I don't exactly carry a lot of passengers or anything large in my car as it is, so I wouldn't be losing anything from it, aside from disadvantages in sudden inclement weather.
Quote by JMack
Are you asking if midgets can draw people that are themselves smaller than the average person, or if midget drawings in general are smaller?
Quote by archerygenious
How much is insurance for motorbikes in comparison to cars?

I got my first 125 aged 20 I believe and 3rd party, fire, theft cost me just over £400. I'm now 22 and it costs me less than £200.
Quote by jimmy_neutron

Nah it's Rossi and Stoner dueling.

How easy are bikes to ride (as in does it take a similar amount of time as a car for you to pass both tests)?
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
2 days training / test on a bike and you can get a 125cc if you pass. You just have to demonstrate to a tutor you are competant. If you can get experience prior to going for a CBT you will probably breeze it. It's mostly learning your balance and clutch work.
Just look out for other drivers, ice, wet/slippy roads, stong winds and manhole covers

If you can avoid all this you should be sweet

I miss my bike hope the prick that stole it crashed the thing and seriously hurt him self