hi! I have this Ibanez with a Edge pro 3 tremolo. The thing is, it's fixed to have a standard tuning, what would happen if i drop the low E to D? Will the string snapp? Will something bad happen like tension or other problems tremolo guitars have? I've heard that I should only be in standard tuning and not be tuning around to lower tunings like C, or B. Please help!
Quote by pjuckazz
hi! I have this Ibanez with a Edge pro 3 tremolo. The thing is, it's fixed to have a standard tuning, what would happen if i drop the low E to D? Will the string snapp? Will something bad happen like tension or other problems tremolo guitars have? I've heard that I should only be in standard tuning and not be tuning around to lower tunings like C, or B. Please help!

Why would it snap when you're lowering tension....

Why don't you go to the Floyd Rose setup thread because this isn't really a question.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
The only REAL fear you should have is that once you're in drop D, you will never come back, and will be destined to play Trivium and "Slither" for the rest of your days.

Seriously though, nothing's going to happen. The other strings will probably go out of tune a bit though, but that's all.
Fender Lite Ash --> TC Polytune --> Digitech Whammy V --> MXR Phase 90 --> EHX Small Clone --> Strymon Orbit --> TC Flashback X4 --> Rivera R55
Really ? So there is no problem other than tuning? Awesome then! Thx for the replies guys!
If you tune it properly, but don't adjust the spring tension, the bridge will dip back slightly. Unless you're a big trem user it shouldn't matter at all.
Obligatory gear list
Guitars
Ibanez SZ4020 w/BKP Miracle Man set
Cort X-11 w/EMG 85+81
Tanglewood TSB58 HB w/BKP Nailbomb & Cold Sweat
Epiphone SG Prophecy w/Seymour Duncan/Ibz
Basses
Indie Swamp 4
Ibanez BTB 775 PB
Amps
Engl Screamer 50
You are going to have to do some minor adjustments to the bridge, to compensate for the tesnion change.

And you can put Floyd Roses in any tuning you want. I just set mine up for Drop A.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
I rarely use the trem, so I should just drop to D and tune the others strings, and then, If I want to come back, I retune it to normal without anything happening ?
Quote by pjuckazz
I rarely use the trem, so I should just drop to D and tune the others strings, and then, If I want to come back, I retune it to normal without anything happening ?

You're going to have to adjust the strings in the back. You'll have to loosen them just a little bit, or the guitar will go out of tune.

EDIT: you should also read up in here. it's called the Floyd Rose thread, but it has sections for each type of floating tremolos. And the same principles apply for all floating trems.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Last edited by biga29 at Nov 19, 2009,
Quote by biga29
You're going to have to adjust the strings in the back. You'll have to loosen them just a little bit, or the guitar will go out of tune.

Ok u scared me, no way I'm dropping. Do you mean those thingies in the back ? I don have the slightest clue how to do that, but when should i loosen em, while dropping or tuning back?
you should watch some youtube video's on setting up floyd roses and it should be pretty close on what you need to do to your edge 3. the edge is basically just an lfr but with ibanez's modifications. theres some video on youtube with some german guy and it was pretty informative for me.

you honestly don't have much to worry about. personally, i wouldn't even adjust spring tension if you're only dropping one string. i do it all the time on my zr.

Own an Ibanez RG series guitar? Join the group.

Quote by DkassBTU
fly ass ******s wearin my hat

hahahahaha
Quote by pjuckazz
Ok u scared me, no way I'm dropping. Do you mean those thingies in the back ? I don have the slightest clue how to do that, but when should i loosen em, while dropping or tuning back?

hehe. Large Post warning.

Here comes a Floating trem crash Course.

While there are many different types of Floating trems, they are all based on the same principles. They can all be pulled back and pushed foward. The only way they can do this and stay in tune is this: The nut must remain locked, and the tension of the strings must equal the tesnion of the springs. When they are equal the bridge will sit parallel to the body, and will always come back to the same position when moved, thus, staying in tune.

Now, you want to go to Drop D, this means that you are going to take tension away from the strings. When you do this, your bridge will slightly sink into the body, because now, the tension of springs is greater then the tension of the strings.
To fix this you need to lesson the tension of the springs, by looseing the screws in the back.

It will only take a small adjustment, but it is necessary. Be sure to read up in the FR thread to, it'll help.

Let me know if this made any sense.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
I personally dont own one, but when im at gc I just loosen the screw in the bridge that locks the low e a little and it doesnt usually knock the others out of tune.

Fender Telecaster w/ GFS Lil' Killer
Jet City Pico Valve

Quote by Chaos-Serenade

The fretboard is dry because it is more than likely made in China.

I wonder how he came to this conclusion.
Lyrics
Inside the back
Walk with me
Reign, Rain

Call me Drew
Quote by biga29

hehe. Large Post warning.

Here comes a Floating trem crash Course.

While there are many different types of Floating trems, they are all based on the same principles. They can all be pulled back and pushed foward. The only way they can do this and stay in tune is this: The nut must remain locked, and the tension of the strings must equal the tesnion of the springs. When they are equal the bridge will sit parallel to the body, and will always come back to the same position when moved, thus, staying in tune.

Now, you want to go to Drop D, this means that you are going to take tension away from the strings. When you do this, your bridge will slightly sink into the body, because now, the tension of springs is greater then the tension of the strings.
To fix this you need to lesson the tension of the springs, by looseing the screws in the back.

It will only take a small adjustment, but it is necessary. Be sure to read up in the FR thread to, it'll help.

Let me know if this made any sense.

So basically, when the bridge is parallel to the body, not sinking down or going up, it's done right?

You also mean that by dropping only one string, all this could happen? So when I drop the E to D, the bridge will sink a bit(or go up?) and that I should adjust, in the back of the guitar, the springs, loosening em' to the point that when the guitar is tune in Drop D, the bridge will go parallel?

Thx for the serious help, it has made my mind clearer, cheers to other UGers aswell.

Had no idea that one string would make this much, oh well... ^^