Ok I know it must get kinda old answering the same which guitar should I buy question, so I apologize up front. I do have a twist though. I have a 2008 Gibson Hummingbird acoustic/electric. I need a backup because I do not play the guitar I beat it to get the sound I want out of it, this in turn causes me to break stings frequently. I am looking at spending around 700-800 dollars and I need acoustic/electric. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
I do sure love me them Gibsons boy
I would probably look at the Epiphone Masterbilt series....they are the only thing I can think of that will have a similar sound to your hummingbird but also fit your price range.

This is a nice model -- I've played it and like it for the price range:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Masterbilt-AJ500RE-Advanced-Jumbo-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=519054

Breedlove and Takamine are other brands that I would look at in the price range. With all of them, though, especially at this price point, you will want to head to the store and try them all out as I have noticed that there is great variation between the individual guitars in the model lines (especially with Epiphone).

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Quote by GC Shred Off
What does your Hummingbird not do that you'd like it to, specifically?

Sounds like he just wants a back-up for on stage use since he breaks strings...if there was another point to your question, feel free to ignore me...

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
I just need a backup to get me to the end of the set when i break strings. I played a couple of masterbuilts and they kinda seemed like toys. Maybe I'm settin the bar to high.
Quote by roamingbard13
Sounds like he just wants a back-up for on stage use since he breaks strings...if there was another point to your question, feel free to ignore me...

Ahh... I didn't get the impression TS was breaking strings in live performances. That would certainly make his question a bit more logical. I was just thinking in terms of general around-the-house playing.

I suggest Blueridge guitars.
Last edited by GC Shred Off at Nov 19, 2009,
how about a seagull SWS series guitar? nice stuff, good build quality, i like 'em way better than the masterbilts. in that price range, i also like the yamaha fgx730sc and the martin x series, which has several guitars in more than one body style/size and sound pretty good. and while some here don't care for them, i also like the taylor 110e and 114e.

just saw GC Shred Off's last post. i didn't realize blueridge made acoustic electrics, but i see that they do. their acoustics sound so great, they'd definitely be worth checking out.
Last edited by patticake at Nov 19, 2009,
Quote by patticake
i didn't realize blueridge made acoustic electrics, but i see that they do. their acoustics sound so great, they'd definitely be worth checking out.

I actually wasn't thinking of their A/E's either, being that a nice aftermarket pickup can be added so cheaply. I just recommended them because they're really good.
Thanks for the help I'm gonna find a Blueridge dealer round here somewhere. I tried a few seagulls and I would have to say I am impressed. I am new on the site so hopefully I can help with stuff from other people.