I have a pretty nice vintage cab sitting around in my basement, but it runs at 8Ω, while my champ runs at...basically 4Ω. So, can you guys recommend me 2, 12 inch or 10 inch speakers rated at 8Ω a piece that I can put into a cab that would complement my champ. I want them to be relatively efficient so I can pull as much volume out of this thing as possible.
OR better yet, can you tell me a way to run my champ through that cab. I've heard that as long as the impedance on the amp is lower than the cab, you're fine. But I'd rather match.

edit:

also, I'm going to build my own box. I just want the speakers and I don't really, particularly want to spend more than...200USD on these.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Nov 19, 2009,
You can probably do that safely but I ALWAYS recommend matching and it sounds like that is what you want to do.

Can you tell us this though? Are the speakers you currently have 2 - 4ohms run in series or 2 - 16ohm'rs run in parallel? You may be able to rewire the cab is why I'm asking.

If you can't do that then I recommend Weber speakers but I'm not an expert on these or building cabs so bump for ya.

(tubetime - any thoughts?)
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
You can probably do that safely but I ALWAYS recommend matching and it sounds like that is what you want to do.

Can you tell us this though? Are the speakers you currently have 2 - 4ohms run in series or 2 - 16ohm'rs run in parallel? You may be able to rewire the cab is why I'm asking.

If you can't do that then I recommend Weber speakers but I'm not an expert on these or building cabs so bump for ya.

(tubetime - any thoughts?)

It's two 16's in parallel. Trust me, I've researched till the cows came home.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Check out Eminence's website, if you want something relatively cheap. They have a tone guide which can help you pick out a speaker for what you're looking for.

Jensen is another option. Weber is a third, etc. It really just depends on what you're looking for out of the speaker. I'd probably want to go for vintage style alnicos, if possible.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by TNfootballfan62
Check out Eminence's website, if you want something relatively cheap. They have a tone guide which can help you pick out a speaker for what you're looking for.

Jensen is another option. Weber is a third, etc. It really just depends on what you're looking for out of the speaker. I'd probably want to go for vintage style alnicos, if possible.

So I've been looking around a little and I've found two different options. One less expensive and one a little more. I'd rather not pay $100 a speaker but I will if the weber speakers aren't very nice.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Weber-Signature-Series-Alnico-10S-15-Watt-10-Speaker-?sku=660019

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jensen-P12R-25-Watt-12-Replacement-Speaker?sku=665013

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Honestly, I'm not sure what's better. Check out this thread, and maybe someone a bit more helpful will come in. https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=823671

Based on those reviews, I'd maybe be looking at either the Webers or Jensen P10rs.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
I have V30s running with a silverface Bassman, and they add some bite to a somewhat tame amp. I'm not sure how similar your Champ would be to the Bassman, especially since I have ultralinear transformers, but those or a similar clone would be worth looking at.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Wanna buy some more stuff from me?

I have some CTS and Jensen 10" 8 ohm ceramic speakers laying around that i'm looking to liquidate.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
if you have a vintage cab, then replacing the speaker would probably lower it's value if they are original. i try to keep vintage stuff in one piece when i can.

https://taweber.powweb.com/store/zmatch.htm

it'll fix the problem for you permanently, cheaply, and with no speaker replacement.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
I'm making my own cab...box. My dad is a carpenter and made all of the furniture in our house so he and I together will make it. Link doesn't work by the way.

If that's what I think it is though, it's what I waned in the first bloody place. Something that can take different loads and match them basically. Use a 4Ω amp with an 8Ω speaker or somehting.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
I have alnicos too.

Not sure if they would be what you're looking for though. They're a bit on the dark side. They are nice though, if you're running enough power through them.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
yes, it takes multiple input impedance and matches to multiple output impedances, also has some balanced outs. costs 80 bucks for a 50 watt amp and 100 usd for a 100 watt amp. it's under ted weber's site, called the z-matcher.

"The Impedance Matcher allows you to match the output impedance of your amp to impedances of speakers and cabinets that are not the same as your amp output impedance. Matches 2, 2.6, 4, 5.3, 8, and 16 ohms to 2, 2.6, 4, 5.3, 8, and 16 ohms. Includes an extra output jack and a balanced and unbalanced line out with a level adjustment. "

it you're making your own cab then i would go with one of their jenson copies, they should make you happy, they do cost a pretty penny for the alnico, but they're worth it. i have their alnico blue bell in my orange 212, mixed it with a ceramic silver bell. good sound.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Nov 19, 2009,
Oh, I forgot that I have some other really nice alnicos too.

Just ask me if you want more info.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
Oh, I forgot that I have some other really nice alnicos too.

Just ask me if you want more info.

Yeah, lemmie hear what you have. I'm open to so many things right now.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Old brownbasket CTS Alnicos. Standard issue in most fender amps from the BF to the SF era.
Circa 1970, aluminum dustcaps, good cones.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
Old brownbasket CTS Alnicos. Standard issue in most fender amps from the BF to the SF era.
Circa 1970, aluminum dustcaps, good cones.

I don't know of those. How would they compare to my stock Champ speaker which I greatly dislike?

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
They're pretty balanced with a little bite in the top end. They have a real sweet breakup and compress nicely. Just a good all around vintage voiced speaker.

What's the stock speaker in your champ, and what don't you like about it?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
They're pretty balanced with a little bite in the top end. They have a real sweet breakup and compress nicely. Just a good all around vintage voiced speaker.

What's the stock speaker in your champ, and what don't you like about it?

I'm not sure because it's in the shop right now but I think it's an old oxford 6incher. It really lacks bass (I mean obviously, it's a 6inch) but my PRS causes the speaker itself to distort on like, 1/4 volume. It's also a little too edgy for me, I want more of a warmer sound or if it's bright, I don't want harsh bright.
I mean, I'm running it through a cab in the first place to get a little more volume out of it, a fuller sound and to push a little more air. I'm also gonna have the feedback circuit disconnected.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMa5dq0GVdU
not trying to shamelessly hock my video, but if you listen, I start on the split coil and it's okay, but as soon as I bring the buckers in and roll up the volume the speaker starts breaking up rather unfavorably. Especially on the neck.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Most 10" speakers will be cleaner and warmer sounding than a 6" speaker.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
Most 10" speakers will be cleaner and warmer sounding than a 6" speaker.

So do you have two of these things? Or one of something else that will complement it well? And are they 8Ω? Oh, and how much. PM if you don't want to write it here.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
I have a quad of them, but I want to keep 2 to have in my CBB.

As for price, i'm not 100% sure. These are desirable speakers which aren't exactly cheap.
Hows about 150 for the pair?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
I have a quad of them, but I want to keep 2 to have in my CBB.

As for price, i'm not 100% sure. These are desirable speakers which aren't exactly cheap.
Hows about 150 for the pair?

Yeah, I could pay 150 for the pair. That sounds fair to me. Let me get my champ back from the shop first and make sure the bill is only 50 and not like 300 and make sure the thing will actually work in the long run, then I'll get back to you.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Alright.