I've been wanting to get a new bass to give me a new sound. I'm wanting a bass that would be good for slap. I would love a fender but the necks are just too thick for my little hands. I love how P and J basses sound but the neck just doesn't agree with me. I could manage with a J but never with a P.

Any recommendations? Price range is pretty low, $350 would be my max. This would be a Christmas gift.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
i would recommend a washburn XS-2. that is what i have, but it's very versatile. the neck is very nice on it and it sounds good.
MY GEAR!

Indiana IE1-TSB Electric
Kay K-592 Acousitc
Washburn XS-2 Bass
Peavey VYPYR30 with Sanpera I footswitch
Jay Turser Acoustic Electric
Paul Reed Smith (PRS) Custom SE 24 Black Cherry

www.myspace.com/12goodomens
Quote by Spaz91
Just checking, how much cheaper are guitars and basses in the US, compared to UK. Because $350 is £200 and that wouldn't even get a VM Squier here.

Here in the good ol US of A $300 will get you a brand new Squier VM. If you can manage a Jazz neck, you could also get a Squier P bass special for $280. It a P body with a J neck, and a P/J pickup combo.

Also, for around $300, you could probably find a used MIM J bass
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
^ pretty much. Ibanez is a good call too. I have a feeling you'd like the neck.

On a side note, I NEVER understood how a p-bass neck was big. I play one at school, and I don't notice the difference between it, an ibanez, and a jazz. Just saying :P
Quote by Tostitos
Here in the good ol US of A $300 will get you a brand new Squier VM. If you can manage a Jazz neck, you could also get a Squier P bass special for $280. It a P body with a J neck, and a P/J pickup combo.

Also, for around $300, you could probably find a used MIM J bass

I would love a P/J combo and I've considered a used MIM. I love Ibanez but I haven't found one I like at a store.

To the Westone comment, my girlfriend has this twenty year old Westone and I LOVE it. Are the basses similar to the guitars?
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Try out different ibanez SR series basses until you find one with a good slap tone. You can get nicer models used for $350 if you look around. ( I probably wouldn't get anything below the sr500 level). They have much thinner, faster necks than even a jazz.
I played a 505 once and loved it. I've found some on ebay. Think I should invest in a compressor pedal?
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls