hi i have i a gibson les paul studio and ive been breaking low Es right now i 10 gage erinie ball strings and a pretty heavy gage pick

and im thinking of going to 11 gage strings
does any one know how much harder thats gonna make it for me to play as far as bending and stuff?
it will be harder, but your finger will get used to it. i think there is a way of making it better but i'm not too sure. i usually just leave it alone and my finger hurt for a few days
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
You stop noticing after about a week
FEED ME MATHCORE

Quote by sashki

I also speak German, except no-one gives a shit.

GOOD MORNING SUNSHINE, AWAKE WHEN THE SUN HITS THE SKY
Quote by shredftw
it will be harder, but your finger will get used to it. i think there is a way of making it better but i'm not too sure. i usually just leave it alone and my finger hurt for a few days

so ill still be albe to bend notes really high (like jimmy page)? and will i have to get my guitar set up again
I use .010's for E and .011's for D, but as the above poster said, you'll get used to the extra tension, and gain a lot of finger strength in the process.

You may require a bit of a truss adjustment for the extra tension on the neck, but it should be a slight adjustment if any at all.
Quote by mike0206
so ill still be albe to bend notes really high (like jimmy page)? and will i have to get my guitar set up again

yeah i dont see why not. Dave Mustaine uses 12s i think (something pretty heavy at least) with standard tuning and he has some insane bending.
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Quote by shredftw
yeah i dont see why not. Dave Mustaine uses 12s i think (something pretty heavy at least) with standard tuning and he has some insane bending.

ok thanks man by the way wat year les paul do u have
Quote by mike0206
ok thanks man by the way wat year les paul do u have

not sure about the exact year, but its from the 70s
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
Quote by shredftw
not sure about the exact year, but its from the 70s

sweet how much did u pay 4 it
Quote by mike0206
sweet how much did u pay 4 it

£800 about 4 years ago, she'll always be my baby. she was only my second guitar as well
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
Quote by shredftw
£800 about 4 years ago, she'll always be my baby. she was only my second guitar as well

man i paid $700 4 my les paul studio but i still love it i'll probly never be able to get rid it
Quote by mike0206
man i paid $700 4 my les paul studio but i still love it i'll probly never be able to get rid it

they are great, i'll never sell mine even though i once considered trading it for a secondhand PRS. it will never happen though, i love too damn much
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
Quote by shredftw
they are great, i'll never sell mine even though i once considered trading it for a secondhand PRS. it will never happen though, i love too damn much

ya theres just something about les pauls RIP
If you are breaking low Es you must be doing something wrong. Or there's something wrong with your guitar.

Where does the string break? At the bridge, the nut or somewhere in the middle?
Quote by WtrPlyr
If you are breaking low Es you must be doing something wrong. Or there's something wrong with your guitar.

Where does the string break? At the bridge, the nut or somewhere in the middle?

at the bridge
Quote by mike0206
at the bridge

You've probably got a bad saddle or something then.

Also, for string gauges - you won't even notice on the lower strings, but it's definitely noticeable - and more difficult - on the treble strings.
Quote by Flying Couch
You've probably got a bad saddle or something then.

Also, for string gauges - you won't even notice on the lower strings, but it's definitely noticeable - and more difficult - on the treble strings.

so i sould buy i new bridge?
^-Agreed, i have string savers on my jag they really do increase the life of strings.

But as for string gauge i recommend going with light/top heavy bottoms or some other variant. 10-52s, best string gauge ever, bit tighter on the lower strings for tighter rhythm playing.
Quote by beckyjc
But as for string gauge i recommend going with light/top heavy bottoms or some other variant. 10-52s, best string gauge ever, bit tighter on the lower strings for tighter rhythm playing.

I concur with this. And as said, no reason to get a whole new bridge.
If its the same string in the same place then its gonna be a bridge saddle. The TOM bridges are pretty bad about it. It can also be to much angle over the saddles top wrapping the stopbar will reduce this angle. I know I rarely break strings on my 2 LPs after going to top wrapping. When they do break its just because its time for new ones.