I find the 1/4W setting still too loud for apartment practice.

A weber mini mass is only about $50 and that goes up to 15w, it might be worth a go, or if there's something even cheaper designed to get the best out of the recent slew of low wattage tube amps that'd be awesome too.

Is it even possible to use an attenuator with it?
Last edited by GURREN LAGANN at Nov 19, 2009,
It's a combo though, not the head/cab.

Would it not be a better idea to upgrade the existing attenuator somehow? I think the RAT mod does that.
Dude, 1/4 watts is still low, you don't even have to max it out. Frankly i don't see the point in an attenuator....
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
Quote by dudey5691
I'm not sure if you will be able to mod the power scaling circuit easily...

Get an attenuator and solder 1/4" adapters to the speaker wire, and from there plug into the attenuator.
Probably easier said than done, considering the amp's size.

+1 - I made this cable myself, but I'm pretty sure you can buy them.

I'd have to drill a hole though which I'm not comfortable with.

Is there any way to change the circuit so it does 1/10th Watt instead of 1/4th?
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
I'd have to drill a hole though which I'm not comfortable with.

Is there any way to change the circuit so it does 1/10th Watt instead of 1/4th?

If you can return it you could get the smaller version, it has an 8 inch speaker and goes down to 1/10 watt.
I'd be getting a tech to do it. I'm not drilling holes in my amp either.

Maybe I should get a good Voxy pedal instead.
Why would you have to drill a hole in your amp to make some cables to use a attenuator?

Unscrew the screws.
Cut ends off wires.
Solder 1/4" adapters.
Screw back panel on.

This will work ONLY if the first suggested attenuator will fit in the cavity.

I'm done.
If it's even possible to change the power-scaling values, go ahead.
Otherwise, see if you can trade for the AC4TV8. That fits your needs exactly.
To be honest, It's not really worth it, 1/4 watt really isn't that much.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
So I'd be putting the attenuator inside, and would have to open it up every time I want to adjust it?

:| Unless I run the wire through a gap somewhere.

Also what's with the 1/4w isn't very much thing? I guess none of you live in small cramped apartments next up to other small cramped apartments. People are pretty bad at getting other people's situations when it comes to gear...

I don't really want the AC4TV8 as I hear the speaker is very boxy and with the amp as it is I can just about jam with a drummer.
I never said it would be the most convenient but it's feasible.
You could always attach some velcro so you wouldn't need to keep unscrewing it. However, I have no idea what that would do to the tolex.

I've used 1/4w in small settings. It has some volume, but it's not that loud; nobody complained.
People aren't getting bad at interpreting situations, it's just everybody has different variables, so only an approximation can be made.

You could always get early-breakup tubes?
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
So I'd be putting the attenuator inside, and would have to open it up every time I want to adjust it?

:| Unless I run the wire through a gap somewhere.

Also what's with the 1/4w isn't very much thing? I guess none of you live in small cramped apartments next up to other small cramped apartments. People are pretty bad at getting other people's situations when it comes to gear...

I don't really want the AC4TV8 as I hear the speaker is very boxy and with the amp as it is I can just about jam with a drummer.

I don't know what else to tell you. You came here asking for a way to modify your amp for less output volume, but yet you DON'T want to modify your amp in any way
Why on earth would you want to modify the amp like this? Just turn down the volume!!! If you want more gain, get a used overdrive pedal. I picked up a Bad Monkey for $30. Much more sane option than dicking with the circuitry of a great amp.
Quote by steve108819
Why on earth would you want to modify the amp like this? Just turn down the volume!!! If you want more gain, get a used overdrive pedal. I picked up a Bad Monkey for $30. Much more sane option than dicking with the circuitry of a great amp.

honestly, i think this is probably the best option. i tried the amp and it wasnt that loud. i mean sure on the 1/4 W mode you probably wont want to completly crank it if your neighbors are annoying, but im not sure how much quieter it would actually be with another attenuator.
i agree with the od and low volume, or just ask everyone around you when they start to hear your amp

ive heard stories of people getting rid of 6505 heads and avatar 4x12s because they thought it was annoying their neighbors until one day he sold it all and bought a micro cube, and asked his neighbor, she said she never heard a damn thing.
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Quote by steve108819

But I like the gain on the Vox that's why I got it. I have Dirty Bomb that does everything but Vox-like sounds.

I'm considering using the looper on my Digidelay, and going outside to see if I can hear it. But now the speaker's been broken in, it sounds even louder. Keep in mind I'm living in a fairly old shitty apartments. A lot of you people don't understand that since generally gear heads are well above that level, especially in the US where there's a pretty stark contrast.

I think I Want to try and get the power scaler kit and get someone to do it for me. The attenuator solution is awkward.

I was also wondering if I could reverse the Speaker EXT so I could use other 5W heads with the speaker like the hT-5 or Tiny Terror. It looked like I could easy enough. Those both have master volumes.
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
But I like the gain on the Vox that's why I got it. I have Dirty Bomb that does everything but Vox-like sounds.

I'm considering using the looper on my Digidelay, and going outside to see if I can hear it. But now the speaker's been broken in, it sounds even louder. Keep in mind I'm living in a fairly old shitty apartments. A lot of you people don't understand that since generally gear heads are well above that level, especially in the US where there's a pretty stark contrast.

I get what you're saying here. 1/4 watts for me is too loud 80% of the time. What I suggest is getting an OD for low gain and accept you can't crank it much. If you turn it up til it's breaking up a bit then add an OD it should keep most of the amp's characteristics.

And I doubt going down to 1/10 is going to make a big difference really. Compare the 3 wattage modes and there isn't a massive difference, should be the same with the next step down.

http://www.amptone.com/g112.htm
Last edited by aaronni at Nov 20, 2009,
I guess something like an SD-1 for the same but with a mid boost, or a TOD type of deal might work well?

Overloading the preamp gives more of a fuzzy tone which is cool but doesn't have that Voxxy sound.
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
I guess something like an SD-1 for the same but with a mid boost, or a TOD type of deal might work well?

Overloading the preamp gives more of a fuzzy tone which is cool but doesn't have that Voxxy sound.

What do you mean by TOD? Transparent OD? That would be my choice personally, you could get something like the Danelectro transparent OD for cheap and see how that works. If you want a mid boost then go for a tubescreamer or similar.