i want to make one like this!

http://www.instructables.com/id/Build-a-Talk-box-inside-a-Toilet-Plunger/

my dad owns a hardware store, so it would be cheap and easy. i want to know how i could make this work through my amp and guitar. all advice is welcome.
MY GEAR!

Indiana IE1-TSB Electric
Kay K-592 Acousitc
Washburn XS-2 Bass
Peavey VYPYR30 with Sanpera I footswitch
Jay Turser Acoustic Electric
Paul Reed Smith (PRS) Custom SE 24 Black Cherry

www.myspace.com/12goodomens
<bump>
MY GEAR!

Indiana IE1-TSB Electric
Kay K-592 Acousitc
Washburn XS-2 Bass

Just go get yourself a MicroKorg.

And that is a Vocoder, not a talk box.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
i want a TALK BOX, not a vocoder. i don't want a talk box effect footswitch either, i want the real deal.
MY GEAR!

Indiana IE1-TSB Electric
Kay K-592 Acousitc
Washburn XS-2 Bass

so i just need to make it like that??? how would i get it in for my amp. my gear is listed below. would i plug it in through the auxillary input? this will be awesome!!! all i need to do is get some speakers really cuz i can get all the other stuff at my dad's hardware store!
MY GEAR!

Indiana IE1-TSB Electric
Kay K-592 Acousitc
Washburn XS-2 Bass

The one i made i took the wires to my speaker and extended them to a DPDT switch and wired it so i can switch between my amps speakers and the horn driver.
^ I did a similar thing. just wire it so the talk box is in place of a speaker cab

also, I used 2 pipe end caps for my box. way more compact than a pipe end, and a tupperware container
so how do i hook it up to my amp? (Peavey VYPYR 30W) auxillary input?
MY GEAR!

Indiana IE1-TSB Electric
Kay K-592 Acousitc
Washburn XS-2 Bass

^no, you just need a speaker that matches your amps output impedance to go in the talk box. then you connect the talkbox where your amp's normal speaker is

if you connect the box to an input on the amp, it wont really do anything.
you're not modulating the signal TO the amp, you're just changing the way the air moves from the speaker
so i connect it through the record out? i wouldn't get any sound out! i really don't know what you're talking about!
MY GEAR!

Indiana IE1-TSB Electric
Kay K-592 Acousitc
Washburn XS-2 Bass

please try to make your replies as simple as possible because i don't really know how to do this stuff, but i want to give it a shot. i'm new to building gear.
MY GEAR!

Indiana IE1-TSB Electric
Kay K-592 Acousitc
Washburn XS-2 Bass

sorry if what I was saying didnt make a ton of sense..I'm at work, so I've gotta type in burts while the boss isnt looking

basically, you're completely disconnecting the speaker that is in your amp right now.
theres 2 wires that go to the speaker, so just disconnect them.

now connect those 2 wires to the speaker inside your talk box.

and thats it. the rest of this post is just for like.. further information.

you can attach the wires directly to your talkbox speaker, or you could also add a jack that your talkbox plugs into, either way works.

logan mentions a dpdt switch. thats not nessecary, he just has it in there, so when he wants to switch from talkbox to the normal guitar sound, he doesnt have to unplug his speaker/plug the amp's speaker output into the talkbox.

where I mention impedances, I'm talking about one of the ratings on your speaker.
an amp needs to drive a speaker with the proper impedance. in a tube amp, a mismatched speaker load can kill your output transformer.
in a solid state amp, it wont kill your amp, but you wont get the optimal performance
your amp is solid state, I believe.. so a mismatched impedance won't fry your amp. it'll just be desireable, to get the best efficiency out of that little speaker in the talkbox.

the speaker in your amp will probably have the impedance written on it. usually it's 4, 8, or 16 ohms.
the symbol for ohms is an omega sign.
that's your speaker's impedance, and thats what the amp is made to handle.

try to match the impedance of the speaker in your talkbox with the speaker that is in your amp.

..hopefully thats a little clearer..
Last edited by james4 at Nov 20, 2009,
i'm not looking to connect it to my amp permanently, i want something that i can plug in like a pedal or a footswitch and toggle it on and off. i thought this would be a little bit simpler like in the video. i don't think my question has been answered yet about plugging it in through the auxillary input or the record out or something. is that something i would be able to do? i don't want to have to mess with a whole mess of wiring stuff.
MY GEAR!

Indiana IE1-TSB Electric
Kay K-592 Acousitc
Washburn XS-2 Bass

Basic concept:

Guitar > amplification > talkbox > tubing > mouth > sound > microphone > amplification > speaker

You need 2 different bits of amplification in this process.
It can't run through the same amp for both
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
so, i need a new amp too?
MY GEAR!

Indiana IE1-TSB Electric
Kay K-592 Acousitc
Washburn XS-2 Bass

<bump>
MY GEAR!

Indiana IE1-TSB Electric
Kay K-592 Acousitc
Washburn XS-2 Bass

you dont need a new amp if you're just like, fooling around.

you'll need some kind of extra amplification if you want to be much louder than a talking volume, though.

I think you're looking at a talkbox as more of a guitar effect, when it's really more of a vocal effect. ..if that makes sense
so should i just buy one on musiciansfriend.com or something? they're like $160, which i would rather not do, but it would be a cool thing to have. i probably would just mess around with it, though. i thought the computer speaker would be the other amplification...
MY GEAR!

Indiana IE1-TSB Electric
Kay K-592 Acousitc
Washburn XS-2 Bass

Quote by lildude_6859
so, i need a new amp too?
If you're satisfied with just having some sound come out of your mouth, then you don't need a microphone and another amp.

Quote by lildude_6859
so should i just buy one on musiciansfriend.com or something? they're like $160, which i would rather not do, but it would be a cool thing to have. i probably would just mess around with it, though. i thought the computer speaker would be the other amplification...
Your guitar signal isn't big enough to drive a computer speaker. Even if it's a powered speaker, it needs a bigger signal than a guitar can deliver. So you would need a preamp.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
how much would a preamp cost?
MY GEAR!

Indiana IE1-TSB Electric
Kay K-592 Acousitc
Washburn XS-2 Bass

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Crate-FlexWave-Series-FW120--120W-2x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-481052-i1175923.gc

This is only until i can draw up a diagram on how i wired mine but this should help.

The picture of the amp on the back has two wires running from the amp to the first speaker than that speaker is wired into the other.
I spliced the wires running from the amp to the speaker and ran those to the center terminals of a DPDT switch then i ran some speaker wire from on on position terminal to the amps speakers. Then the other on position terminals where wired to the horn driver. This configuration means that you just flip the switch to change from the talkbox to the amp.
i don't have that big of an amp, i have a 30 W peavey VYPYR and i would rather not buy a bigger one right now.
MY GEAR!

Indiana IE1-TSB Electric
Kay K-592 Acousitc
Washburn XS-2 Bass

Read what the guy actually said. He only linked to guitar center so you can see what he's talking about.
Last.fm

Good Trades:
lp_dude_2 / miketheslut/ kshands / alexmack

i'll wait until he gets the diagram drawn up.
MY GEAR!

Indiana IE1-TSB Electric
Kay K-592 Acousitc
Washburn XS-2 Bass

so, i would HAVE to disconnect it making it this way. would this affect me playing through my amp by switching through all the presets? i think i'm understanding it a little better after the diagram. if i do understand correct, i disconnect the wires from my amp, connect them to my footswitch, wire an input jack to the footswitch, plug in the talkbox to my guitar, plug the footswitch to the amp, and BAM it works. i'm not sure if you're talking about my Sanpera I or getting another footswitch, though, and the input jack part.
MY GEAR!

Indiana IE1-TSB Electric
Kay K-592 Acousitc
Washburn XS-2 Bass

Quote by lildude_6859
so, i would HAVE to disconnect it making it this way.

you have to disconnect the speaker no matter how you do it.
if you were to wire the talkbox directly to the amp's output, without using a switch, you'd still disconnect the amp's speaker.

you'd take the 2 wires off the speaker like in the animation, and wire them to the input of the talkbox. you could also wire them dirctly to the speaker inside the talkbox.

Quote by lildude_6859
would this affect me playing through my amp by switching through all the presets?

no. you still plug your guitar into the input of the amp. you still choose your settings on the amp. the only difference is that instead of sound coming from the speaker attached to your amp, the sound comes out of the speaker inside the talkbox.

because the box is sealed, with a tube coming out of it, the sound comes out of the end of the tube, where you stick it in your mouth.

Quote by lildude_6859
i think i'm understanding it a little better after the diagram. if i do understand correct, i disconnect the wires from my amp, connect them to my footswitch,

this is where I think you lose it..

that switch I drew is a completely different switch. it could be a footswitch style, but it's just any dpdt switch. not the footswitch you have for your amp

Quote by lildude_6859
wire an input jack to the footswitch,

*dpdt switch. not necessarily your footswitch

Quote by lildude_6859
plug in the talkbox to my guitar, plug the footswitch to the amp,

like I said earlier in this post, you still plug the guitar into the amp's input. the talkbox is in place of the amp's speaker

Quote by lildude_6859
and BAM it works. i'm not sure if you're talking about my Sanpera I or getting another footswitch, though, and the input jack part.

..another diagram in a second...

..I think thats the only way I'm gonna be able to explain it to you..

Sorry for it being hand drawn but i am piss poor at drawing on computer programs but this layout should give the general idea.
the wires should be red and black not blue and black but connect them in this way and it will work.
the only things you need to buy are in this list.
1.) Horn Driver
2.) DPDT switch
3.) Speaker wire
4.) 3/8" Vinyl tubing
5.) a PVC reducer

I could also post picture of my amp and talkbox by tomarrow
Last edited by loganleunidus at Nov 24, 2009,
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/search.aspx?K=horn%20driver

all you need is a horn driver, take a regular cable and cut off one end and attach the wires to the horn driver and plug the other end into the output jack on an amp and viola. You need to attach a hose from the horn driver to your mouth but thats easy.

http://www.mocheez.fr/I%20Play%20The%20Talkbox/Custom.html

thats all you need.
oh but dont be dissapointed if its not very loud, you need to mic it.

And it makes your mouth salivate a lot when you have the hose in the side of your mouth... wierd
where do i get a dpdt switch? i've never heard of one before...

the other moving diagram makes a lot more sense! thanks james4!
MY GEAR!

Indiana IE1-TSB Electric
Kay K-592 Acousitc
Washburn XS-2 Bass

okay...so should i use the amp i have as a talkbox amp and then get another amp?
MY GEAR!

Indiana IE1-TSB Electric
Kay K-592 Acousitc
Washburn XS-2 Bass

Quote by lildude_6859
okay...so should i use the amp i have as a talkbox amp and then get another amp?

whatever you want..

if you don't mind drilling a pair of holes to mount the switch and output jack, I'd say use your current amp. the switch routes the amplified signal to either
1) the amp's speaker
or
2) the output jack you wire in.

so even if you don't want to use a talkbox later on, you can also use that jack to plug in an extention cabinet. so like, by wiring the switch and jack in, you're not making it so you can only use a talkbox. you can play through the speaker like you normally would, you can play through the talkbox, or you can play through an external cab.

you don't absolutely need a new amp, but if you want to mic yourself and amplify that, see if you can find a cheap starter amp, and a karaoke microphone or something to plug into it. it wont sound amazing, but it'll be cheaper than buying a proper mic and PA
after seeing all the work that needs done, i don't know if i really WANT to make one anymore! i don't have a whole lot of time to mess around with that kind of stuff anyways, but i guess it was a good learning experience. i might just try it like how they did it in the video, but i'm not sure. if i have spare time and money, i might just do both, just to see how it would work differently.
MY GEAR!

Indiana IE1-TSB Electric
Kay K-592 Acousitc
Washburn XS-2 Bass