If I got a 7-string, would I never have to down my other 6 strings down or something?
Every time I talk about detuning, everybody says to get a 7-string, which is why I'm curious of this.

Thanks for any help.
The seventh and lowest string gives you a low B.

So if you tune anywhere between low E and B, you wouldn't need to down tune.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
If you're detuning to B standard and beyond, then yes. For tunings like Drop C and D, then you'd either need to detune you 6's or capo your 7. It's important to note that a 7 string in B will sound different from a 6 in B. The 7 will sound somewhat "tauter" while the 6 will sound more loose.

This is of course a generalisation
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Quote by Dopey_Trout
If you're detuning to B standard and beyond, then yes. For tunings like Drop C and D, then you'd either need to detune you 6's or capo your 7. It's important to note that a 7 string in B will sound different from a 6 in B. The 7 will sound somewhat "tauter" while the 6 will sound more loose.

I'm not being a d*ck here, but I think that, judging by his initial post, most of what you said is probably way too complicated for him.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by Dopey_Trout

Well, you can compensate. Thicker gauge strings and a different EQ on your amp make all the world if you intend to stay in B Standard on a 6
Quote by sporkman7
so what wierd things can u guys do? no not like laser vision or meat vision or something, but like random stuff that usually comes in handy
Don't forget that getting a baritone might be a better option for you. Six strings but you can still tune low because it has a longer scale length.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

I'd only get a 7 if you were tuning to B standard or lower. Another option if you don't want a wider neck it to get a baritone which are tuned to B standard.

If you're only down tuning to Drop C or something like that then there is no need for an extended range guitar.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Nov 19, 2009,
Well, I just want one guitar that will work with each tuning without having fret buzz. I figured I could do that if I didn't have to tune my 6 strings down at all, but I didn't see how you would play (for example) drop C songs if that was the case.

Barring the fat strings for rhythm riffs in drop C songs*
Last edited by Mathcorey at Nov 19, 2009,
Quote by Mathcorey

Every time I talk about detuning, everybody says to get a 7-string

Quote by Mathcorey
Well, I just want one guitar that will work with each tuning without having fret buzz. I figured I could do that if I didn't have to tune my 6 strings down at all, but I didn't see how you would play (for example) drop C songs if that was the case.

Find the root note and play it on the seven string. For example, on the Low B, everything played on the B string would be one fret higher than tabbed - it's a half step lower. You'd just be playing a traditional power chord instead of doing it with one finger. For higher strings, you'd just need to invert some shapes or have a more mobile fret hand. I hardly ever use drop tunings anymore, in fact.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Last edited by strat0blaster at Nov 19, 2009,