Page 1 of 2
What does TECHNICAL mean in MUSIC?????

I know this probably sounds really dumb but hey, no one's ever explained it to me. I've heard the term "Really Technical" said about lots of my favorite metal bands, but I don't hear any electronic bounce beats or anything, so i'm pretty sure that's not what it means, and i want to know what distinguishes a technical band from one not so.

Thanks for comments
Quote by archangels666
It means you're only supposed to use one question mark.

TECHNICALLY this is correct
There's little or no feeling it it..

EX: Blues is not technical. Prog Rock is.
Quote by Smokey Amp
Aren't all voiceovers performed by Morgan Freeman?

I thought that was like a law or something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1KI2Bxcx8M
^^^^ Please watch this! we need more views to win $20 000!
Quote by Dumebuggy

No, it just tends to be emotions other than sadness or being uplifting. Why do people always ignore anger etc as a feeling to be expressed in music.
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Quote by Dumebuggy

Don't you dare say that again.

Technical means (to me) complex, in terms of rhythm and/or melody and/or harmony.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
It just describes music with a lot of difficult playing, played usually quite fast. Most prog metal bands would fit this description.

Anything that took a lot of thought (or random wankery in Guitar Pro) to write with a lot of lead work and challenging riffs pretty much.
Quote by Doodleface
Don't you dare say that again.

Technical means (to me) complex, in terms of rhythm and/or melody and/or harmony.

Ok now i'm getting it. that is definitely what i like in the music. thanks all for the comments
Usually refers to jazz elements, complex song structuring, odd/multiple time signatures and extensive use of dynamics, amongst other things.

It's become rather watered down in the last few years though. It seems any metal band who play diminished sweeps between breakdowns are TECH AS F.UCK.
Quote by haz_uk
Usually refers to jazz elements, complex song structuring, odd/multiple time signatures and extensive use of dynamics, amongst other things.

It's become rather watered down in the last few years though. It seems any metal band who play diminished sweeps between breakdowns are TECH AS F.UCK.

Sadly this is definately the case. I've even heard people say bring me the horizon is technical...
Quote by Dumebuggy

There's no way you can say jazz has no feeling in it.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
everyone saying prog isnt technical go play a petrucci solo or listne to the music, and ACTUALLY listen, dont just sit there and headbang to the rhythm.
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Quote by westdyolf
everyone saying prog isnt technical go play a petrucci solo or listne to the music, and ACTUALLY listen, dont just sit there and headbang to the rhythm.

No one said that
Quote by CTFOD

There's no way you can say jazz has no feeling in it.

It depends on who it is. There are wankers in jazz, just as there are wankers in metal.
It's mainly referring to how hard something is to play. At least that's how the context sounds when people say that their favorite metal guitarist is super technical.
Quote by haz_uk

Quote by Holy Katana
It depends on who it is. There are wankers in jazz, just as there are wankers in metal.

Still, being a guitar wanker and putting feel into your stuff aren't mutually exclusive.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Quote by CTFOD
Still, being a guitar wanker and putting feel into your stuff aren't mutually exclusive.

"Feeling" is all subjective anyway. I have stronger feelings when I listen to something minimalistic and mechanical like Joy Division or The Jesus & Mary Chain than I do when I listen to more complex pieces. To claim that any music inherently has more feeling is ridiculous.
Quote by neidnarb11890
"Feeling" is all subjective anyway. I have stronger feelings when I listen to something minimalistic and mechanical like Joy Division or The Jesus & Mary Chain than I do when I listen to more complex pieces. To claim that any music inherently has more feeling is ridiculous.

Very intelligent answer. It is subjective.

I personally feel nothing listening to most blues or rock, but get a real kick out of stuff like Martyr (ridiculously technical, not in the sweepy way but in terms of jazz-influenced complex structures) and Augury. Even the "wanky" ones like Brain Drill and BTM I get a fair bit out of.

What is mountains? A mountains has no special shapes or sound!

Epic Chill Broseph Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join.

Quote by Athabasca

I personally feel nothing listening to most blues or rock, but get a real kick out of stuff like Martyr (ridiculously technical, not in the sweepy way but in terms of jazz-influenced complex structures) and Augury. Even the "wanky" ones like Brain Drill and BTM I get a fair bit out of.

+1
Quote by Athabasca

I swear I said the exact same thing about the both of them a day or 2 ago.
Quote by huevos
I swear I said the exact same thing about the both of them a day or 2 ago.

Amazingly good music bro no doubt about it.
What is mountains? A mountains has no special shapes or sound!

Epic Chill Broseph Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join.

Paco De Lucia is technical.
Quote by CaptainCanti
it wouldn't surprise me if UG goes down within the next couple months, along with other privately owned sites

December 14, 2017
Technical music can be fucking emotional, and anyone who says otherwise is a pile of rectums.

And yeah, technical music is complicated music, often very hard to play, utilises a lot of different techniques, and has nothing whatsoever to do with how emotional or expressive the piece is.

Technicality isn't always tasteless or wanky, either. It's just complicated.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Nov 20, 2009,
Quote by StewieSwan
Paco De Lucia is technical.

This is wat TS has been waiting for. You now go look this guy up and you WILL see what technical is.
Quote by Holy Katana
Your last job only paid you $7.00 AUD an hour? That's like $6.05 in the US. What the hell is the minimum wage over there?

Quote by titsmcgee852
$0 for volunteer work

ollollolollol

^
Technical stuff requires technique.

Ta da!

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Quote by Henkdemachtige
This is wat TS has been waiting for. You now go look this guy up and you WILL see what technical is.

Yes. Do this. Do this now.
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
What are some technical songs? other than selkies by BTBAM.. i want to learn something.
Are you talking strictly metal? Necrophagist and Between The Buried and Me (especially new album) are about as technical as it gets.
Quote by braydz
What are some technical songs? other than selkies by BTBAM.. i want to learn something.

Try The Human Abstract.
Quote by CaptainCanti
it wouldn't surprise me if UG goes down within the next couple months, along with other privately owned sites

December 14, 2017
||------------------
||------------------
||-0-3-5-0-3-6-5
||-0-3-5-0-3-6-5
||------------------
||------------------

About as technical as it gets
Its where you throw in completely random passages that have nothing to do with the style of music you play in while having no transitions from one to the other making it sound unlistenably choppy. Example: Colors by BTBAM

Quote by pigeonmafia
Sadly this is definately the case. I've even heard people say bring me the horizon is technical...

If they're talking about Count Your Blessings then yeah, to an extent. But if they arent then
love is love // return to dust
Last edited by tancanada at Nov 20, 2009,
Page 1 of 2