When Holdsworth plays, does he 'tap' the strings instead of pulling off? Or how does his motion work? (question stems from here)
He hammers on in reverse; kind of like a hammer-on from nowhere.
If, for example, he did this lick -> 5h7h9
he would do 9h7h5. he takes the finger off, and hammers down from nowhere onto the next descending note. its quite hard
Quote by WishfulShredder
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1207016
theres some stuff in there that could be useful

thanks, been looking for some information on this for a while, didn't think to look there
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by hippieboy444
When Holdsworth plays, does he 'tap' the strings instead of pulling off? Or how does his motion work? (question stems from here)

I can't believe Marshall can do a 10 minute video on a simple idea and not even get it across... >.<

When descending with legato (eg, 8th fret to 7th to 5th), Holdsy would lift his pinky and at the same time, hammer on with his ring, then lift his ring and hammer on with index. In other words, no matter which direction or string he is on Holdsy always hammers on to new notes when he can.
Actually on the Planet that Allan Holdsworth comes from, that technique is the way all beings play the guitar!
Main Rig:Yami Pac1412 TransRed (EVO, HS2, Hot Rails) ->Bad Horsie->GNX3K ->MagicStomp->L/R PA
Ampeg VL503, Ampeg V4, Digitech GNX2, Art SGX2K; AXES: Yam Pac1412 RedBurst & Weddington Custom & CPX-15W, '63 Gibson SG Custom & '80 ES-350T
Has anyone here on UG mastered this?
Ive been traing my left hand alot these past few months and I can do legato runs only upwards (6th string to first) with hammer-ons.
Have yet to decide between this kind of legato with only hammer-ons when you go back down or just normal pull-offs.
Any advice?