After having pretty much no extra money for a while, I've finally found a job that may potentially make me up to $200 a week!!!

I've pretty much stopped looking at guitars/gear because I didn't have any money to get whatever I wanted anyway, and have been sucked into The Pit, but now that I should have money soon, I was wondering what I should get.

Let me tell you what I'm playing currently:

Squier Strat, i've had it for about 4-5 years
Carlo Robelli (sp?) starter acoustic guitar, had about 6-7 years
Digitech Bad Monkey OD
Crate V33 tube amp (still with original tubes), had since last september

I play in a band that plays, I guess what could be considered "alternative," but I really never understood most genres. If you actually care you can see what we sound like at http://www.myspace.com/jamescastlejump

So I was wondering if Ultimate-Guitar could give me some places to start looking again into upgrades/new gear.

Thank you in advance.

EDIT: I've been fascinated by hollow/semi-hollow body guitars recently, does anyone have some information on these, although I do realize this is not the guitar section.

EDIT2: Would it be considered spam to post a similar thread in Electric Guitar as well?
Last edited by Tom_Servo at Nov 19, 2009,
Places: Craigslist and Ebay for used deals, Musiciansfriend for online buys, and Guitar Center and Samash for at the stop buys

IMO, upgrade the tubes on your amp, buy some sort of an EQ for it, then replace your guitars. If you like your Squier, you could go Mex Strat, and the acoustic can be anything.

Just my $0.02
Brasil.

Quote by Daneeka
I heard there is uranium gas in the tubes. So you could easily make a little nuclear blast. If i were you, i wouldn't want to start the World War III.

THE SHORT BACK AND SIDES !!!

Fender Jaguar HH
Digitech RP355
Quote by alexdoabismo
Places: Craigslist and Ebay for used deals, Musiciansfriend for online buys, and Guitar Center and Samash for at the stop buys

IMO, upgrade the tubes on your amp, buy some sort of an EQ for it, then replace your guitars. If you like your Squier, you could go Mex Strat, and the acoustic can be anything.

Just my $0.02

+1

If you are generally happy with your amp and guitars then the next logical upgrades would be pedals (like an EQ) or maybe new pickups for your guitar.

There is a Semi-Hollow body thread in EG and obviously an Acoustic guitar forum.

If you want to talk amps, pedals, tubes, pickups, etc - you are in the right place. If you want to talk guitars, then start a new thread or ask a mod to move this one. PS - you can have another thread in EG or whatever, just don't make it exactly like this one or it could get reported.

that's my .311 cents
How the hail can you have .011 cents?!?!?!!!
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
As far as tubes, what sites do you buy them from online? I would assume you only get them online?

And what do you think of 3 Tung-Sol 12AX7 and 4 JJ EL84?

EDIT: In the US
Last edited by Tom_Servo at Nov 20, 2009,
It depends, what do you least like about your rig?

Personally i would go with a new guitar first but considering the kind of cash you expect to make a superior amp isn't too far in the future anyway.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by Tom_Servo
As far as tubes, what sites do you buy them from online? I would assume you only get them online?

And what do you think of 3 Tung-Sol 12AX7 and 4 JJ EL84?

thetubestore.com
I just got the same tubes for my Laney and it sounds great!
I recommend dougstubes.com

ask him.

I'm not super familiar with the V's layout but I personally wouldn't go with all Tung Sols for preamps. Maybe in the first slot. But not in V3.

Those V33's have 4 power tubes

I think Imgooley has a similar amp, maybe ask him what he would do or hit up the Only Crate amp thread.
Don't think so.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
^ I didn't either...

JJs are dark tubes
Tung Sols are brighter tubes.

The V33 is fairly bright 'I think' compared to the V50 so JJs in power amp and even preamp may help........depending one what you play right?

Alternative music is fairly dark. I'd say JJs in power amp is good and then Tung Sol for V1, JJ for V2 and maybe a JJ, or JAN Phillips NOS for V3.

Guessing
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^does the V33 have 4 power tubes?

Yes, it has 4 EL84 and 3 12AX7.

I e-mailed Dougstubes and he told me:

Go with the JJ EL84's and for the 3 x 12AX7's, do a Tung-Sol in V1, a Penta Labs in V2 and a Sovtek LP in V3.

Sound good?

EDIT: Will it be pretty obvious when I open up the amp which is V1, V2, and V3?
Last edited by Tom_Servo at Nov 22, 2009,
Tom, I did a little research and the V33 does indeed have 4 power tubes.

His rec sounds very solid. I bought a Tung Sol, Penta Labs 9th gen, and a JAN Phillips from him not too long ago. Shipped immediately. You also need to find out if the power tubes need to be biased when replacing. If they do, and you don't know what that means or are familiar with electronics then get someone to help you or have a tech do it. Filter caps can kill!

Usually, the V1 slot is the preamp tube closest to the insert jack and the V3 (or last preamp tube) is the one closest to the Power tubes as it feeds them. If you think about how your signal passes through an amp this will make more sense.

Take some pictures of your amp once you get your tubes and I might be able to help you a little further. Find out if you need to bias this amp - I'm thinking you do but not sure.

Edit....^not a bad suggestion either on speakers. Also, unless you really feel you need to change your power tubes I would just wait. You'll need to change them at some point anyway.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Nov 21, 2009,