I stopped playing guitar about 6 months ago to play bass full time with my band. Although I love playing bass and I feel that I can find more gigs being a bass player, I feel like I can write more music on and for guitar.

That being said, I need a smallish tube amp to get me back into playing.

I'm thinking a maximum of 40 watts. I won't need anything above this because I don't plan on gigging with it and if I do the venue will mic my amp.

I'm mainly looking for an amp with nice cleans but that will get distorted if I really need it. I don't mind adding a pedal.

I've played through that Fender Champion 5W amp and it seemed to lack the tube warmth that I'm looking for. I played a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and it seemed to be a lot of what I was looking for in an amp. Regarding the Hot Rod, did Fender just move production overseas causing the quality of these amps to plummet? The one I played was very nice.

I don't exactly have a budget, I work at a music store where I can get discounts on Fender products, but let's say around $700USD. I'm leaning towards one of the Hot Rod Deluxes but can someone fill me in on the quality of those?

If there's something I need to add please let me know.

Thanks in advance.
HRDs are pretty decent to be honest. What kind of genres are you looking at playing?
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
used peavey classic 30
vox night train
the hot rod is alright if you want good cleans and a solid foundation to build a dirty tone with pedals

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

The HRD's distortion is bad. Real bad.

I say look into the Bugera V22 or V55.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
vox valvetronix 30W
my friend has one of these and it is pretty good. i think that if he messed with it more, he would have a better sound than what he has!!! lol
MY GEAR!

Indiana IE1-TSB Electric
Kay K-592 Acousitc
Washburn XS-2 Bass
Peavey VYPYR30 with Sanpera I footswitch
Jay Turser Acoustic Electric
Paul Reed Smith (PRS) Custom SE 24 Black Cherry

www.myspace.com/12goodomens
Oh, with a pedal the HRD would be a good choice. The amp's actual distortion channel is what I'm talking about, haha.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by Yngwi3
HRDs are pretty decent to be honest. What kind of genres are you looking at playing?

I'm not really sure...I want a decent clean tone to write with but if I had to classify a genre I would say alternative.
I say either the HRD with some nice dirt pedals or a Vox AC15.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
wow TOMMY, you bumped that at the same time I did

I wouldn't go for an HRD if you play alternative. Unless the store you work for only sells Fenders. Do you need to be able to gig with said amp too? If not, look at the Fender SuperChamp or a Peavey Classic 30 as mentioned.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
wow TOMMY, you bumped that at the same time I did

I wouldn't go for an HRD if you play alternative. Unless the store you work for only sells Fenders. Do you need to be able to gig with said amp too? If not, look at the Fender SuperChamp or a Peavey Classic 30 as mentioned.

i'm confused, what did i do?
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by TOMMYB22
i'm confused, what did i do?

When you post in a thread, you "bump" it back to the top of the list of threads. People often call a post a "bump" if it's a useless post that serves mostly to keep the thread alive, but what he meant in this case is that you both posted in this thread around the same time.
Quote by CarpUK
Beat the recession by soldering your strings back together! What's more, the extra metal vibrating back and forth will add to your tone... and what could be more metal than more metal!?!

Quote by biga29
Plz uz reel wurdz bcoz wen u tipe lik this its hard 2 red.
Quote by The_Future_Soon
When you post in a thread, you "bump" it back to the top of the list of threads. People often call a post a "bump" if it's a useless post that serves mostly to keep the thread alive, but what he meant in this case is that you both posted in this thread around the same time.

Of course i know what a bump is i just didn't understand because i posted a couple minutes before him so i didn't know what he was talking about.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
^dude..no worries, I thought I was going to have the 'next word' in here and then your post came in before mine with the opposite advice. It's all good. The HRD is a fine amp, especially for working with pedals.

PS: I shouldn't have used the word bump - it was just a post.
dude you know a 40 watt tube amp is loud as shit right?

5 tube watts is loud as around 50 solid state.
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^dude..no worries, I thought I was going to have the 'next word' in here and then your post came in before mine with the opposite advice. It's all good. The HRD is a fine amp, especially for working with pedals.

PS: I shouldn't have used the word bump - it was just a post.

Yeah definitely, it just needs a dirt pedal to go with it. Although the Vox i suggested would have the cleans and the crunch he wanted, maybe that would be better suited?
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
Quote by TOMMYB22
Yeah definitely, it just needs a dirt pedal to go with it. Although the Vox i suggested would have the cleans and the crunch he wanted, maybe that would be better suited?

great rec..

Bostonrocks owned one recently....I think he has clips of it.

PS: I personally would rather rely on the amp either way
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Nov 20, 2009,
Quote by westdyolf
dude you know a 40 watt tube amp is loud as shit right?

5 tube watts is loud as around 50 solid state.

Were you referring to me? If so, yes I do know how much louder tubes are.

I would go the 5 watter route but the few that I played sounded horrible IMO. They lacked warm lows and sounded harsh to my ears. The HRD sounded much better to me. I'm still undecided.
HRD would be a good option, but if you wanted to check out something cheaper, try the Blackheart Handsome Devil (15watt) or the Little Giant (5watt).
Clips are in my profile of the HD if you're interested.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
There are some mod kits on ebay that claim to make the HRD's dirty channel much better, as well as fixing some other minor issues.

I like both the Classic 30 and the HRD, and I've never had a gigantic problem with the dirty channel. Try them both back to back; the Classic 30 is based on the Fender Bassman, IIRC.
Quote by Raijouta
The HRD's distortion is bad. Real bad.

+1

traynor ycv40?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Another option could be a Peavey Valveking with some mods. PM Cap47, he has a modded Valveking and a modded HRD and he likes the Valveking alot better for cleans.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Did you try the Vox AC4. People have been raving about them, i need to get hold of one. With the attenuator you'll prolly get some decent crunch but it'll still blow your ears off. I'd go for the ministack version and a nice OD, the 12 inch speaker will have some more balls and low end.

The 5 watter champ isnt a good basis for valve amps in the price range IMO. I don't like em.

The hot rod does have pretty awesome cleans, but I can't personally justify 40 watts if your never planning on leaving the room with it much, and with PA 5 watts will in most cases suffice.

Vox Nightrain's worth a look.

Fender Blues Junior.

Egnater Rebel 20.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
+1

Traynor YCV40 or 50 would be a much better choice imo. Marshally dirt and Fendery cleans.

exactly. i haven't tried the 50- supposedly it's more marshally? But from what i can remember, the ycv40 was like an HRD with a decent overdrive channel. cleans might not be *just* as nice, but it more than makes up for it in the overdrive stakes. The fender (for its price range) has 10/10 cleans, but like 0/10 for the overdrive channels. Whereas the traynor is maybe 8 out of 10 for each. if cleans are the only concern, then get the fender, but if you need both...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?