Well I will hopefully be getting my first bass soon for christmas, and I can get both of these for around the same price, so I would like some opinions from some experienced bassists on which they think would be best. thanks
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by JAHellraiser
Well I will hopefully be getting my first bass soon for christmas, and I can get both of these for around the same price, so I would like some opinions from some experienced bassists on which they think would be best. thanks

The Squier Jazz is amazing, I had one. Shame about the plastic fretboard.

I thought the Flea bass was a bit crap to be honest, not much variety.
I'd go Squier. If its your first bass you're not really going to know what kind of player you'll end up being. The Jazz will have a much wider range of tones than the Fleabass.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
I'd go for the Squier myself--as other have said, its a better all round bass.

But this bass is for you, so my recommendation would be to try both and see which one "speaks" to you more.
I'd do as everyone else has done and recommend the jazz. I would only say buy the flea bass if you can try it first, and if you absolutely fall in love with it after playing and comparing both.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
The Flea bass is 500 bucks new. Your almost in new MIM Fender and definitely in used MIM Fender territory.

And a MIM is going to whip both of those basses, IMO.