Page 1 of 2
Ok, so I've been playing the new Kid Cudi album on constant repeat. If you don't know anything about it, (which I assume most of you don't seeing as its a hip hop album), it's a concept album talking about his back story after his dad died. So I was wondering if you guys knew of any other concept albums that were deeper, relating to the normal person more so rather than just some great, yet fictional story.
Peace is Possible.

One Thought,
One Action,
One Person at a Time.
First off, KID CUDI FTW!

Second off, try Merriweather Post Pavilion by Animal Collective, it's basically just about modern life and such.

Oh, and The Fragile by NIN (>>>> The Downward Spiral)
Last edited by crazy8rgood at Nov 19, 2009,
I like hip hop, not much into Kid Cudi though. I heard Detox is going to be a concept album. The Downward Spiral is a great concept album (Nine Inch Nails for those who don't know)
Listen to Kezia by Protest The Hero.

Amazing concept, amazing music and amazing lyrics to tell the story, to top it all off.

If you're into heavier metal check out The Faceless' "Planetary Duality" the concept is downright mindblowing.
I have yet to hear a concept album that is nonfiction.

DivinEdit: But if we're talking just about general concept albums:

Dark Side of the Moon
The Wall
Tommy
Quadrophenia
21st Century Breakdown
Metropolis Part II: Scenes from a Memory

That's all I can think of so far...
Quote by RedDeath9
Divinecrossfire...

Epic post. Wish I could say more, but I don't know much about the subconscious and other psychological stuff.
Last edited by divinecrossfire at Nov 19, 2009,
Crack the Skye. Its about a paraplygic who can astral travel and gets lost in the spirit world only to get sent into the body of Rasputin who helps him fight the devil and get the guy back to his own body before it dies. How much more realistic can you get?
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
I'm not sure but if Seventh Son of a Seventh Son is a concept album it's pretty good. I don't remember the lyrics much though.
Quote by Faded Grey
Listen to Kezia by Protest The Hero.

Amazing concept, amazing music and amazing lyrics to tell the story, to top it all off.

If you're into heavier metal check out The Faceless' "Planetary Duality" the concept is downright mindblowing.

+10000 for Kezia
Quote by MASTER768
Ummm...Dark Side of the Moon anyone? Its about life, greed, and lunacy

How could I forget? Someone shoot me
Quote by smartalec007
Crack the Skye. Its about a paraplygic who can astral travel and gets lost in the spirit world only to get sent into the body of Rasputin who helps him fight the devil and get the guy back to his own body before it dies. How much more realistic can you get?

This, if you're looking for awesome concept albums, Mastodon is your band. Their 2nd album "Leviathan" is based around Herman Melvilles epic novel "Moby Dick", and doesn't just fit the motif lyrically, but also has a watery sea sick feel to it's riffage. Thier 3rd album "Blood Mountain" is based around a traveler becoming lost in the mountains and gradually losing his mind, and along the way for his quest for a crystal skull that leads to the next step of human evolution, he encounters a psychic cyclopean big foot. The lyrics on those albums are pretty sweet, and have a quite awesome visual lyric style.

I'd love to see a book based off of Blood Mountain.
Quote by smartalec007

Listen to Blood Mountain instead TS, Crack The Skye is great but is very hard to follow IMO.

Oh and Man on the Moon was a kickass album
Conclusion of an age by sylosis is about nature prevailing over mans exploits, eventually consuming all man made things, making earth pure again.

Pretty interesting if you link it in with places like Pripyat. It in invokes some of the imagery I associate with that place. Promising band too.
Quote by smartalec007

Also with references to Brann's sister committing suicide and Brent being in a coma. You can't go wrong with Leviathan, Blood Mountain, or Crack the Skye. All are very unique and amazing.
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
I'm going to go ahead and label We Were Dead Before the Boat Even Sank as a concept album. It's super cohesive in theme and aesthetic. I feel like if I don't listen to the whole thing each time I'm not really hearing the story.

I know a lot of modest mouse fans don't like the newer albums, but that is one that everyone should check out--it's real art.

I've also been listening to Hallowed Ground by the Violent Femmes which is a pretty good word I'd stick in the concept album category, if you don't already like the femmes I'd stay away though.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Nov 19, 2009,
The Rescue by Explosions in the Sky is about the band's van breaking down. Each song on the album signifies a day they stayed in someone's attic waiting for the van to get fixed.

You never said it had to have words in it.
"Quadrophenia" changed my life

LISTEN TO THIS ALBUM!

it is THE expression of teenage anger!

"I'm wet and I'm cold
But thank God I ain't old"

EDIT:
basic plot outline:

the main guy has 4 personalities (hence, QUADRO-Phenia), musically, each personality has a theme and represents a different member of the band (singer = young and too brave; Bassist = quiet and thoughtful, Drummer = crazy-assed madman, guitarist/songwriter = hopeless romantic)

So, this guy, Jimmy, basically goes through shit for about 4 days, he gets chucked out of his house for having drugs, he looses his girlfriend, his job, and, on top of it all, he's gone insane and has four split personalities (discussed above). So he gets pissed and goes to look for his old gang where he really felt accepted. Upon finding his old gang leader, he realizes that he's sold out and become a bell boy for a hotel. He's so pissed that everything he thought was real was a lie that he runs out and attempts suicide in the ocean. It doesn't work and he's left on this rock where it begins to rain. In the rain he finally realizes that its not about "gangs" and "what you look like," its about "who you are," its about "love" (final song is "Love, Reign O'er Me" quite possibly one of the truest, most heartfelt without being sappy, and yet most bad ass song ever written)

but neways, has some absolutely fantastic songs and some of the best instrumentals I've heard (epic without being self-indulgent)
Last edited by nmitchell076 at Nov 19, 2009,
Zen Arcade by Hüsker Dü

It's about teenage angst and growing up and discovering the world, et cetera.
Quote by dullsilver_mike

I know a lot of modest mouse fans don't like the newer albums, but that is one that everyone should check out--it's real art.

I too am one the few people I know who enjoy their new stuff

Quote by fallenangel20
"Deltron 3030"- Deltron 3030 (Del tha Funkee Homosapien, if that helps your search)

It's a concept album/hip hop opera.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deltron_3030_%28album%29

'tis amazing.

HOW IN HELL DID I FORGET DELTRON?!?!?!

damn....
Both of Forgive Durden's albums: Razia's Shadow [A Musical] and Wonderland.

Both amazing, amazing pieces.
Quote by TheReverend724
HOW IN HELL DID I FORGET DELTRON?!?!?!

damn....

*pats head* It's okay.

I've just had Del on my mind a lot lately. Been listening to "I Wish My Brother George Was Here" and "Both Sides of the Brain" a good bit lately.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Bah, haven't got to listen to any Hieoroglyphics yet.

I still can't get over how amazing "I Wish My Brother George Was Here" still is. It sounds like something that came out a few year ago, and it was released in 1991. A lot of mainstream rappers could take some notes from that album.

Then again, mainstream is mostly rap, and void of much creativity. Hip hop has been going strong for years.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by loudog93
deloused in the comatorium?

De-loused is only partially non-fiction. It's mostly fiction. Frances the Mute is non-fiction, and I'm pretty sure it's about Omar's life. But it's really hard to follow.

Still kicks ass, though.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by nincompoop
Also, every Andrew W.K. album. Concept = Partying.

When did piano instrumentals about a car become about partying?
When did Japanese pop song covers become about partying?
When did a song about not calling him Andy become about partying?

GTFO.
Quote by Minkaro
First, you need to listen to Ayreon.
Second, listen to Ayreon again
Third, put aside some time to worshop Arjen Lucassen.
Finally, listen to Ayreon again.

THIS!

'The human equation' for example, is about a man who got in an accident, and is in coma for 20 days, and each day he is confronted with a choice he made in the past, and how those choices let up to the accident he was in

if you're into prog/melodeath, check out Cybion from Kalisia, it's about aliens who come to earth and bring technology which can make you immortal, and it goes from there, with a real story being told over the music, you could basically read the lyrics as a sort of story, they even made up their own language for the aliens

Also, The Odyssey from Symphony X has the song the odyssey on it, it's not an album, though it is still a song that is 24 minutes long, so it counts as half an album I think, it's about (you've guessed it) the odyssey from homer
Quote by ultimate-slash
if you're into prog/melodeath, check out Cybion from Kalisia, it's about aliens who come to earth and bring technology which can make you immortal, and it goes from there, with a real story being told over the music, you could basically read the lyrics as a sort of story, they even made up their own language for the aliens

A similar album (musically and conceptually) would be "Enemy Soil" by Frozen.

Only the aliens don't speak.

Anyway, http://www.myspace.com/frozenusa. Check out "Ghost of War."
Quote by crazy8rgood
Second off, try Merriweather Post Pavilion by Animal Collective, it's basically just about modern life and such.

I didn't realize it was a concept album. All the more reason to listen to it more
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Grand Unification by Fightstar

I think its about a man falling to sleep, dreaming of many tihngs: his loved ones, war, personal struggles, and physics theories, then waking up at the end.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Page 1 of 2