I can't play any faster than around 140bpm.. and I just started trying to play a song which is at 190bpm and its kicking my ass. I desperately need some exercises to increase my speed and accuracy. thanks.
Speed is a byproduct of accuracy. Simply practice the desired passage to perfection at a low tempo, then increase to the speed at which you are practicing it slowly until you can play it at the desired tempo.
Then you need to learn to play at 141 bpm before you worry about 190.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Economy picking, yeah that could help. I'm more of an alternate picker but I'll try to make a note to work on my economy picking as well.
just nudge the BPM once in a while, if you've been at 140 for ages, then you are either practising it wrong, or you are increasing the BPM too much. If you have to increase it by one BPM each time in order to improve, then that's what you have to do.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
get yourself a decent metronome and as said if you can only handle going up 1 bpm at a time thats what it will take but you can play faster. trying it too fast will get you disheartened and will all so give you bad habits when playing and trying to keep up so take it slow it will come.
Quote by Geldin
Speed is a byproduct of accuracy. Simply practice the desired passage to perfection at a low tempo, then increase to the speed at which you are practicing it slowly until you can play it at the desired tempo.
This
Quote by xStargazer
Practicing economy picking greatly helps too.

Not inherently. Practice is the main thing that helps, regardless of the picking style you choose.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
You know everybody can play at 190 BPM if it only requires them hitting the low E-string every ten beats or something.

You're more worried about your NPS it seems, Notes Per Second.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Not inherently. Practice is the main thing that helps, regardless of the picking style you choose.

Oh definetly, just saying economy picking is a great addition for some as well.
Quote by WishfulShredder
metronomes are not for speed training

That's the only thing I've ever seen guitarists use them for.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
That's the only thing I've ever seen guitarists use them for.

Maybe he means they're for accuracy training?

Seriously, you have to go back to playing it so freaking slow you look stupid and just make sure you hit everything perfectly. You'll improve so much faster that way. I catch myself trying to speed up too quickly and I have to just make myself play it at like 40 BPM, and after playing it like that a few times I find I can go back to the tempo I was playing at before and do it perfectly
I hate my sig
Quote by QuantumMechanix
Maybe he means they're for accuracy training?

Seriously, you have to go back to playing it so freaking slow you look stupid and just make sure you hit everything perfectly. You'll improve so much faster that way. I catch myself trying to speed up too quickly and I have to just make myself play it at like 40 BPM, and after playing it like that a few times I find I can go back to the tempo I was playing at before and do it perfectly
Good point. Keep trying to force your speed up gets counterproductive - you just ending making mistakes, which means you're effectively praciticing playing it wrong. Slow down to where you can play it accurately so your fingers learn to play it right, instead of learning the mistakes.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
If you're accurate, you can be fast

Yeah, that's the whole point. There's not really such thing as "speed training". Like the unofficial GT catch phrase says "Speed is a byproduct of accuracy"
I hate my sig
play at 141bpm until you can play it fluently then literally increase by 1 bpm and repeat. every 10 bpm or so go back down 5 and resume going up.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.