Hey guys, what is the best thrash (specifically Megadeth) guitar around for under 400?
Is an Ibanez good for thrash or just shred?
What about LTD's or even Epiphone's?
I have a Roland Cube 30x.

Preferably:

Most Importantly: NO TREM.
Not bolt-on. (or bolt-on would be OK depending on guitar)
Neck doesn't HAVE to be super fast.
Good upper fret access.
Slappa tha bass
for under 400 you're just barely touching on thrash.

my recommendations are cheap jackson or ltd. i'm doubtful that epis would work well. ibanez is great for shred, decent for thrash. but i'd go with the ltd (jackson if possible)
As shocking as it is (I have a dislike for Ibanez for the most part), I'm gonna go with an Ibanez RGA42.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by hootie37
Hey guys, what is the best thrash (specifically Megadeth) guitar around for under 400?
Is an Ibanez good for thrash or just shred?
What about LTD's or even Epiphone's?
I have a Roland Cube 30x.

Preferably:

Most Importantly: NO TREM.
Not bolt-on. (or bolt-on would be OK depending on guitar)
Neck doesn't HAVE to be super fast.
Good upper fret access.

You seemed to be mislead about a lot off things...

1. Any guitar is good for any genre ... Some give a more preferable sounds then others though ...
2. "No trem" If you worried about tuning issues.... dont be ...
3. "Not bolt-on. (or bolt-on would be OK depending on guitar)" Doesnt make sense...
4. "Neck doesn't HAVE to be super fast." IF you cant play fast that has very little to do with the guitar....
5. Unless your playing an accoustic without a cutaway then your goona have good upper fret access..
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

For under $400 you are going to have to go for a bolt on neck unless you are willing to buy used.

The cheaper Jacksons are actually decent if you can manage to swap in some nicer pickups.
Your Roland Cube 30 on the rectifier setting should be fine for thrash no matter what guitar you're using.
Quote by Tatsumaru
4. "Neck doesn't HAVE to be super fast." IF you cant play fast that has very little to do with the guitar....
5. Unless your playing an accoustic without a cutaway then your goona have good upper fret access..

Lol'd.
Quote by rlheart
Your Roland Cube 30 on the rectifier setting should be fine for thrash no matter what guitar you're using.

Yeah I know I just wanted a better guitar to do it with
Slappa tha bass
Quote by oneblackened
As shocking as it is (I have a dislike for Ibanez for the most part), I'm gonna go with an Ibanez RGA42.

What he said or the Ibanez RG321 if you want that one.
Go for a used Epiphone, its what I did and I now have a sick epiphone korina flying v 56 model
Cort or LTD make really good cheap guitars, but you won't get a set neck for that much.

If you can get a Cort EVL or VX you'll have a great guitar.

LTD have so many guitars, but the set neck/ ltd pups seems to be what your aiming at, and then at a later date switch them, despite me owning them for almost a year, they are decent.
For that money avoid BC Rich.

For the Cube, its a great little amp, under rated though. Use the R-fier setting, turn the gain up, turn the treble quarter of the way, and a little more than half past with the bass, go with whatever you want with the middle. This way, you have a decent clean channel.
Last edited by Banana Wedgie at Nov 20, 2009,
Go used.

The neckthru Kramer Stagemaster I owned, I got for $300CAD and trade in (and could have gotten for $400) at a pawn shop.

Looks for old Kramers or Westones or other things that sometimes go underappreciated.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
You could always look into Schecter, those are cheap and play VERY well
RevaM1ssP1ss
UG E-Vicar
RIP The Rev
One day Yugi will be mine

Schecter Synyster Custom
B.C. Rich KKV Signed By Kerry King
Schecter Gryphon
Ibanez RG240
POD X3 Live
Guitar Research T60R Tube
Line 6 Spider 3 150 Watt
Quote by Tatsumaru

1. Any guitar is good for any genre ... Some give a more preferable sounds then others though ...
2. "No trem" If you worried about tuning issues.... dont be ...
3. "Not bolt-on. (or bolt-on would be OK depending on guitar)" Doesnt make sense...

I would agree except for the bold sentance. I'd say "If you're not going to use the trem alot, don't get it. They can be a pain especially on a 400$ guitar which probably doesn't have a locking nut"
I hate my sig
anything by jackson or ltd should do fine. check ebay for some more high end models that could be selling for cheaper
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
I bought my shchecter hellsaiser c-1 for 425, which i use it for thrash (megadeth) and i like it a lot. So i suggest look at those and save a little more money.
My Gear:

PRS Se Custom 24
Vox Vt 30
Esp Ltd C-301 Bass
Acoustic B100 Bass Amp
Morley Power Wah Bass Pedal
Slappa tha bass