Hi i've got a mexican fender standard strat.
Im currently facing some tuning problems that when i change the tuning of a string, the tune on another string changes quite dramtically. This has resulted in changing tuning like dropping half step or so taking rather quite a long time.
I didn't change the string gauges and only switched strings from the factory supplied fender super bullets to everly b52 rockers.
I didn't had this problem before i changed the strings.
Hope someone can point out the problem here for me or is it just the strings, which i think should not have that much of an impact. Or its got to do with the synchronised tremelo?
Thanks!
It's just to do with the string tension vs. spring tension in the trem. You'll just have to tune again and again for a bit, start at the high e, then b, back to the e, b, g, back to e, and so on
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
call fender
Quote by Riffofthebeast
i just got a great idea! i think i might want to set up a blog somewhere because i have a lot of great ideas to share. would you guys read it if i did?
trolling the pit since Aug 09^
Quote by DGEdblad
call fender

That's spam. You can get warned for that...

TS, have you allowed the strings to stretch yet?
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by Koshman32
It's just to do with the string tension vs. spring tension in the trem. You'll just have to tune again and again for a bit, start at the high e, then b, back to the e, b, g, back to e, and so on

Yeah i understand its something to do with that...but like i said. this problem didnt arise before i switched strings...
Its rather a dramatic tune change.
Like when i loosen the 5th string, the tune on the 6th strings goes up.
Quote by biga29
That's spam. You can get warned for that...

TS, have you allowed the strings to stretch yet?

Yes initially i was thinking the strings havent stretched. now im sure its not due to fresh strings.
Quote by kaista
Hi i've got a mexican fender standard strat.
Im currently facing some tuning problems that when i change the tuning of a string, the tune on another string changes quite dramtically. This has resulted in changing tuning like dropping half step or so taking rather quite a long time.
I didn't change the string gauges and only switched strings from the factory supplied fender super bullets to everly b52 rockers.
I didn't had this problem before i changed the strings.
Hope someone can point out the problem here for me or is it just the strings, which i think should not have that much of an impact. Or its got to do with the synchronised tremelo?
Thanks!

Like someone else said have you stretched your strings ...
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Last edited by Tatsumaru at Nov 19, 2009,
What type of bridge is it?
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Quote by kaista
Yeah i understand its something to do with that...but like i said. this problem didnt arise before i switched strings...
Its rather a dramatic tune change.
Like when i loosen the 5th string, the tune on the 6th strings goes up.

I know with my Jackson (floating floyd, not sure if this compares to your trem) if I have to take all the strings off when I want to do some maintenance or whatever on it, when I tune up I'll have to spend a fair bit of time getting it tuned to where all the strings are in tune. And to get to that point, I have to go through the process I said earlier. But if I have the strings on the guitar for a week or so, and they're properly stretched, when I go to tune it, it doesn't through the tunings out like it does when they're brand new. It's just the fact that they're brand new strings.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by biga29
What type of bridge is it?

Vintage sychronised tremelo
Quote by kaista
Vintage sychronised tremelo

Is the bridge pulled way out of the body?
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Quote by Koshman32
I know with my Jackson (floating floyd, not sure if this compares to your trem) if I have to take all the strings off when I want to do some maintenance or whatever on it, when I tune up I'll have to spend a fair bit of time getting it tuned to where all the strings are in tune. And to get to that point, I have to go through the process I said earlier. But if I have the strings on the guitar for a week or so, and they're properly stretched, when I go to tune it, it doesn't through the tunings out like it does when they're brand new. It's just the fact that they're brand new strings.

The strings are on for a few weeks already yet the change is dramatic. And it has not happened before i changed strings. So im wondering if its something else...or is it that it just loves the fender super bullets.
It gets rather irritating to change the tuning once i set the tuning right.
Quote by biga29
Is the bridge pulled way out of the body?

How much is considered way out??
20 to 30 degrees. If that makes any sense.

If the bridge is pulled out at all, I would try tightening the springs in the back, but make sure you don't snap a string do to the excess tuning.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Last edited by biga29 at Nov 19, 2009,
Quote by biga29

If the bridge is pulled out at all, I would try tightening the springs in the back, but make sure you don't snap a string do to the excess tuning.

Wow. 20 to 30 is like in the impossible range. mines angled at about within 5 degrees.
If yiou post a pic of the trem people could tell your right away if its been setup properly or not ...
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka

Quote by biga29

The bridge should sit parallel to the body. So you'll have to tighten the springs a little, do the long painfull process of getting it tuned using the way I described, see where the bridge is sitting, and keep tweaking the spring tension till it sits parallel.

Your guitar set up right now does like the original strings. You can go from Ernie Ball 9's to D'Addario 9's, and you'll have to adjust your springs.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
I would just try to tighten the springs in the back, but remember, when you do this it will raise the tuning of the strings, so you'll have to adjust.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Thanks Koshman32 and biga29. Yeah i think the main culprit should be the bridge. Ill see what i can do about it. Thanks again =)
Quote by kaista
Thanks Koshman32 and biga29. Yeah i think the main culprit should be the bridge. Ill see what i can do about it. Thanks again =)

Just let us know if you solve the problem or if anything else comes up
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2