Page 1 of 2
sup guys i brought this to the guys in the gear & accessories forum but i thought i'd get some opinions from here. i'm looking for a good distortion pedal. i'm thinking of the big muff. any comments or suggestions? i'm using a marshall jcm 800 with a 1960A cab. looking for a discharge/d-beat, aus-rotten, toxic narcotic kind of sound. any amp settings would be helpfull to(as a starting point).
fender aerodyne jazz bass>mxr el grande bass fuzz>boss odb-3>dunlop crybaby bass wah>randall rba 500 es/ampeg 8x10
i know, i figured i'd get a quicker response this way.
fender aerodyne jazz bass>mxr el grande bass fuzz>boss odb-3>dunlop crybaby bass wah>randall rba 500 es/ampeg 8x10
Quote by drugfreeboy
sup guys i brought this to the guys in the gear & accessories forum but i thought i'd get some opinions from here.

So you're making a repeat thread?
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
in a way...yes, but aimed more towards people who'd understand what i'm looking for a little better.
Better than people who post in the punk gear thread...?
I'm the type of nigga that's built to last
If you fuck with me, I'll put my foot in your ass
See, I don't give a fuck cause I keep bailin
Yo, what the fuck are they yellin?!

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
drugfreeboy is a fucking moron.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
Quote by axeslash

I'm inclined to think the same thing.
As I read this thread, and no-one's going to suggest anything, I'm going to say a big muff or tubescreamer. or mxr distortion.
Quote by axeslash

this

/thrash
Well its true. Between this and you 1 thru 10 how punk a greenday thread I have no reason to believe otherwise. But if I did have to answer the tube screamer is one of the best pedals ever. If you can't find a sound on that good luck finding it elsewhere.
Quote by nashawa
You're my idol, so I must destroy you
i didn't post in the 1-10 greenday thread. i made my own saying how gay it is stupid ****s keep posting about greenday in the punk forum, even though it says not to.
Not to mention your claim that Ian Mackaye was a heroin user. And you've made several other dumb threads, for example the one in the Pit about Pink Floyd's "The Wall" syncing up with The Wizard of Oz.
Quote by werty22
Not to mention your claim that Ian Mackaye was a heroin user. And you've made several other dumb threads, for example the one in the Pit about Pink Floyd's "The Wall" syncing up with The Wizard of Oz.

seriously?
well someone mentioned it and i'd ask a somewhat reliable source.....well kinda reliable.....ok i must have wanted to get flamed hard then. but i'd never heard of that and was pondering the possibility. and i'm still convince ian mackaye was on the dope.
Quote by drugfreeboy
well someone mentioned it and i'd ask a somewhat reliable source.....well kinda reliable.....ok i must have wanted to get flamed hard then. but i'd never heard of that and was pondering the possibility. and i'm still convince ian mackaye was on the dope.

Yeah, he just invented straight edge for the irony/lulz.
Quote by charliezard!

I got a pretty terrible xXx stick and poke tattoo, I got it very drunk.
I'm an asshole.
That reminds me of this one time when my friends and I weren't doing any drugs, and we made a playlist consisting of the Ramones, Johnny Thunders & The Heartbreakers, The Germs, and Lou Reed songs.

We wuz rollin' in teh ir0nezz
Quote by charliezard!

i stick by he was just singing the lyrics, all they've ever said(to my knowledge) is "we we're using a straight edge for a project we were working on and someone in the band said wouldn't that be a metaphor for our lifes." that in no way mentioned all the band members were present, nor did it exclude ian, i'm just sayin you can be a homo and sing anit-homo lyrics, you can be hetero and sing anti-hetero lyrics, you can be pro war and sing songs about peace, so why is it such a stretch to think that someone singing about straight edge wasn't straight edge himself?
Because Ian Mackaye has some integrity. It's not like he's some huge rock star who will say anything to make a buck, he was in Fugazi for ****sake.
Quote by RizzoWashburn
That reminds me of this one time my friend and I got really high and made a playlist consisting of Minor Threat, Government Issue, Negative FX, and Stalag 13 songs.

We wuz rollin' in teh ir0neez

Man I wish I had friends who would appreciate the irony in that.
I don't get high, but my friends do, and I always play Fugazi or Gov't Issue when we're hanging out.

No one gets the joke
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
To be fair guys, there is a heroin needle on the Minor Threat EP cover.

It's kind of hard to see, but if you zoom in...

But of course there are dozens or hundreds of people in DC named Ian, so it wasn't necessarily his.
Good sir, I applaud you
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Quote by drugfreeboy
i stick by he was just singing the lyrics, all they've ever said(to my knowledge) is "we we're using a straight edge for a project we were working on and someone in the band said wouldn't that be a metaphor for our lifes." that in no way mentioned all the band members were present, nor did it exclude ian, i'm just sayin you can be a homo and sing anit-homo lyrics, you can be hetero and sing anti-hetero lyrics, you can be pro war and sing songs about peace, so why is it such a stretch to think that someone singing about straight edge wasn't straight edge himself?
Because the other guys in Minor Threat smoked marijuana and drank (I think; I know some did), but Ian didn't. Am I going to have to quote Our Band Could Be Your Life again?

And by your logic Ian Stuart wasn't a white supremacist; he was just singing the lyrics that he wrote.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Last edited by element4433 at Nov 23, 2009,
Ian McKay on dope? Seriously? That's the stupidest ****ing thing I've ever heard

And why would he lie about it? Have you ever heard the lyrics to the song straight edge? Yeah he said he didn't mean to start a movement but he did pen the lyrics, or did he steal em from Iggy Pop? Just curious
Quote by nashawa
Last edited by askingforit176 at Nov 23, 2009,
all i'm sayin is its a possibility. he could have penned the lyrics or the bassist could have. i don't know i wasn't there, but just because the singer is singing it doesn't mean its his opinion. thats what i'm saying.
Quote by drugfreeboy
all i'm sayin is its a possibility. he could have penned the lyrics or the bassist could have. i don't know i wasn't there, but just because the singer is singing it doesn't mean its his opinion. thats what i'm saying.

No. It isn't a possibility.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Did you ever checkout the copywrite on it? God I just wish I could describe how stupid of an idea that is. How did you ever think of it? Is there any bassis to it?
Quote by nashawa
In all fairness, all Mackaye's songs are probably just Oliva Newton John played backwards and sped up by a hundred or so percent.
I'm not joking either.

If you slow down either 'I don't want to hear it' or 'Straight Edge' (they're actually exactly the same song, all of Ian's songs are), then flip them over and compare to ONJ's1978's "Summer Lovin'" single (Lifted of course from the film Grease), you'll see what I'm talking about.

Interestingly, if you do the same with Government Issue's Sheer Terror, you'll realise that John Stabb is actually crooning the John Travolta part.
Quote by drugfreeboy
Yes. But in this case it is his opinion. You are wrong. I am 100% sure about that.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by element4433
Yes. But in this case it is his opinion. You are wrong. I am 100% sure about that.

Exactly. There's a better chance my mom does heroin than Ian Mackaye.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Page 1 of 2