well you see the question would you do it? Would you buy something like a Sadowsky, Lakland or F-Bass?
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
Honestly, realistically, probably a no on that one. Something like a good ol' no nonsense Fender would suite all my needs. The craziest thing I could see myself going for would be along the lines of a Steinberger. If I ever decide to go the boutique-ish road, and have an enormous amount of money lying around, I'll build the bass myself for half the cost of a boutique instrument
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Halakar
Would you mind defining "boutique" bass?

i though i laid out some examples Lakland, Sadowsky, F-Bass, Fodera, etc.
I shot JR

Quote by Halakar

a highly priced bass that is of the best quality, but can be considered paying for 'the name'.

if it gets the sound I want, yes.

such as Warwick!

boutique pedals are great too, GASin for a Red Witch Moon Phaser and a Wounded Paw Attack Goat.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
a highly priced bass that is of the best quality, but can be considered paying for 'the name'.

if it gets the sound I want, yes.

such as Warwick!

boutique pedals are great too, GASin for a Red Witch Moon Phaser and a Wounded Paw Attack Goat.

i don't think a warwick is a boutique bass, too mass produced and popular
I shot JR

Quote by Drmckool
i don't think a warwick is a boutique bass, too mass produced and popular

it was a boutique bass, got a little more streamlined, it could be either or, really.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by Halakar

Alembic
Zon
Wal
Drodz...ect

Stuff that cost more then most used cars....
--Gear--

5 piece blonde sparkle Gretch drum kit

-Drummers need their own forum-
Only if I started playing professionally.
If music was the food of love I'd be a fat romantic slob.
Quote by the humanity

Well most big brand basses have lower quality and we still pay for the name, even if the price is lower it is still not equal to the construction and hardware etc etc

Few small custom shops offer good stuff for a ling time without raising the price for the brand name when they get more well known.
"I would happily pay you on Tuesday for a hamburger today"

-Poldo (the guy with both hands in his pockets!)
Quote by Exterminatus
Well most big brand basses have lower quality and we still pay for the name, even if the price is lower it is still not equal to the construction and hardware etc etc

Few small custom shops offer good stuff for a ling time without raising the price for the brand name when they get more well known.

well, I'd go against arguing how worth it a big brand bass is, but at certain prices you're either paying for a classic design or a new cutting edge one, I don't think that quality is a price thing once you start hitting 1300 USD.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

I wouldnt call lakland boutique.

I would love a Shuker 5 string, i would love an Warwick custom shop, I would love a fretless alembic. It doesnt mean much.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
I wouldnt call lakland boutique.

Nor Sadowsky
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I definitely would if I had the money to safely spend on one. If I could get a Manring Hyperbass by Zon I wouldn't say no to the opportunity. Unfortunately I don't have a gently used 2006 Toyota Corolla sitting around collecting dust to buy one with. Alas, I'll just have to get some Hipshot detuners and hope for the best.
If I had enough money to burn, I'd go for a Warwick Custom Shop bass. If that doesn't qualify as "boutique" then what does?

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
Quote by Mr_Jubby_Jubs
Only if I started playing professionally.

Being professional means bugger all really.
Most of these basses cost what the average professional musician earns in a couple of years.
Just because you are professional doesn't mean you have any more money than the average tesco worker, trust me.
i kind of want a Sadowsky or fender CS right now
I shot JR

I've never seen any 'boutique' bass that I liked the looks of (I'm sure they play amazingly). They just look too weird. A Fender Jazz has all the features I need, looks great and there are some pretty amazing models.

I would get a custom bass made by somebody, but I'd only get a jazz or jaguar style bass.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Quote by ChemicalFire
Nor Sadowsky

But Sadowsky owners and half of TB would disagree,

Anyway, I would buy a CT or Rick Turner in a heart beat if I had the cash. Or an Alembic.
If I won the lotto, a hyperbass is the first thing I would buy. But other than that, probably not. I just don't have the money.
Quote by MPica
If I won the lotto, a hyperbass is the first thing I would buy.

I'd love to have a Zon Hyperbass, too. Unfortunately, I priced one once and nearly keeled over. However, I do own a top-of-the-line Carvin Icon IC6, so I suppose I did buy a boutique bass. And yes, I'd do it again.
I would buy boutique Bass since it would match my Jackson Custom Shop Warrior that i just ordered yesterday. Since it was about $4500 i would buy Myself the Warwick Custom shop bass or ESP Custom Shop bass.

It would be the same with amps.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
I'm not that into boutique basses, especially the super boutique ones ($3000+). Actually I'm not that into buying instruments in that price range, period. I only would if I were either rich or a pro who did recorded in addition to playing live, and even then I'd have a less expensive bass for live work. There's just a certain point where it becomes too expensive. Even if I could afford one, you can't justify the risk of it getting lost, broken, or stolen IMO. I think the absolute most I'd pay for a bass is $2700, and then I'd only take it to important stuff. Real shows in front of a lot of people.

That said, my next bass will probably be a Dingwall Afterburner

Quote by monkey_dancer
I've never seen any 'boutique' bass that I liked the looks of (I'm sure they play amazingly). They just look too weird. A Fender Jazz has all the features I need, looks great and there are some pretty amazing models.

I would get a custom bass made by somebody, but I'd only get a jazz or jaguar style bass.

You should check out Sadowsky and Mike Lull. Both make amazing jazz copies.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Last edited by kugelspot at Nov 23, 2009,
Well I already have gone boutique and the only thing that sucks about that is now any time I get a new bass that isn't boutique I just grow to hate it within a few weeks. My Roscoe outshines anything that isn't from some other boutique shop (and it outshines most of that such and such as well in my opinion haha). I doubt very seriously I will buy another primary bass that isn't boutique. I really have my eyes on a Pelosi next but I can't find any ANYWHERE.
Maybe if fender CS offered a seafoam green J with a flame maple neck and '62 stacked knobs...
A Mayones, custom Drozd or a Lowenherz would do me just fine for a boutique bass.

EDIT: And naturally, a Ritter Royal. Boutique basses are works of art to me, and I'd have no hesitation at buying a boutique bass just to hang up on the wall and play sparingly, as a display piece.
i would get a custom shop P-bass that was bright orange with a black pickguard (dunno why the image in my head just makes me think it would be awesome) with a badass II, and Seymour Duncan QP's and your norma P-bass style pickup.

Also the body would need to be ash, the neck maple bolt on with a rosewood fretboard with custom * inlays.

I dunno why i have this idea mainly in my head and i think it would be a custom shop order so it would really be boutique :P
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
Depends on the maker. You can get a decent custom-made bass for $2-3k if you look...that's not bad at all. Sure it's pretty expensive, but that's still within most middle-class folks' grasp.
Nope, no sig here.
You can get an amzing custom bass for less then 2K. Actually i would **** a pony for a really really really very very very very nice bass.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by Shy Guy
Maybe if fender CS offered a seafoam green J with a flame maple neck and '62 stacked knobs...

you can definitely get that, infact i've seen it oh ebay
I shot JR

If I could have a 'boutique' bass, I would get a Sadowsky, or a Low End and scratch the hell out of it by playing it.

Some of them look like your run-of-the-mill jazz basses anyway, who would chide you for it? :P
I don't know what I'm doing, but I still do it anyway...

Just for the lulz.
Quote by the humanity
... a Wounded Paw Attack Goat.

I dont know what that does, but i want it.
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master
Not in this life. I think I'll always have more important things to spend money on. I'm happy with a mass produced bass.
Quote by CephalidHunter
I dont know what that does, but i want it.

it's a fuzz pedal.

and of course you do.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard