So I've been playing for about two years now, and since I started I've only ever used solid state amps (due to low budget), but I am saving up to possibly change that sometime in the near future. I've heard many good things about tubes, and how they are so much better than SS amps? I don't know. I would like to know what exactly are the advantages of tube, and why people say they are so much better than solid states.
They have a more natural overdriven sound because they have a softer, slightly rounded off clipping than ss distortion. The cleans of a tube amp are "warmer" due to imperfections in the sound amplification.

Personally, I think some of the better ss amps sound just as good and as natural sounding as tube amps.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Nov 20, 2009,
I play primarily metalcore, hardcore and some heavy metal though, so wouldn't that be the opposite of what I would want?
Quote by Offworld92
I play primarily metalcore, hardcore and some heavy metal though, so wouldn't that be the opposite of what I would want?

Not really, by softer clipping I meant more musical and organic sounding as opposed to hard clipping(which you get in cheap ss amps) which is typically harsh and doesn't sound good. There are plenty of awesome high gain tube amps like the Marshall JCM900, Peavey 6505, Mesa Rectifiers.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!