Well, I suppose I have to do one of these eventually, right?

(disclaimer: this NPD is for fun-sies and bragging, I'll write up a proper review some other time!)

Anyway, turns out I'm a Barber fanboi and I didn't even realize it.
Just picked up these two brothers-from-a-different-mother over the week and I finally got a chance to start tinkering.

First up: Barber Direct Drive.

My quest for a low-gain OD hit a snag when my trusty big-box RAT took a dive and I needed another full-on balls-to-the-wall distortion box post-haste.
I thought maybe one of these could fill both shoes.
Well, I was wrong!
No TS tone or low-crunch to be found here!

But it turns out, this thing can cook, scream, sizzle, and practically out-rip most anything I've tried, so screw the low-gain crap, this has potential to quickly become my number one "press-here-for-f%ck-all-madness" box.
Where the RAT (and BOR, and BOM, and Fulldrive2, and DLS, and even a gen-yoo-wine Klon) would start to fizz and buzzsaw at HEAVY gain, the DD keeps things reasonable, with a creamier blend of heavy lows (courtesy of internal bass boost and presence trim-pots), a slight mid boost, and a dial for treble to taste.
Yes, I know it says TONE, but it should just say treble. It's also a push-pull pot with a "fat" boost, that brings out some extra low-mid & mid, but brings the compression over the top.
Which I don't need, because I've also picked up a:

Barber Tone Press:

Another philosophy of less-is-more.
You know what I hate?
COMPRESSORS.
They suck.
They suck life, they suck dynamics, they suck nuance, they suck feel, they suck #$%^.
Well, that's kind of what they're SUPPOSED to do.
All we ever get in return is balanced sound levels, a professional-sounding mix on the stage, good presence in any depth, and an extra plug to feed.
From lowly "country-squish" MXR Dynacomps to "ZOMG 1,000,000 knobs!" Keeleys, they're all going to take a big dynamic bite out of the snap crackle pop of your picking.
Here is what I say to you:
Blend knob.

Let me say that again: BLEND KNOB.
See how it says parallel compressor?
That means it feeds a direct clean, with overall levels set at the volume knob, as well as the compressed signal!
Why the #$%^ has it taken so long for this?
(I know, it's been around, but it's the first time I'VE had it, dammit...)
It means that the sustain knob actually does what it says!!!
Who'd a thunk it?
Pick attack, chord chops, false harmonics, palm mutes, etc. get passed through like no-one's watchin', and on the back end you get to keep the long ringing sustain that a compressor is supposed to give you.
A perfect example of best-of-both-worlds.
Finally, I think I've found an "always-on" compressor that can actually inspire some level of dynamic control!

WIN!
Nice man, I've been looking to get my hands on a compressor and I just sent out an email on CL to a guy about an old DOD comp.

HNPD!
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Me wants the compressor.

HNPD!
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
HNPD Barber rocks!!!

Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
HNPD Barber rocks!!!

There is much truth in your statement.

Booteek, that ven I can afford!

My only complaint?
Why are so many of them the same BLACK & WHITE colors?!?!?!

I'm actually looking for a Direct Drive SS just so I can get some color on the board!
Quote by Rutch
There is much truth in your statement.

Booteek, that ven I can afford!

My only complaint?
Why are so many of them the same BLACK & WHITE colors?!?!?!

I'm actually looking for a Direct Drive SS just so I can get some color on the board!

I LOVE the direct drive. one of my faves.!
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
man i gotta try something from barber sometime. How much was it? HNPD
Quote by classicrocker01
You know you're addicted to gear when you've had more guitars than girlfriends

........that would be me
Quote by Supersonic64
man i gotta try something from barber sometime. How much was it? HNPD

Do it.

Cheaper than you think, go used.
For some reason, these get passed around a lot, and there is a definite "going rate" for 2nd hand. Probably because there are like 6 different versions of this pedal, all at slightly varying gain/voicing, so everybody's gotta try them all, you know?

He also keeps his boxes cheap (somehow?!?!) and really makes the commitment to keep quality US handmade boutiquery affordable.
Those components are not skimpy, if you look close, you'll see the pots are NOR pcb mounted, those are real caps, no surface mount anything, socketed chips, etc.
HNPDs!

Parralel compression has been around for ages though. Used extensively during mixing and mastering. This is my first time seeing it in stompbox form though, very cool.
WTLTL 2011
Nice one, i got my first barber quite recently (Dirty Bomb), it was so much better than I expected (Bought it without trying). i'm deffinately going to be lookking into some more barber stuff. Maybe the tone press, althought I do like my dyna comp.
HNPsD! I find that compressor extremely interesting, because I usually can't stand them.
Ibanez JEM 555 > Line 6 POD XT Live > Behringer MS16 Monitor Speakers

"Asked us if we were happy, we said we didn't know...
Took us by the hands and up we go..."

Italians do it better.
Quote by Mark G
HNPDs!

Parralel compression has been around for ages though. Used extensively during mixing and mastering. This is my first time seeing it in stompbox form though, very cool.

Exactly, I'm not keen on lugging about a rack comp!
As I understand it, the trick is getting those dual-gang pots to taper correctly with eachother on the blend control, without affecting overall volume.
Works great!

Quote by unet
That compressor certainly sounds interesting!

How noisy is it?

Also, HAPPY NPsD

There's noise.
I've never ran into a box that didn't add SOME hiss at high compression, but this is definitely better than most I've tried.
Worst offender is probably Dynacomp, and I've played Diamond before, and while I didn't love the sound, it was certainly quiet.
Seymour Duncan has a parallel compressor now, too.
As soon as I get my hands on one, I'll do a throw-down...
Quote by Rutch

There's noise.
I've never ran into a box that didn't add SOME hiss at high compression, but this is definitely better than most I've tried.

True.

I need to check this out eventually.
HNPD!x2
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
sweet, heard good things about the barbers, but never been able to try them
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
That was one of the most excitingly written N_Ds ever!

HNGearD
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
HNPD!
Very nice, Barber stuff looks awesome.

Quote by beckyjc
Nice one, i got my first barber quite recently (Dirty Bomb), it was so much better than I expected (Bought it without trying). i'm deffinately going to be lookking into some more barber stuff. Maybe the tone press, althought I do like my dyna comp.

Where did you get yours from? Can't find a UK dealer.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey