So I've been playing for about two years now, and since I started I've only ever used solid state amps (due to low budget), but I am saving up to possibly change that sometime in the near future. I've heard many good things about tubes, and how they are so much better than SS amps? I don't know. I would like to know what exactly are the advantages of tube, and why people say they are so much better than solid states.
Continuing from the last thread:
Quote by Offworld92
I play primarily metalcore, hardcore and some heavy metal though, so wouldn't that be the opposite of what I would want?

Not really, by softer clipping I meant more musical and organic sounding as opposed to hard clipping(which you get in cheap ss amps) which is typically harsh and doesn't sound good. There are plenty of awesome high gain tube amps like the Marshall JCM900, Peavey 6505, Mesa Rectifiers.

Tube amps favor even ordered harmonics which sound favorable to the ear while ss amps can put out a lot of odd ordered harmonics which sound harsh. A lot of better ss amps don't have this problem and sound just fine.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Nov 20, 2009,
that link's bad, but peavey's amps are generally good depending on what you play
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
If I had an extra $600 laying around I would get one myself. The cleans aren't the best but as a metalhead, I'm not worried about that for myself. It's a great amp for metal with all the gain you could ever want on tap.