I Have to do a SWOT analysis for the band The Better Half for a class. I dont really know how to do this for a band though. Has anybody ever done one? Can you give me some examples of thing that would go into it?
Quote by Alex88
SWOT analysis

Cant believe i actually knew what this was.

F*CK YOU FOOD TECHNOLOGY CLASS!!
It has come to my recent attention that our good friend CoreysMonster is not permanently detained in the Fotb.

i would like to make an apology to the following people:

that is all.

I use Linux
strengths

you play music

weaknesses

you probably suck

oppertunities

recording deal just round the corner lol

threats

teacher might be pedobear?
I've never done one for a band, either, though I did do one for a startup record label. Here's a few questions to give you a start.

Strengths:

How good are the bandmembers at their chosen instrument?
What kind of stage presence to they have- are they good live?

Weaknesses:

How professional are they in how they treat venue owners, recording studio owners and even other bands?
How popular is their music style?

Opportunities:

Do they have any connections in the recording industry?
Do they have any connections in any other entertainment industry?
Is their hometown a good one in which to make connections & gig?

Threats:

Are there any similar bands out there? If yes, do they pre-date or post-date the band you're analyzing?
Does anyone in the band have a substance-abuse problem or a mental illness?
Do bandmembers have other significant comittments that might detract from the band- a job, a significant other, another band - and if so, how?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Thanks eveybody this is all helping. Whats really bad about this is that they are a small unsigned band that I have never heard of. All i know about them is whats on there myspace page. lol
I don't think a SWOT analysis would be appropriate for a band. You're probably taking some business class, so it would be better to stick to a company like Apple or Wal-Mart. SWOT analysis are mostly concerned with objective descriptions.

It's hard and highly unlikely that you'll be able to prepare one for a band.... Most of what you have to say will be too subjective.
Quote by JMack
Are you asking if midgets can draw people that are themselves smaller than the average person, or if midget drawings in general are smaller?
Yeah thats what I think to but this is actually what was assigned to me.
Never heard of a SWOT analysis for a band, it mostly applies to businesses and market analysis. You can still translate the principles into something adapted for a band, though. It would give something like this:

(Assuming it's a Metal band, because that's what I'm familiar with)

Strengths :

They're basically what gives a company (or here, the band) its competitive advantage.

- Skill of the members
- Creativity of the members
- Connections to the music industry
- "Brand" image (Nile and its Egyptian mythology background, for example)
- Stability of its lineup
- Strong stage presence when playing live

Weaknesses :

What can possibly threaten your band's success, composition and image.

- Lack of skill and creativity
- Disagreements between band members
- Bad image due to poor live performances
- No support from a decent label
- Lack of focus on a definite style

Opportunities :

They're opportunities to exploit on your "market", that give you chances of being successful

- Popularity of the musical genre (Metal being a bit more popular now than before, for ex.)
- Similar to the above statement, the current level of "demand" for this kind of music
- The emergence of the Internet as a cheap way to quickly gain a large audience
- The previous success of bands with the same style
- Media coverage of this style, like a Metal band receiving a Grammy Award recently
- The social environment, which can favor certain styles of hard, aggressive music

Threats :

They're threats on the "market" that could possibly hinder your future success

- Illegal downloading that can lower income from album sales
- Legal procedures and censorship of extreme music (if you play Death Metal for ex.)
- The economical crisis (yeah, it's a factor too)
- The increasing popularity of other genres of music than your band's
- The popularity of other cultural material such as books, movies, video games

There you go, but it's kinda awkward, even considering I've been doing SWOT analysis for the past four years.
---

"L'esclave parfait est celui qui croit être libre."

---
Last edited by Astyan at Nov 20, 2009,
Pick up and read your business textbook and think for yourself.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Quote by Sir-Shredalot
strengths

you play music

weaknesses

you probably suck

oppertunities

recording deal just round the corner lol

threats

teacher might be pedobear?

This is the SWOT analysis format. Pretty simple. Good luck with it.
Quote by Alex88
I Have to do a SWOT analysis for the band The Better Half for a class. I dont really know how to do this for a band though. Has anybody ever done one? Can you give me some examples of thing that would go into it?

Just apply the same rules as you would for doing a SWOT analysis for a business.

Sit down, and list out all the bands Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats. Then pick two from each category and use them in your answer. When answering, be clear and concise. State your point and explain it. Don't write a novel on each piece. And where applicable, do try and use a quote or an example. It shows understanding of the subject content.
Do PEST, Fishbone and all while youre at it

But seriously, go to their wiki and do a SWOT from that.

Unless its a very important assignment and youre in Uni or something, then find a credible source.