I have an EMG 89 in my LP jr. and i have it coil split. Im playing thru a randall 120 amp with a matching 4x12. i have the gain on the distortion channel up around 7.5 and ive noticed that when i have my tone knob all the way up i get a considerable amount of feedback but only when i am turned a certain direction. Recently we moved from one building on our other guitarists property to another. in the old building when i was at a 90 degree angle from my amp it made the feedback. now that weve moved to the new building the amp is facing north (it used to be facing east, so when i faced north is when it made the feedback) now when i face north (same direction as the amp) i get the feedback.

SO....this means that even tho the amp is now facing a different direction, i get feedback when i face North. BUT only when my tone knob is past about 4. ALSO when the tone is all the way up. i can my face up to the pickup and talk and it comes out of the amp.....

so far ive just been dealing with it and leaving my tone knob at about 2 as i play rhythm and it suits my tone somewhat. However lately ive been playing alot of harmony parts and wish i could turn my tone knob up...any ideas as to what the problem might be? i would post a pic of the wiring but that would be of no use since the cavity is so jam packed because we didnt cut any wires to length when we hooked them up, we left them factory length :P so the cavity looks a big jumbled mess and you wouldnt be able to see shit from it.
Douglas Spad with EMG 81x's
Epiphone LP jr. with EMG 89 split coil, alot of upgrades
Rig:
Power conditioner, Hush, ART Quadra/FX Reverb (all 3 in a rack), Peavey XXX, 2 Mesa 4x12 cabs.
really? ive had the thing for about 6 months will EMG/Musicians Friend still give me a new one?
Rig:
Power conditioner, Hush, ART Quadra/FX Reverb (all 3 in a rack), Peavey XXX, 2 Mesa 4x12 cabs.
You do realize what causes feedback?

Feedback is caused by the signal, which goes from your guitar, to the amp. Your pickups pick up the sound created by the guitar, making an infinity loop.
Infinity loops, mean the sound will keep going around in a circle(or signal chain), untill it becomes too fast, or something of the like, and then causes feedback.

High Gain levels, and volumes cause this the most.
For whatever reason, when you turn up the gain, your guitar is more prone to feedback. I don't notice any increase in volume. This is one of those mysteries better left unsolved.

On a side note:
Coincidentally, as I was reading your sig, to the left of me, I have a GP mag, which is opened, and I was reading it. Guess what I was reading about... The B-52 LS-100. the very same one, you have propsed you wanted.
They seem like a nice amp. Almost makes me want to get one(only the head, cabs are fairly easy/inexpensive to build).
..I was watching my death.
haha yes i would really like the B-52 ls100. its cheap and has great reviews.

Also yes i realize thats what causes feedback, but i have the strings muted and im getting this feedback. and its only when i turn a certain direction. the strings are not vibrating.
Rig:
Feedback or hum/buzz?
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by sk8freakrt
i can my face up to the pickup and talk and it comes out of the amp.....

sounds like something has gone bad guys...
Quote by prodcake
sounds like something has gone bad guys...

ehh noooooo

Speaking into pickups is common practice and is more than doable with a loud amp and high output pickups.

Listen to Get Out Of My Yard by Paul Gilbert, right at the end he screams the song title into the pickups
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
really? well thats slightly comforting. and no its def not hum. its feedback. i wouldnt describe it at a high pitched squeal but its like a constant WOOOOOOOOOOOO of sorts. I hadnt thought of it til now but could it be my gain is too high? i thought 7 wasnt THAT high but since they are EMGs, being higher output and having more natural gain (?) than most others, might that be my problem?
Rig:
Gain hore!

Turn the Gain down, and check your channel volume.

You don't happen to have a Feedback/Distortion pedal do you?
..I was watching my death.
If you can talk into it and it comes out of the amp that means your pickup is microphonic and not potted properly. So your probably going to need a new pickup because I have no clue how you would re pot an EMG pickup since they're potted in epoxy.
nope, no pedals involved straight from guitar output to amp input. im pretty sure channel volume is at like 9 lol! could that be it? i usually have gain at 7, channel vol at 9 and master at about 4 or 5 when we're playin as a band. i play in a metalcore type of band and i love the tone i get, just cant stand the feedback.

So you guys think i should toy with my settings on the amp before deciding its the pup? Band practice is tomorrow so when i go out there ill mess with it and see what happens. I just realized this may be in the wrong section...but GB&C is the only UG forum i browse lol! you guys are the smart ones of the bunch so i always come here.

EDIT:
see thats what i thought about the speaking into the pickup thing! But some people seem to think otherwise with it being high output and high volume.
Rig:
Quote by prodcake
faulty pickup brah, get a replacement

Wrong.

Quote by timbit2006
You do realize what causes feedback?

Feedback is caused by the signal, which goes from your guitar, to the amp. Your pickups pick up the sound created by the guitar, making an infinity loop.
Infinity loops, mean the sound will keep going around in a circle(or signal chain), untill it becomes too fast, or something of the like, and then causes feedback.

Feedback is what happens when the signal is amplified an infinite number of times. The initial movement of electrons is the speed of light. Then it immediately slows to 1 inch an hour. So it's definitely not going "too fast".

Quote by timbit2006
High Gain levels, and volumes cause this the most.
For whatever reason, when you turn up the gain, your guitar is more prone to feedback. I don't notice any increase in volume. This is one of those mysteries better left unsolved.

It happens because the speakers are too close to the guitar. High sound pressure levels **** with the strings and cause harmonics to come through. I can't easily explain it, suffice it to say that it has alot to do with string nodes.

Quote by timbit2006
On a side note:
Coincidentally, as I was reading your sig, to the left of me, I have a GP mag, which is opened, and I was reading it. Guess what I was reading about... The B-52 LS-100. the very same one, you have propsed you wanted.
They seem like a nice amp. Almost makes me want to get one(only the head, cabs are fairly easy/inexpensive to build).

Take it to the PM box, man. Seriously. You need to work on this.

TS: either turn down the gain or stand farther away from the amp.
What about a noisegate pedal or something of the sort? That could solve the problem, right?
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
problem solved. come to find out my gain was at 9....LOL

i turned it down to 7 and channel volume to 8 and i can crank the tone knob to 10 and get no feedback. thanks guys
Rig: