go on the ibanez website and look at RGs

S's have 22 frets and at 1000 pounds they both have good trems, no sharktooth on S's either.
RG1570 or RG1550M. They're Prestiges and better than the other Ibanezes in that price range.
RG2550MZ

/thread
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
The bottom line is the S has 22 frets unless you get the Herman Li signature. Also no sharktooth inlays. Both sound and play fine for metal.
I just realized that you're in NZ, that changes things a bit since I don't know which Ibanezes are in your pricerange.
1000 new zealand dollars? you gotta tell us these things, the trem on the RGs in your price range aint great, stick with the S's.
Didn't even notice that it was in NZD. Get an S. The ZR trems are superior to the Edge III. Neither guitar really eeks out much of a lead over the other in any regard except for trems.

If you can go used I'd suggest an older MIJ RG with an Edge or a lo-pro Edge.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Older Ss with wizard necks come in 24 fret models with sharkfin inlays.
Quote by sheaaa
Older Ss with wizard necks come in 24 fret models with sharkfin inlays.
You're half right. 540's were available with fins but they still had 22 frets. If you want a 24 fret S you'll either have to get an '09 Prestige S or an Egen18.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Prestige just means Made In Japan?
The difference is (in general, iirc there are exceptions) that an S has a slimline mahogany body wheras the RG has a thicker basswood body. (look up on tonewoods for descriptions)

Sharkfins and 24 frets at that price will have to be an RG really.
$1000 is roughly £800 i think so that guy that said RG2550 is bang on with what he said.
Why an Ibanez? For that price you could get a really good ESP or Jackson, whereas you get a decent Ibanez with decent pickups!

Ah well, if it was me, I'd buy the S series, but you won't want that, because it doesn't have sharktooth inlays nor 24 frets.
You should look into RGT's they have a mahogonay body like an S series but obviously not as thin but also some have shark tooth inlays.
Oh sorry im meaning $1000 US, my good mates dad owns a string of shops that import Ibanez, Peavy and Shecter.
So i can get the best value from these brands seeing as i pretty much get 1/2 price RRP.

THanks for help everyone.
Last edited by KTHXBAI at Nov 20, 2009,
The new (relatively) SV5470 is the only S-body with a 24 fret neck. The nice thing about the S-Body is the lighter weight for those who have their axe on their shoulder many hours in the day - hehehe. Also I would add the SV5470 has a new trem system SynchroniZR that does float but has an adjustable zero point return tension that allows for combination of the advantages of Floyd and vintage trems. Also allows for stability without the locking nut and incorporates the auto-trim locking tuners.

There's also a 24 fret Prestige model with the ZR (Zero Return) trem for slightly less. Don't think there a big change from the ZR to the SynchroniZR.

As for the RG, if you want a floyd then that's the way to go. If you are looking for the more all-around trem then the Prestige or SV is worth a look.
Main Rig:Yami Pac1412 TransRed (EVO, HS2, Hot Rails) ->Bad Horsie->GNX3K ->MagicStomp->L/R PA
Ampeg VL503, Ampeg V4, Digitech GNX2, Art SGX2K; AXES: Yam Pac1412 RedBurst & Weddington Custom & CPX-15W, '63 Gibson SG Custom & '80 ES-350T
Quote by spkay
The new (relatively) SV5470 is the only S-body with a 24 fret neck. The nice thing about the S-Body is the lighter weight for those who have their axe on their shoulder many hours in the day - hehehe. Also I would add the SV5470 has a new trem system SynchroniZR that does float but has an adjustable zero point return tension that allows for combination of the advantages of Floyd and vintage trems. Also allows for stability without the locking nut and incorporates the auto-trim locking tuners.

There's also a 24 fret Prestige model with the ZR (Zero Return) trem for slightly less. Don't think there a big change from the ZR to the SynchroniZR.

As for the RG, if you want a floyd then that's the way to go. If you are looking for the more all-around trem then the Prestige or SV is worth a look.

The SV5470 is actually cheaper than the S5470. They both use the same neck. The big difference is the bridge. The SynchroniZR is a vintage-type trem and the ZRII is a double locking trem. Either way, both are out of his pricerange.
Quote by Bigsteve92
Prestige just means Made In Japan?
Prestige guitars are now the only MIJ Ibanez guitars you can buy, but that's not Prestige is supposed to be about. Having "Prestige" on the headstock of an Ibanez is supposed to let you know that the neck has undergone some extra finishing steps and is of the very highest quality.
Quote by Marty Friedman