So I've been working at the same place under the same boss for 2 years now, and I am just starting my 3rd year.

I stopped working there for a while, and recently got re-hired, and I'm now working every day of the week (except sunday), at night.

However, I am in high school, and want to go to college in the field of engineering (ie I need good grades). Ever since I've gotten this job, I have absolutely no time for homework/studying, and my GPA has spiraled downward. I also have no free time to go out with friends, and it would be impossible to have a social life with these hours, along with school.

I really cannot work this job, but I know that my employer needs me to work. I have already established with myself that schoolwork comes before work, and I just can't do the job.

I want some advice on how to approach my boss, and tell him that I want to quit. He is a good family friend, and is getting married on Sunday. I want to quit my job without creating "bad blood" between us, and I don't want to make it hard on him.

Should I just tell him straight up that I want out, should I explain to him about why I can't work for him anymore, or should I follow a different approach?
Find your own replacement first. Then you can be like "I'm going now, but here's an 18-year old cheerleader to take my place"

Obviously he'll be sad to see you go but... oh they've gone.
You: Hi can I have a word with you boss?
Boss: Sure what's up?
You: Well, I'm kind of getting more schoolwork than I used to. So I was wondering if you'd mind giving me a reduction of hours because I don't really want to finish or if you'd mind giving me a bit more flexibility within my contract?
(If he says yes. Negotiate hours)
(If he says no. Say: I'm very sorry then but this will have to be my 2/4weeks notice. Thank you etc etc)
My Gear:

Washburn 6 String Bantam Series

Fender Mexican P-Bass

Farida Stratocaster

Peavey TNT115S
If he is a proper "family friend" than telling him straight up is how it should be. Hell, under any circumstance you should tell the person straight up. Most employers should actually try to work with you and your school schedule. I assume you're still in high school, how much are you actually working a week? There are child labor laws still in existance.
Check out Hear the Indie for music reviews, interviews, and more.

Want a review? Send me a PM or email through the contact form on my site.
Quote by matt169
You: Well, I'm kind of getting more schoolwork than I used to. So I was wondering if you'd mind giving me a reduction of hours because I don't really want to finish or if you'd mind giving me a bit more flexibility within my contract?
(If he says no. Say: I'm very sorry then but this will have to be my 2/4weeks notice. Thank you etc etc)

This
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Quote by matt169

that's pretty much it bro, easiest way to do it.
Quote by The Kreator
should I explain to him about why I can't work for him anymore?

yes.

the only other thing I could suggest is to try to work out a compromise. If he really needs you, see if you can work less hours until he finds a replacement. Maybe see if one of your friends wants a job and ask about maybe splitting your hours between you.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Ulalume
If he is a proper "family friend" than telling him straight up is how it should be. Hell, under any circumstance you should tell the person straight up. Most employers should actually try to work with you and your school schedule. I assume you're still in high school, how much are you actually working a week? There are child labor laws still in existance.

I am working from 5 until 9, and I head to work right after school. It takes me about 30 minutes to drive home afterward, and then I have to take a shower. I usually go to bed around 10, because I have to get up for school at around 6AM.

I can't really ask for a re-negotiation of hours, because he needs me every day of the week, and it would be pointless to work for 2 hours a night.
Ok, so I actually know a friend who wanted to work at the same place, but the guy couldn't afford to hire him. He could probably replace me, so I'll talk to my boss about him.

Making pizzas doesn't require too much talent.
How about speak to your boss and get your hours shortened..?
E.g get someone else in?

Infact get someone who would like some work who you know and take them with you that way there is someone ready to help/work.

Just make sure there not better then you!

Knowledge is knowing a Tomato is a Fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a Fruit Salad.
I'm in the opposite dillema. I might need to quick cos where I work can't even afford to hire me every other weekend. I want a job that I can actually do haha
Don't ask for less hours, ask for less days that you work.

Just say "This is the situation....." and if he doesn't take it, then just say "Im sorry, but im no longer willing to seek employment here"

chances are, if you are a good worker, he will want to keep you on, even if it's only for a couple of days a week
1. '**** your job!'

Pretty much it.
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
Quote by The Kreator
So I've been working at the same place under the same boss for 2 years now, and I am just starting my 3rd year.

I stopped working there for a while, and recently got re-hired, and I'm now working every day of the week (except sunday), at night.

However, I am in high school, and want to go to college in the field of engineering (ie I need good grades). Ever since I've gotten this job, I have absolutely no time for homework/studying, and my GPA has spiraled downward. I also have no free time to go out with friends, and it would be impossible to have a social life with these hours, along with school.

I really cannot work this job, but I know that my employer needs me to work. I have already established with myself that schoolwork comes before work, and I just can't do the job.

I want some advice on how to approach my boss, and tell him that I want to quit. He is a good family friend, and is getting married on Sunday. I want to quit my job without creating "bad blood" between us, and I don't want to make it hard on him.

Should I just tell him straight up that I want out, should I explain to him about why I can't work for him anymore, or should I follow a different approach?

Explain to your parents that this job is seriously affecting your schoolwork... wait for them to tell you to give up the job, then quit your job and tell your boss 'Sorry, but the decision is out of my hands.'
Quote by The Kreator

He'll probably be going to his bachelor party on Saturday.
While he's doing that, bang his fiance.
Tell him about it on Sunday, after the ceremony.
That way, when you quit your job on Monday, it won't seem so bad.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Honestly, just quit, there's nothing he can do to stop you. But if you want to help him you could at least try to help him find a replacement for you.
[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3760/356h356h365pc1.png[/img]
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.
just give him your notice, if he's an employer he's not going to see it as a big thing.
if you've worked with him for 2 years and you're a family friend then he should understand if you just give him a 2 weeks notice and explain to him that you need to concentrate on your studies
Quote by matt169

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Walk into your bosses office and sit down in front of his desk... Don't say anything but take a deep breath and find the picture of his family on his desk. Say, "Is that your wife?" When he replies 'yes' say, "She looks like a great fuck."
I remember quitting my first job.
Put a sticky a note on the inside of the broom closet saying:

"I quit
Love,
Bomba"

Not the best call.
...so...am I suppose to like be funny or what?
Whatever you do, make sure you leave on a good note. You will be wanting his reference if you want another job, OR you could get rehired by him.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
simple, tell him the truth. School comes first and the job is interfering. Ask if you could talk to him in private. Maybe towords the end of the shift, or the end of his shift. Any employer will understand that school comes first. If he offers you part time or reduced hours don't take it. Before you know it, you will be back at 30-40 hrs a week and have the same problems in school.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky DK2L
Epiphone LP Standard
Yamaha Acoustic
Bugera 1990 w/ Peavey 2x12 cab