I've been thinking about buying a Blackstar HT-5 (5 watt tube head) for some home recording and practicing. Will a 1x12 cab sound a lot better than the combo with the stock 10" speaker? Alternatively, how much better would a 2x12 sound (especially the bass response, since i'll be playing some metal with the blackstar too) versus the combo or the 1x12? I probably won't be gigging with the cab, but i still MIGHT some day in the future. Also, which cabs work for which amps? Like, does a 1x12 or a 2x12 work for a 100/120 watt head? Thanks for your answers.
Last edited by Pingis_Or_Death at Nov 20, 2009,
Quote by Pingis_Or_Death
1. Will a 1x12 cab sound a lot better than the combo with the stock 10" speaker?

2. Alternatively, how much better would a 2x12 sound (especially the bass response, since i'll be playing some metal with the blackstar too) versus the combo or the 1x12?

3.Also, which cabs work for which amps? Like, does a 1x12 or a 2x12 work for a 100/120 watt head?

1. Yes, 12 inch speakers are much more full, especially for heavy stuff.
2. Again a 2x12 will sound much more full, especially for heavy stuff.
3. As long as the wattage of the lowest speaker in the cab multiplied by the number of speakers is more than the head you are OK.

I would really suggest you get a nice 2x12. It will make a huge difference in sound for that amp, and then down the road you will have a top notch cab for any head you may buy.

Edit: However, I should point out that a GOOD 1x12 will have pretty good bass response and sound damn good. If you are trying to keep the costs and size low I'd just go for a 1x12... But ideally I think you should get a 2x12.

Another Edit: Don't consider volume in this decision. As I said bigger/more speakers will sound more full, but not really louder per se.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Nov 20, 2009,
Quote by tubetime86
1. Yes, 12 inch speakers are much more full, especially for heavy stuff.
2. Again a 2x12 will sound much more full, especially for heavy stuff.
3. As long as the wattage of the lowest speaker in the cab multiplied by the number of speakers is more than the head you are OK.

I would really suggest you get a nice 2x12. It will make a huge difference in sound for that amp, and then down the road you will have a top notch cab for any head you may buy.

The lowest speaker in the cab? What do you mean? Do you mean like two 60 watt speakers equal 120 watts, and that can drive a 100 watt head? Also what's this thing with ohms? Anything i should care about?
I'll probably end up getting a 2x12 though, since I've been looking at a harley benton 2x12 cab loaded with celestion V30s for just 198 €, and that seems like a really good deal.
Last edited by Pingis_Or_Death at Nov 20, 2009,
Quote by Pingis_Or_Death
The lowest speaker in the cab? What do you mean? Do you mean like two 60 watt speakers equal 120 watts, and that can drive a 100 watt head? Also what's this thing with ohms? Anything i should care about?
I'll probably end up getting a 2x12 though, since I've been looking at a harley benton 2x12 cab loaded with celestion V30s for just 198 €, and that seems like a really good deal.

Ya, I only said that because when you mismatch speakers you have to keep that in mind. So, yes two 60 watt speakers can handle up to 120 watts, but a 30 watt and a 60 watt speaker can only handle 60, because the 30 watt could blow while the 60 watt is still fine... Make sense?

About ohms; match them. Don't listen to anyone who says any different. Of course you can in some instances get away with it, but its not worth risking good gear.

I've heard the HBs are great, at a great price. I have an Avatar 2x12 with V30s and love it, great speakers, especially for what you said you want to play. I'm not sure how that converts to dollars but if its any less than $400 that is a great deal.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by WtrPlyr
^it's about $300.

Thanks, I'm lazy. Great deal then. Assuming the construction quality is as good as I've heard Harley Bentons are...
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!