Find a tech near you, they should definately do it. They will probably charge a flat bench fee and then an hourly fee.
Huurrrmm...

That's a great price for an great amp.

BUT:

IF all it needs is new caps, then groovy, get it, a cap job would run you about $150 around here. No biggie.

But, um, why hasn't he done it?
How does he know it's the caps?
What's actually wrong with how it sounds/plays?
Quote by Rutch
But, um, why hasn't he done it?
How does he know it's the caps?
What's actually wrong with how it sounds/plays?

Excellent questions. I think an email to this guy is in order.
Quote by shiner_man
I'm thinking about getting this Twin Reverb off of craiglist for $500:

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/msg/1473272603.html

It says it "needs capacitors". Does anybody know approximately how much it would cost to get capacitors put in?

Anywhere from $100-$500 depending on what they find when they get in there. Its kind of like taking your car to a dealership, they will want to do more than you ask them to and it will probably need it anyway. Find a good tech and get a good estimate. I paid $420 to get my old Bassman back to specs, but its now 100% factory specs. Also his estimate for me was $409 before seeing the amp, so he stayed pretty damn true to his word. I would expect the same from whoever you use.

That said $500 is pretty reasonable, but I might try to talk him to $400. The good thing is with a 1971 its pretty likely that this is closer to a blackface than silverface. 1971 was one of the 'in between' years where Fender was just kind of throwing things into chassis whether they were spec or not, so who knows what's in there.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
You'll have to email the guy back about what exactly is wrong. "Needs caps" could mean a lot of things. The most likely is that the filter caps just haven't been replaced yet, which is no big deal, probably $1-200 to replace.
If there's something wrong with the coupling caps and the filter caps haven't been looked at, then things start to get expensive quickly.
If it just needs filter caps, I'd say offer him $400, maybe get it for $450, then you're in under $600 after the work is done, which is a decent deal on that amp. You could also have the amp blackfaced when it was in for cap work, it will cost a bit more but you might as well get it all done at once.
Quote by Roc8995
You'll have to email the guy back about what exactly is wrong. "Needs caps" could mean a lot of things. The most likely is that the filter caps just haven't been replaced yet, which is no big deal, probably $1-200 to replace.
If there's something wrong with the coupling caps and the filter caps haven't been looked at, then things start to get expensive quickly.
If it just needs filter caps, I'd say offer him $400, maybe get it for $450, then you're in under $600 after the work is done, which is a decent deal on that amp. You could also have the amp blackfaced when it was in for cap work, it will cost a bit more but you might as well get it all done at once.

I'm not exactly sure what "blackfaced" means.
Ha, sorry.
Fender amps come in all sorts of different "flavors" - tweed, blonde, brownface, blackface, and silverface. The silverface ones (that's the one you're looking at) are the cheapest of the bunch, and are often converted to blackface specs because people often prefer the blackface sound. It's up to you if you want to do it, I just mentioned it because it's a very common thing to do with silverface amps.
As I said, that amp is probably closer to blackface specs than later models of that amp, so it could be a very easy mod.

Just a little indicator that may interest you TS -

Silverface Twin Reverbs are probably worth around what you're gonna pay here, maybe more if they've been serviced, so let's say $700.

Blackface Twin Reverbs in good condition, and properly serviced can go for as high as $2000, though usually more like $1400.

So basically blackface amps are usually around double the value of their silverface counterparts. A 'blackfaced' silverface is gonna be somewhere in the middle, but as I said there's a chance you open up that Twin and find a blackface circuit in a silverface chassis. Which would make that a STEAL!
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
As a proud owner of a '73, I can tell you what the ad won't.

First and foremost, Twin Reverbs are the kings of clean tone. Versatile with pedals too, but don't expect to it to break up even on the Master volume models. Head room for days.

They are ****ing loud. The sweet spot is around 5, and I suggest you stand behind it when you play. Or invest in an attenuator or earplugs. Or both.

They weigh 65 to 75 lbs depending on the year, and speakers. So that makes them a beast to move around. Not recommended for active musicians with stairs. At least they have wheels though so they're easy to move on flat surfaces.

When I bought mine almost a year ago, I took it to a trusted amp tech. He gushed over it, and seemed genuinely excited to work on it. He went through it, rewired part of it, replaced a lot of part including the caps, set the bias, and "blackfaced" it for me for around $200 without new tubes.

That brings me to the Tubes. There is a LOT of glass in the back. Four 6l6's, four 12AX7s, two 12AT7s. You can plan on spending around $150 for a set of decent tubes.

All in all, well worth it to me. But everyone is going to be looking for different things in an amp. Let me know if you have any questions.
"There is only one thing more beautiful than one guitar - Two guitars" Frederic Chopin