I'm looking for a new head to replace the TT. Here are the specs I want:

Effects loop
Enough wattage to play clean in a jam session (20W?) but max 60W
The cheaper the better, very willing to go used

What the amp is voiced for (ie metal, blues, etc.) isn't important to me at this point, just want suggestions so I can look out for them.

What amps I've seen so far with these specs:

Crate V33
Krank Rev Jr/Pro
Bugera V55
Egnator Rebel 20/30

Anything I'm missing?
You could also look at a modded Blackheart Handsome Devil as well as a Hayden Mofo.

A Marshall Haze combo would also work... but I think its a little too much of a waste of time.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Nov 20, 2009,
Bugera~ are cheap. some sound pretty good. i played on the v55 the other day, it was pretty decent. But not too sure if its good for metal, but it might work with pedals, but hey i dont know.
Quote by Bashkar
Bugera~ are cheap. some sound pretty good. i played on the v55 the other day, it was pretty decent. But not too sure if its good for metal, but it might work with pedals, but hey i dont know.

+1

Peavey Classic as well
Quote by ragingkitty
You could also look at a modded Blackheart Handsome Devil as well as a Hayden Mofo.

A Marshall Haze combo would also work... but I think its a little too much of a waste of time.

15W seems low, but I'll give it a shot when my brother comes home.

I guess a Haze is an option, but for that much I'd rather get a Rebel 20.

Any idea how to get a Mofo stateside?

Quote by eyebanez333
+1

Peavey Classic as well

Didn't know the Classics came in heads, thanks.
Quote by disk11

Yep. I believe the 50 and 100 come in head versions as well. You can get the 30 for around $300 if you buy it used. It can do metal with a good enough boost/OD or distortion pedal. Most of the amps that you're going to be looking at, with the exception of the Krank, will need a boost or distortion pedal to get metal. But the Krank is definitely in last place when it comes to blues.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Nov 20, 2009,
Just to chime in about the Krank... it has the effects loop you want, and won't necessarily break the bank used, but the 20W version may not have the headroom you're looking for. In a loud enough situation your cleans probably won't be acceptable.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
I just got a Peavey VTM60 for dirt cheap. JCM800 copy with all the mods accessibly in the front, an effects loop, and much better cleans than a JCM800.
Healthy amount of gain, and from the time I've used it (just got it yesterday) I was able to get great cleans, Plexi-ish sounds, to AC/DC, to Guns N Roses, to early Metallica.
It's a single channel amp, so get used to using your guitar's volume control.
Quote by disk11
15W seems low, but I'll give it a shot when my brother comes home.

I guess a Haze is an option, but for that much I'd rather get a Rebel 20.

Any idea how to get a Mofo stateside?

Hmmm Mofo... stateside.. I think there was site that had them, you'll have to check with other UGers... I can't recall which it is right now.

Quote by eyebanez333
But the Krank is definitely in last place when it comes to blues.

That's a downright dirty lie.

The Krank is pretty much last place in anything except metal

The cleans are acceptable... but if you're looking for variety and versatility, its not exactly the amp to go for. However, if you're looking for variety and versatility within the metal genre (NWOBHW to sludge to thrash to death to melodeath etc etc), you really can't do any better than the Krank for low wattage amps.

The distortion channel really only shines for metal. Though an OCD adds sparkle to the amp... you can't really teach an old dog too many new tricks.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Nov 20, 2009,
Quote by ragingkitty

That's a downright dirty lie.

The Krank is pretty much last place in anything except metal

The Hayden is probably not an option. It's over $700 US before shipping and (I would guess) steep import taxes. I did shoot them an email to see if they had a dealer over here.

The Krank is probably a bad choice unless I get a unbelievable deal on it. But I forgot they had a 50W one in the "toaster" chassis, but it would also have to be a good deal.
I don't know if you liked your TT or not, but if you did, maybe check out the Dual Terror.