Hey guys, I have a good friend (Epic Vixen [She may be posting a thread/hopefully posting in here soon]) wants to learn to play bass. I told her that I would try to help as much as I could with the basics, things like slapping, finger picking, some theory, etc, but I can only get her that far, seeing as how I'm a geetar player.

Now, the part that I need help on is getting her some good starter gear. The budget isn't TOO much, maybe $300 max, and we're hoping to get a good bass and amp. She will most likely be playing different varieties of Hard Rock and metal, and she will be playing in her bedroom, so preferably not an amp that will make her parents mad.

So, throw some suggestions at me! (Also, if you need to know anything else, just let me/her know, and we'll tell what you need to know)

EDIT: She'll most likely want to go new
Last edited by SMB13 at Nov 20, 2009,
How 'bout a jumpstart kit, like the Cort/Ibanez/Squier ones? They are a good starting point imo, since everything you really need is already in the kit.
Quote by nesveikuolis
How 'bout a jumpstart kit, like the Cort/Ibanez/Squier ones? They are a good starting point imo, since everything you really need is already in the kit.

Eh... I've heard some not so good things about starter kits
Ibanez starter kit, very nice.

If not, go used, you'll be surprised at what you can get for your money.

Easy.
Quote by bodyheatseeker
That is simultaneously brilliant and obscene. I honestly don't know if I despise, or admire you.

Quote by Scutchington
If I had room, I would sig that entire post.

basschat.co.uk