So I'm going to Pennsylvania next week (a 5 hour drive) and my friend wants me to bring my amp cause he wants to jam with a drummer but his amp is a 30 watt SS.

The vehicle were taking is a pickup truck and the only place I could put it is in the bed of the truck. My dad said we could strap in down and put a tarp over it or something but in still very hesitant. How would you guys go about this?
I hate my sig
Remove the power tubes and maybe the preamp tubes, but it in a box covered in blankets. Put the tubes in the truck with you so they don't get cold.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Put it in your lap!

Ok, if not, be sure to lay it on a couch cushion.
If it's a combo amp, put it in a corner on a cushion, and surround it on all sides by cushions, then strap her in. Like a couch cushion fort!

Note: a tarp might keep out a few random sprinkles, but if it actually rains, forget about it...
Quote by Rutch
Put it in your lap!

Ok, if not, be sure to lay it on a couch cushion.
If it's a combo amp, put it in a corner on a cushion, and surround it on all sides by cushions, then strap her in. Like a couch cushion fort!

Note: a tarp might keep out a few random sprinkles, but if it actually rains, forget about it...

Much too big to put on my lap. It's a 2x12 combo amp. It has 4 tubes so I'm guessing 2 are preamp and 2 are poweramp? I usually don't like messing with tubes and stuff, I'm always afraid I'll break something. The cushion idea sounds like it might work and I guess I'll just pray it doesn't rain
I hate my sig
1. Remove tubes.
2. Secure any moving parts (shouldn't really be any but just in case.)
3. Put in trash bag, tie shut.
4. Put in trash bag, tie shut.
5. Put in trash bag, tie shut.
6. Wrap in a moving blanket.
7. Put in trash bag, tie shut.
8. Set it in the truck bed, on a blanket and TIGHTLY secured from ANY movement.
9. Cover with tarp.

At least that's what I would do. Maybe one or two less trash bags but you get the idea. Do all that and you'll be fine.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by WtrPlyr
I'd tell my friend to **** off It's tricky to take your amp in a truck IMO

Haha. Nah he's a nice guy. and I really want to bring it so we can jam with this drummer.

And tubetime, How do you remove tubes? just pull them out? I've never done it before so I'm a little nervous
I hate my sig
Quote by QuantumMechanix
And tubetime, How do you remove tubes? just pull them out? I've never done it before so I'm a little nervous

Ya you just pull straight, no twisting, and try to keep the rocking minimal, though you'll have to rock them a little bit.

Don't be nervous about it, it is actually easier than removing a lightbulb.

Edit: There may be 'D' battery sized metal cylinders housing your pre amp tubes. Those are just to protect them, and they are spring loaded. Just push in and twist... Gently, don't force anything. You should get them off with a little trial and error though. The only way you can break something doing this is if you try to force something. If it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Nov 20, 2009,
Quote by tubetime86
Ya you just pull straight, no twisting, and try to keep the rocking minimal, though you'll have to rock them a little bit.

Don't be nervous about it, it is actually easier than removing a lightbulb.

Ok... and one more thing... (sorry, I'm just trying to be super cautious) Putting them back in. There are four tubes, I guess 2 are pre-amp and 2 are power-amp? how do I know which are which?
I hate my sig
Quote by QuantumMechanix
Ok... and one more thing... (sorry, I'm just trying to be super cautious) Putting them back in. There are four tubes, I guess 2 are pre-amp and 2 are power-amp? how do I know which are which?

Size... You'll know trust me. When you go to put them back in you can either look at the sockets and line up the tubes then push or just put the tube in the socket gently, then twist until you feel the pins line up then just push up. Again a little rocking may be necessary but not more than a few degrees either way or you may bend a pin.

Don't apologize for asking, you are doing the right thing to verify this stuff. The people that piss us off are the ones who don't ask then come here wanting help to fix the amp they ruined by not asking.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Size... You'll know trust me. When you go to put them back in you can either look at the sockets and line up the tubes then push or just put the tube in the socket gently, then twist until you feel the pins line up then just push up. Again a little rocking may be necessary but not more than a few degrees either way or you may bend a pin.

Don't apologize for asking, you are doing the right thing to verify this stuff. The people that piss us off are the ones who don't ask then come here wanting help to fix the amp they ruined by not asking.

Alright man, thanks alot. I'll try that out
I hate my sig
Quote by QuantumMechanix

Actually all 4 are power tubes, so remove all of them, then your preamp tubes should be protected by small silver covers, just push those up and twist to expose the tube, but I highly doublt you need to remove those since they have springs to keep them in.
Quote by tubetime86
1. Remove tubes.
2. Secure any moving parts (shouldn't really be any but just in case.)
3. Put in trash bag, tie shut.
4. Put in trash bag, tie shut.
5. Put in trash bag, tie shut.
6. Wrap in a moving blanket.
7. Put in trash bag, tie shut.
8. Set it in the truck bed, on a blanket and TIGHTLY secured from ANY movement.
9. Cover with tarp.

At least that's what I would do. Maybe one or two less trash bags but you get the idea. Do all that and you'll be fine.

If any water gets in through that, then assume witches.

seriously, I don't even think that many trash bags will fit over the amp.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
buy a case ?

or go with tubetime's suggestion
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by osXtiger
If any water gets in through that, then assume witches.

seriously, I don't even think that many trash bags will fit over the amp.

I forgot a step; step 8 should be 'dip entire bundle into wax then allow to dry... repeat until there is a 4 inch thick coating of wax over the whole thing.'

There, that should do it.

TS - The guy who said those 4 tubes are power is probably right on that, I'm sorry I'm not familiar with that amp. He is also correct in saying that the metal tube retainers springs will most likely keep the preamp tubes in place just fine. So you may just want to forget about those. I wouldn't worry about them, except maybe to check them before powering up when you get there.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by forsaknazrael
Wow. A lot of caution and preparation here. I just toss my amp in the trunk.

I usually coat mine with beer, smoke and well.. there is that slut who likes to sit on the cab sometimes.
TS: some amps are balance-biased, which just means you need to keep track of which tube went where. Mark them left to right 1 through four or something.
Just keep track somehow, you can use sticky notes, dry erase marker, whatever.

IMPORTANT!
When you put the tubes back in, be sure to line up the "key".
If you're looking at the tube pins, in the center will be a raised plastic center, with a ridge on it. That ridge must line up with the channel (key-way) in the tbe socket. Tubes are solid, but these keys are easy to break!
Not sure about all this prep like marking and removing tubes. My kustom coupe went in the bed of my truck for the 10 hour trip to florida and back twice. Never did more than slide some trash bags over it just in case. I would look in the back and make sure the power amp tubes hadnt moved, which they hadnt, before using it. I even put all my cables in the back along with several pedals.