I receive my AL-3000 Goldtop last night so I am ready to give you the low down between the epiphone ultra and the Agile Al-3000.

First the picture :

Ebony fret and abalone inlay

Tune-o-matic bridge and gold flake paint job

Headstock

Full shot

Epiphone

Let's start with the cosmetic / finish :

It hard to tell both are well done. Almost flawless. Although I did notice a few black spot on the goldtop but you really have to look for it. The binding on the body are spot on. The agile has definitely more bling to it. The abalone inlays are great. It hard to compare gold to nickel hardware.

Epiphone : B
Agile : B+ (more bling)

Hardware :
Ok this is where I see more differences between the 2. First thing I have notice on the Agile is the TOM bridge and the pickup select switch is very cheap. Tuners are decent on both guitar. It almost impossible to keep the Epiphone in tune with the plastic nut factory installed. The agile get the victory on that. Even with brand new cheap string, it stays in tune.

Grade :
Epiphone : B - (Cannot stay in tune with plastic nut)
Agile : B- ( Bridge and selector switch gotta go)

Neck :
They are very very similar neck profile. This is a matter of preferences. Both felt great to play. MOP vs Abalone is also a matter of taste. Both inlays are well done.

Grade : Both A

Action/Setup
My Epiphone was setup very high at purchase. It was never setup by a professional. The agile was setup very low at at annoying fret buzz on fret 1 and 2. I needed to adjust the truss rod. This can be due to shipping. It is fair to assume that both of theses guitar needs to be setup by a luthier. This is the case for most guitars with factory setup.

Grade : Both C (needs to be setup)

Sound
Great differences between the 2 axes. Humbucker vs P90 will make a huge difference. My epiphone has been upgrade to Gibson '57 classic. I am using stock pickup on the Agile. All my playing session where done on a Vox AC4TV10 with a line 6 pod XT. It really hard to compare different pickup but overall I felt like the Agile had more mojo to it. During my playing session. The neck pickup felt and sounded better to me. I thought the bridge pickup was a little thin on the Agile.

Grade :
Epiphone : B- (great paf vintage sounds but something is missing)
Agile : B+ ( more mojo)

Overall, I think that Agile is better platform to upgrade from. You need to invest on a new bridge/selector switch and probably pots/caps. The epiphone is not bad at all. It's a good guitar but its missing a little something something. Probably redoing the wiring /pots/ caps would resolve that. Plastic nut is horrible. String are binding. Cannot finish 1 song without being out of tune.
Nice to see an honest review of an Agile for once.

I doff my cap to thee.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by ch0
Nice to see an honest review of an Agile for once.

I doff my cap to thee.

Ty but I still dislike ibanez guitar :-P
can you explain a little more exactly why you thought the agile TOM felt cheaper than the one on the epi? were the saddles moving from side to side? if thats the case, just stuff some foam down around them and that will fix that.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Quote by SYLrules88
can you explain a little more exactly why you thought the agile TOM felt cheaper than the one on the epi? were the saddles moving from side to side? if thats the case, just stuff some foam down around them and that will fix that.

Yep. they were moving from side to side. I am replacing the bridge tomorrow. I think this is the weakest part of the Agile. The rest is pretty darn good.
Quote by Symtex
Ty but I still dislike ibanez guitar :-P
That's alright, nobody's perfect.

I can't wrap my head around why people find Bruce Campbell so entertaining.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
To be fair, as far as the Tune-o_matic thing goes, one of the things Epiphone really has nailed down is their hardware. They have LockTone ToM/Stopbar bridges and 18:1 Grover tuners; you can't exactly get any better than that. Arguably, Epiphones have better bridges than Gibson Standards do. It's not much of a surprise that it beats the Agile in this department.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by RAAAGE
Isn't the Agile alot cheaper, too?

This model is around 200$ cheaper then the Ultra. Don't forget that I modded the ultra with '57 classic.
great review! i didn't know these threads were even allowed... thought they would fall into the "versus" threads category. wish there were more reviews on these forums!
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip