Hi there!
Does anybody know how to figure out a songs key even if your ear is not capable of hearing this?
Its like, i dont have any sheet for the song, nor the chord progression.
But is it possible to figure the key out without the chordprograssion or a superb ear?

Basiclly, im looking for the key that Yngwie Malmsteen - Beyond the sun: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK0rvReE-4c

I really dont know, but i think its something like F#m?
It would be great if anyone knew the chordprogression, or only the key. I am going to play it at my exam for the year, and i have to learn it by one month and its nice to improvise at it as well.

Thanks!

One day you`re gonna wake up and you`ll be 30 years old and you won`t have done a damn thing with your life.
Eartraining is such a critical element for advancing as a player, either recreationally or professionally. I would encourage you to make a plan to work on your ear training - it's not a skill you can really afford to ignore if you want to improve.

As for the Yngwie tune, I will take a listen and see if I can post back some of the key info and chord changes but just knowing his neo-classical metal style a lot of his compositions are in Harmonic minor keys. So if you are hearing a predominant F#m sound, chances are he is playing in F# Harmonic Minor. The harmonic minor scale formula is : I, II, b3, IV, V, #V, VII. The distinct sound of the scale is highlighted by the minor 3rd interval between the #5 and natual 7 tones of the 6/7 scale tones and really kills on dark sounding or gothic sounding metal.
Main Rig:Yami Pac1412 TransRed (EVO, HS2, Hot Rails) ->Bad Horsie->GNX3K ->MagicStomp->L/R PA
Ampeg VL503, Ampeg V4, Digitech GNX2, Art SGX2K; AXES: Yam Pac1412 RedBurst & Weddington Custom & CPX-15W, '63 Gibson SG Custom & '80 ES-350T
Yeah i know those scales, and he probably uses the diminished scale as well.
But the problem is really the chordprogression and key, not the scale he uses, anyway thanks.
And i do some ear traning, using earmaster pro as help, its really good.

One day you`re gonna wake up and you`ll be 30 years old and you won`t have done a damn thing with your life.
Sorry for the doublepost, but i reaaaally need help.

Quote by keven93
Hi there!
Does anybody know how to figure out a songs key even if your ear is not capable of hearing this?
Its like, i dont have any sheet for the song, nor the chord progression.
But is it possible to figure the key out without the chordprograssion or a superb ear?

Basiclly, im looking for the key that Yngwie Malmsteen - Beyond the sun: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK0rvReE-4c

I really dont know, but i think its something like F#m?
It would be great if anyone knew the chordprogression, or only the key. I am going to play it at my exam for the year, and i have to learn it by one month and its nice to improvise at it as well.

Thanks!

I think it's in F minor / Ab Major.
Yeah, but its in Eb tuning so its played like F#m.
Thanks

Quote by keven93
Yeah, but its in Eb tuning so its played like F#m.
Thanks

Thats irrelevant. It doesn't change the key of the piece. It only changes where you play it on your instrument.

Its still Fm
Quote by richrowley
Thats irrelevant. It doesn't change the key of the piece. It only changes where you play it on your instrument.

Its still Fm

If you had payed attetion to what i said, you would have read that i wrote "Yeah, but its in Eb tuning so its played like F#m."